Banned for Reading Bible BEFORE Class

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
It’s apparently OK to read history books at Northern Arizona University, but not the Good Book.

Mark Holden, a 22-year-old history major, tells me he was ordered to leave a lecture hall after his professor objected to him reading the Bible before the start of the class.

“All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil.”

Holden alleges that professor Heather Martel ordered him to put away the Good Book around six minutes before a scheduled history class. It’s unclear why she objected to the reading of God’s word.

According to her biography, Professor Martel is a noted scholar who is working on an essay titled, “The Gender Amazon: Indigenous Female Masculinity in Early Modern European Representations of Contact.” She also teaches classes on Global Queer History and Feminist Theory.

When Holden declined to stop reading his Bible, the professor summoned Derek Heng, the chairman of the department. Heng then proceeded to explain the situation.

Holden recorded the conversation and turned it over to congressional candidate Kevin Cavanaugh. In turn, Cavanaugh provided me with a copy of the audio.

"So Professor Martel says that she doesn't want you sitting in front of her because you put, you know, a Bible out, right?" Heng said.

"So she doesn't want me in the front because I have my Bible out," Holden replied.

"No, I think she — I mean, well, why do you have your Bible out anyway," Heng asked.

After a bit more back and forth regarding the dynamics in the classroom, the chairman of the department got to the heart of the issue. "So, will you, will you, will you, put your Bible away?" Heng asked.

The incident occurred back in February, but just recently became public after Campus Reform reported on the controversy.

Holden had previously drawn the ire of his professor during a classroom discussion on assimilation.

"All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil," Holden said. "I suggested there are both positive and negative aspects to assimilation."

As an example, he referenced a report about two Muslim men in California who reportedly said the Koran justified doing terrible things to women.

"She told me I was a racist and she would not tolerate that kind of racism in the class," Holden said. "I told her Islam was not a race and I was only talking about what the two Muslim men as individuals said — I was not making broad claims about Islam or my interpretation of the Koran."

After a bit of back and forth, Holden said the professor told the class, "Welcome to Trump's new America — where straight white males can say prejudicial things without being reprimanded for it."

It’s apparently OK to read history books at Northern Arizona University, but not the Good Book.

Mark Holden, a 22-year-old history major, tells me he was ordered to leave a lecture hall after his professor objected to him reading the Bible before the start of the class.

“All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil.”

Holden alleges that professor Heather Martel ordered him to put away the Good Book around six minutes before a scheduled history class. It’s unclear why she objected to the reading of God’s word.

According to her biography, Professor Martel is a noted scholar who is working on an essay titled, “The Gender Amazon: Indigenous Female Masculinity in Early Modern European Representations of Contact.” She also teaches classes on Global Queer History and Feminist Theory.

When Holden declined to stop reading his Bible, the professor summoned Derek Heng, the chairman of the department. Heng then proceeded to explain the situation.

Holden recorded the conversation and turned it over to congressional candidate Kevin Cavanaugh. In turn, Cavanaugh provided me with a copy of the audio.

"So Professor Martel says that she doesn't want you sitting in front of her because you put, you know, a Bible out, right?" Heng said.

"So she doesn't want me in the front because I have my Bible out," Holden replied.

"No, I think she — I mean, well, why do you have your Bible out anyway," Heng asked.

After a bit more back and forth regarding the dynamics in the classroom, the chairman of the department got to the heart of the issue. "So, will you, will you, will you, put your Bible away?" Heng asked.

The incident occurred back in February, but just recently became public after Campus Reform reported on the controversy.

Holden had previously drawn the ire of his professor during a classroom discussion on assimilation.

"All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil," Holden said. "I suggested there are both positive and negative aspects to assimilation."

As an example, he referenced a report about two Muslim men in California who reportedly said the Koran justified doing terrible things to women.

"She told me I was a racist and she would not tolerate that kind of racism in the class," Holden said. "I told her Islam was not a race and I was only talking about what the two Muslim men as individuals said — I was not making broad claims about Islam or my interpretation of the Koran."

After a bit of back and forth, Holden said the professor told the class, "Welcome to Trump's new America — where straight white males can say prejudicial things without being reprimanded for it."

The student must have been reading it out loud without the Professor's permission. Way back in the day before SCOTUS ruled otherwise everyone in my country grade school said the Lord's Prayer first before holding our hands over our hearts saying the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag before class started. SCOTUS ruled saying the Lord's Prayer in a public school is illegal and we had to stop.

Is there a link to the article?

One of the only links I found was to a Fox News article. They have audio of the kid discussing it with the chairman of the department, but it's only about a minute long, and conveniently stops short of the resolution. The audio was provided by some guy who is running for congress who seems to have a hard-on for North Arizona University, judging by his Facebook page which posts about nothing but NAU.

Bible reading not allowed before class, professor tells student

The student must have been reading it out loud without the Professor's permission. Way back in the day before SCOTUS ruled otherwise everyone in my country grade school said the Lord's Prayer first before holding our hands over our hearts saying the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag before class started. SCOTUS ruled saying the Lord's Prayer in a public school is illegal and we had to stop.
Now that's what I call brainwashing.

One of the only links I found was to a Fox News article. They have audio of the kid discussing it with the chairman of the department, but it's only about a minute long, and conveniently stops short of the resolution. The audio was provided by some guy who is running for congress who seems to have a hard-on for North Arizona University, judging by his Facebook page which posts about nothing but NAU.

Staged protest.Fake news.Bollox.

If he was reading it before the class started, they have no right to tell him what he can do.
This is getting ridiculous.

They also have no right to tell him he can't keep it on his desk whether class is in session or not, period.

They also have no right to tell him he can't keep it on his desk whether class is in session or not, period.

Now that's what I call brainwashing.

You have to remember that was back in the day of Sputnik and Missile Gap and the height of the cold war. Sputnik was in 1957 and came to a head during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. My birthday is October 25 which was in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis and I did not know if I would see my next birthday. Everyone was glued to their TV sets.

Last edited:

I found this article on it on the RWish Western Journalism site

See if you get the same laugh I did:

Bible-Reading Student Has Shock Encounter With Lib Prof, Immediately Turns The Tables...

I believe in Jesus but a child shouldn't be forced to accept religion....

It should be a personal choice outside of the school....
this was a university and the person reading the bible was not doing it during the lecture

if he was reading a book about white privilege nothing would have been said to him

and anyway even if he wanted to read the bible during the lecture he has the absolute right to do so it's his money paying for the class

Forum List

Back