Banned for Reading Bible BEFORE Class

To date, we have only heard the students version of what happened

Gee Mom, I wasn't doing noth'n. I was sitting there reading my bible when the teacher got all upset

"COLLEGE STUDENT SAYS HE’S BEEN SUSPENDED AFTER HE REFUSED PROF’S DEMAND TO STOMP ON JESUS SIGN
Ryan Rotela, a junior at Florida Atlantic University (FAU), is waging a bizarre allegation against his professor, Dr. Deandre Poole.

The student is claiming that he’s been suspended from his intercultural communications class for refusing to write “JESUS” on a sheet of paper, throw it on the floor and then stomp on it — a request that the instructor apparently made.

If you’re already scratching your head, you’re not alone. The curious claim caught the attention of WPEC-TV, a South Florida CBS affiliate.

Rotela, a devout Mormon, says he refused to participate in the purported activity and told Poole that he found the request offensive.

But the situation purportedly became even more contentious a few days after the alleged paper incident occurred. After Rotela went to his professor’s supervisor to complain, he claims he was suspended from the class.

According to WPEC, here’s how the school responded to an inquiry about the situation:

“Faculty and students at academic institutions pursue knowledge and engage in open discourse. While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate.”

Watch the WPEC-TV show, below:
College Student Says He’s Been Suspended After He Refused Prof’s Demand to Stomp on Jesus Sign

Oh....is that all?

Not like they required him to cut and paste or something

Gee Mom, I wasn't doing noth'n. I was sitting there reading my bible when the teacher got all upset

"COLLEGE STUDENT SAYS HE’S BEEN SUSPENDED AFTER HE REFUSED PROF’S DEMAND TO STOMP ON JESUS SIGN
Ryan Rotela, a junior at Florida Atlantic University (FAU), is waging a bizarre allegation against his professor, Dr. Deandre Poole.

The student is claiming that he’s been suspended from his intercultural communications class for refusing to write “JESUS” on a sheet of paper, throw it on the floor and then stomp on it — a request that the instructor apparently made.

If you’re already scratching your head, you’re not alone. The curious claim caught the attention of WPEC-TV, a South Florida CBS affiliate.

Rotela, a devout Mormon, says he refused to participate in the purported activity and told Poole that he found the request offensive.

But the situation purportedly became even more contentious a few days after the alleged paper incident occurred. After Rotela went to his professor’s supervisor to complain, he claims he was suspended from the class.

According to WPEC, here’s how the school responded to an inquiry about the situation:

“Faculty and students at academic institutions pursue knowledge and engage in open discourse. While at times the topics discussed may be sensitive, a university environment is a venue for such dialogue and debate.”

College Student Says He’s Been Suspended After He Refused Prof’s Demand to Stomp on Jesus Sign

Oh....is that all?

Rub your face in your Fascism some more?

Sure.

1. Six-year-old Zachary Hood was happy at this chance to be recognized for his good reading performance. He and the other students in the first-grade class at Haines School in Medford, New Jersey, would be allowed to read a story to their classmates. Zachary initially selected Dr. Suess's The Cat in the Hat, but decided that it was too long and picked a story about Jacob and Esau from The Beginner's Bible instead. … Unfortunately teacher Grace Oliva decided the story was inappropriate, since it has based on the Bible. She would not allow Zachary to read it to the students. A Magazine of Religious Freedom

Oh....is that all?

Sure.

1. Six-year-old Zachary Hood was happy at this chance to be recognized for his good reading performance. He and the other students in the first-grade class at Haines School in Medford, New Jersey, would be allowed to read a story to their classmates. Zachary initially selected Dr. Suess's The Cat in the Hat, but decided that it was too long and picked a story about Jacob and Esau from The Beginner's Bible instead. … Unfortunately teacher Grace Oliva decided the story was inappropriate, since it has based on the Bible. She would not allow Zachary to read it to the students. A Magazine of Religious Freedom

The Cat in the Hat is more true than the Bible

At least it rhymes

Oh....is that all?

Sure.

At least it rhymes

Soooo.....why are you communists so worried about having folks read it?

