Bad news for climate religionists

Here's one more typically from your side of the argument: Andre Revkin in the NY Times:

When Will the Next Ice Age Begin? - NYTimes.com

The idea that glacial cooling is going to save us from AGW simply has no support.

Yes, but if the world is truly going into a cooling phase (which is looking ever more likely) then pump that CO2 into the atmosphere as fast as possible. If AGW actually worked that would be the best possible thing to do.

Sadly though, we live in the real world and that world is getting cold. And cold kills.

At least have the honesty to cite Wikipedia as your reference, instead of citing Wikipedia's reference.

are you people nucking futs?

Its damn cold out there and I'm tired of it. Get to burning those tires!

A report published today in Great Britain has a sobering warning for us all:

The London Express, in a front page headline, says "A NEW ice age could be on its way to Europe after scientists warned of an alarming fall in the performance power of the Sun."

Science writer Owen Bennett points to what British scientists are calling "a drop in gas explosions on the Sun's surface." An 11-year cycle is peaking which normally is accompanied by a large number of gas explosions but, this time around, nada. Or at least far fewer than might be expected.

Bennett quoted one space physicist said he had not seen anything like it in his 30 year career. There are fears the temperatures could drop so low the Thames might freeze over. He further quoted Richard Harrison, head of The Rutherfor Appleton Laboratory near Oxford, as saying "If kyou want to see when the sun was this inactive you have to go back about 100 years."

It's called "The Maunder Minimum". One of the biggest of which swept Europe with freezing temperatures in the 17th Century. The River Thames froze solid and Londoners, several winters, had frost fairs on the ice. It was recorded that even The Baltic Sea iced over!

Yes, that IS climate change. Cyclical climate change as God (if there is one) or Mother Nature (if there is one) ordained. But not the sort The First Algorean Church of Global Warming had pinned hopes on.

Hard cheese, that.

You mean that global mean temperature is also dependent on solar output?

So, this new ice age...when did it happen?

Oh, I see, it hasn't...

Perhaps you should come back when it actually does.

Last edited:

The London Express, in a front page headline, says "A NEW ice age could be on its way to Europe after scientists warned of an alarming fall in the performance power of the Sun."

Science writer Owen Bennett points to what British scientists are calling "a drop in gas explosions on the Sun's surface." An 11-year cycle is peaking which normally is accompanied by a large number of gas explosions but, this time around, nada. Or at least far fewer than might be expected.

Bennett quoted one space physicist said he had not seen anything like it in his 30 year career. There are fears the temperatures could drop so low the Thames might freeze over. He further quoted Richard Harrison, head of The Rutherfor Appleton Laboratory near Oxford, as saying "If kyou want to see when the sun was this inactive you have to go back about 100 years."

It's called "The Maunder Minimum". One of the biggest of which swept Europe with freezing temperatures in the 17th Century. The River Thames froze solid and Londoners, several winters, had frost fairs on the ice. It was recorded that even The Baltic Sea iced over!

Yes, that IS climate change. Cyclical climate change as God (if there is one) or Mother Nature (if there is one) ordained. But not the sort The First Algorean Church of Global Warming had pinned hopes on.

Hard cheese, that.

You must have blinked and missed it! :lol:

Hard cheese, that.

You must have blinked and missed it! :lol:

Yep, that's usually how I miss things.

At least have the honesty to cite Wikipedia as your reference, instead of citing Wikipedia's reference.

You're correct when you note that I should have cited Wikipedia. You're incorrect when you suggest I lack honesty.

And thoughtlessly rude.

Last edited:
Even if the sun goes into a new Maunder minimum, an event which most everyone puts at a low probability, that just offsets 5 years of our greenhouse gas emissions. That is, the only cooling effect it would have would be to delay the warming by 5 years.

Even if the sun goes into a new Maunder minimum, an event which most everyone puts at a low probability, that just offsets 5 years of our greenhouse gas emissions. That is, it would only delay the warming by 5 years.

And Yellowstone erupts in two years so all GW religionists and all deniers will be dead. So what's your point?

It's no less valid a position, than Abby Hamhocks claiming that the sun dictates when the next glacial period is supposed to start.

It's no less valid a position, than Abby Hamhocks claiming that the sun dictates when the next glacial period is supposed to start.

Is Abby Hamhock supposed to be me? Do I detect a certain amount of antisemitism? Admirable behavior there [this is sarcasm - I don't actually believe your behavior is the least bit admirable]

And, would you care to show us where I said the sun dictates when the next glacial period is supposed to start? I suspect I know the source of your confusion. You need to look up Milankovitch Cycles and then work on composing your attempt to make us all believe you knew what you were talking about the entire time.

triomphe-de-la-volonte-01-g.jpg

Even if the sun goes into a new Maunder minimum, an event which most everyone puts at a low probability, that just offsets 5 years of our greenhouse gas emissions. That is, the only cooling effect it would have would be to delay the warming by 5 years.

Here's where you'll learn how USELESS Global Averages really are.. When the IPCC Minimum (my choice of name) hits --- You will see a 1 to 2degC reduction in the N. Hemi. with a GLOBAL average of only about 0.3degC..

When you discuss solar insolation, the ENTIRE effect hits the mid-lats seasonally, hardly nothing at the poles. Because there's not much sun at the poles is there?

So your ass will freeze A LOT quicker than than a caribou's.. AND it will wipe out ALL the global warming in your lifetime and in your granddaddy's lifetime..

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/holocene/public_html/shared/articles/Shindelletal01.pdf

Last edited:

Is Abby Hamhock supposed to be me? Do I detect a certain amount of antisemitism? Admirable behavior there [this is sarcasm - I don't actually believe your behavior is the least bit admirable]

And, would you care to show us where I said the sun dictates when the next glacial period is supposed to start? I suspect I know the source of your confusion. You need to look up Milankovitch Cycles and then work on composing your attempt to make us all believe you knew what you were talking about the entire time.

Again.. Milankovitch cycles do not completely jive with the glacial intervals.. You need to read the paper I posted in a thread recently titled something like "Solar beats Milankovitch"

Solar output PLUS Milankovitch probably CAN explain the glacials.. Either one alone -- can not.

Forum List

Back