“A Lewis-Palmer High School student who was told she must apologize for mentioning Jesus in a valedictorian speech or not receive a diploma…” Monument teen appeals over Jesus graduation speech – The Denver Post

Oh....is that all?

Sure.

At least it rhymes

Soooo.....why are you communists so worried about having folks read it?

“A Lewis-Palmer High School student who was told she must apologize for mentioning Jesus in a valedictorian speech or not receive a diploma…” Monument teen appeals over Jesus graduation speech – The Denver Post

Breaking News......Student kicked out of class for reading the works of FDR

bullshit------even a communist college prof. has a RIGHT to express her opinion----
you are SUPPORTING one POV. Would you suggest that a theology prof----FATHER MACDONALD----be stopped from supporting the concept of DA TRINITY?

You consider supression of a student's rights to be a legitimate expression of her opinion?

Seriously?

I'm sorry...but the whole thing reads like fake news

If they have a tape, why can't we hear it?
The tape was linked. Here it is again:

AUDIO: student forced to stop reading Bible before class

I listened to the tape and thought it would be a smoking gun of the teacher telling the student she didn't want him reading the bible. What it is ...is a tape of the student relaying his side of the story of being banned for reading a bible

My gut feeling on what really happened. The student was a disruptive student in class who had been repeatedly warned about civility. The teacher had lost control of the class and was trying to enforce measures of civility. The student had been told to occupy a desk at the rear of the classroom. So....the kid shows up to class and sits front and center and pulls out his bible. When the professor told him to take his agreed upon seat, he claimed it was because he was reading a bible not because of his previous disruptive behavior

"Your gut feeling ... " Well, hell, that settles it, as far as I'm concerned.

My gut feeling is nobody in the class will collaborate the teacher telling him he can't read the bible

The real story seems to be the teacher telling him he needs to stop being disruptive in class

The teacher's reputation, and reviews by students, would seem to put the lie to your supposition.

https://arizonadailyindependent.com...aim-student-recordings-are-part-of-an-attack/

No other students have come out for or against the incident nor has Martel herself denied wrongdoing.

I'm sorry...but the whole thing reads like fake news

If they have a tape, why can't we hear it?
The tape was linked. Here it is again:

AUDIO: student forced to stop reading Bible before class

I listened to the tape and thought it would be a smoking gun of the teacher telling the student she didn't want him reading the bible. What it is ...is a tape of the student relaying his side of the story of being banned for reading a bible

My gut feeling on what really happened. The student was a disruptive student in class who had been repeatedly warned about civility. The teacher had lost control of the class and was trying to enforce measures of civility. The student had been told to occupy a desk at the rear of the classroom. So....the kid shows up to class and sits front and center and pulls out his bible. When the professor told him to take his agreed upon seat, he claimed it was because he was reading a bible not because of his previous disruptive behavior

"Your gut feeling ... " Well, hell, that settles it, as far as I'm concerned.

My gut feeling is nobody in the class will collaborate the teacher telling him he can't read the bible

The real story seems to be the teacher telling him he needs to stop being disruptive in class

The teacher's reputation, and reviews by students, would seem to put the lie to your supposition.

https://arizonadailyindependent.com...aim-student-recordings-are-part-of-an-attack/

Not really, some love her, some say she is too liberal, most said she gives too much homework

My guess is Bible Boy is one of the ones who hate her. Maybe because she doesn't teach creationism

No other students have come out for or against the incident nor has Martel herself denied wrongdoing.

Outside of rightwing propaganda media, I haven't seen any story other than Bible Boys. Hasn't been any update in two days. This may be one of those stories the media just moves on from

Outside of rightwing propaganda media, I haven't seen any story other than Bible Boys. Hasn't been any update in two days. This may be one of those stories the media just moves on from
Could be. OTOH, when people like you advocate beating such people senseless and justify draconian teaching philosophies, I think the story will remain in the news.

Oh....is that all?

Sure.

At least it rhymes
Interesting. So, if he'd been reading "A Cat in the Hat", you'd be screaming about his rights, but since it was the Bible, you're all about beating him senseless and dragging him out of the room.

bullshit------even a communist college prof. has a RIGHT to express her opinion----
you are SUPPORTING one POV. Would you suggest that a theology prof----FATHER MACDONALD----be stopped from supporting the concept of DA TRINITY?

The concept of the Holly Trinity is pure logic. Any religion that explicitly denies it is wrong, and not a religion at all but only a con.
I knew Holly Trinity in college. Nice tits!

Those who actually attended an accredited college/university know that everyone there is paying for an education. It's not HS where young people are compelled to go. College isn't for everyone, but those who attend and stick with it intend to complete a degree of higher education. As such, professors hired by colleges and universities have an obligation to provide quality education. Their job is to teach. Many use the Socratic method. Simply dictating and shoving their personal ideas and opinions down the throats of students isn't teaching. Since college is done willingly, students will vote with their feet (and money) in avoiding certain professors and/or schools based. As such, be it communism or the Trinity, it's the duty of professors to convey ideas and challenge preconceptions of students. However, even though the professor should be allowed to express those ideas, they shouldn't be shutting down the opinions of students. It appears that is exactly what happened with Martel and Holden. We'll know for certain when all the facts are revealed.

you are still drawing conclusions from a ONE SIDED story
explain why you believe it is one sided.

The so called prof in question has had issues before.

ok-----still has an UNEXPRESSED side to the story----or a side that does not appear here
She's a miktant, anti Christian fruitcake. Martel - History - Northern Arizona University

sheeeeesh!!!! reminds me of some of the fruits I knew in college in the 60's ----
what can you expect with a name like HEATHER------her parents were
"PROGRESSIVES"

It’s apparently OK to read history books at Northern Arizona University, but not the Good Book.

Mark Holden, a 22-year-old history major, tells me he was ordered to leave a lecture hall after his professor objected to him reading the Bible before the start of the class.

“All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil.”

Holden alleges that professor Heather Martel ordered him to put away the Good Book around six minutes before a scheduled history class. It’s unclear why she objected to the reading of God’s word.

According to her biography, Professor Martel is a noted scholar who is working on an essay titled, “The Gender Amazon: Indigenous Female Masculinity in Early Modern European Representations of Contact.” She also teaches classes on Global Queer History and Feminist Theory.

When Holden declined to stop reading his Bible, the professor summoned Derek Heng, the chairman of the department. Heng then proceeded to explain the situation.

Holden recorded the conversation and turned it over to congressional candidate Kevin Cavanaugh. In turn, Cavanaugh provided me with a copy of the audio.

"So Professor Martel says that she doesn't want you sitting in front of her because you put, you know, a Bible out, right?" Heng said.

"So she doesn't want me in the front because I have my Bible out," Holden replied.

"No, I think she — I mean, well, why do you have your Bible out anyway," Heng asked.

After a bit more back and forth regarding the dynamics in the classroom, the chairman of the department got to the heart of the issue. "So, will you, will you, will you, put your Bible away?" Heng asked.

The incident occurred back in February, but just recently became public after Campus Reform reported on the controversy.

Holden had previously drawn the ire of his professor during a classroom discussion on assimilation.

"All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil," Holden said. "I suggested there are both positive and negative aspects to assimilation."

As an example, he referenced a report about two Muslim men in California who reportedly said the Koran justified doing terrible things to women.

"She told me I was a racist and she would not tolerate that kind of racism in the class," Holden said. "I told her Islam was not a race and I was only talking about what the two Muslim men as individuals said — I was not making broad claims about Islam or my interpretation of the Koran."

After a bit of back and forth, Holden said the professor told the class, "Welcome to Trump's new America — where straight white males can say prejudicial things without being reprimanded for it."

Can she order him to do that? Unless there some rules no religious things in class. Or no religious talk in class?

Can the class really have different rule than the college or university. Unless the college or university say no religious stuff.

I mean they are adults and lots older mature adults take
religion in college, university or debate religion in school. I mean that is what college and university is learning things and debating things.

Makes no senses.

Forum List

Back