Auto-Industry Planning New Wave of Hiring

Bullish U.S. Auto Industry Plans New Hiring

“We are hearing from U.S. automakers that they are poised for growth, but are struggling with their ability to find the right people with the right technical skill sets for jobs they are looking to fill,” Gary Silberg, KPMG’s national automotive industry leader, said. “This is becoming an increasing cause for concern, not just for auto companies, but for many companies in the manufacturing sector.”

So, yeah, I guess "let Detroit go bankrupt" can fuck right off, huh? Also, note the bold.

Gee, think maybe it'd be a good idea to sink some money to training people for these jobs...like some kind of government help to get people trained to take all these jobs and get production back into the economy?

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Another person who is completely ignorant of what happens in a bankrupcy proceedings (BTW GM DID file for brakrupcy General Motors bankruptcy: End of an era - Jun. 1, 2009 )

And for the record, companies are more optimistic about hiring because they realize Obama isnt going to be reelected.

So, yeah, I guess "let Detroit go bankrupt" can fuck right off, huh? Also, note the bold.

Gee, think maybe it'd be a good idea to sink some money to training people for these jobs...like some kind of government help to get people trained to take all these jobs and get production back into the economy?

I wonder how long it will last since they can not make the sales without subprime loans being the primary finance vehicle.
so you are saying that Americans cannot afford to buy new cars unless subsidized by low interest rates?

Not all Americans. Some of us could just write a check. But here in Grand Rapids, MI the most prominent radio station (WOOD 1300am, 106.9fm) runs ads every day from some bank or credit union touting car loans for folks who wouldn't normally qualify. No problem according to the ad, c'mon in we've got money for you. I couldn't believe it first time I heard it. It's like they've forgotten what happened lending money for homes to people not qualified under normal lending criteria. How long until these car buyers can't or won't repay? It's crazy.

I'll never buy a brand new car again....it's unbelievable how expensive they've gotten and they don't increase in value either! Nope, give me my 2002 Grand prix and i'm a happy camper.....not handing hundreds over to a bank every month!

And i bet this wave of hiring will only be temporary, that's probably why they can't find anyone to do it. And.....anyone can afford to go to school and learn a trade, there's loans available out there for that, people just need to take the time to look around. But they don't want to be strapped with the expense of paying it back so they do nothing. If the training were free to them i'm sure there would be a lot of people doing it, but if they have to pay for it they would rather sit on their ass and collect from the govt (and us taxpayers).

It is almost amusing how willing you are to take other people's money and give it to the government to spend for them. That seems to be your answer for everything.

Speaking of gangstas, I bet Detroit is swamped with high school dropouts. No wonder the car companies can't find any talent.

If you want a job that pays, then it is incumbent upon you to acquire that training yourself. Stay in school.

Our primary and secondary schools, as I have said countless times, need to start educating our kids for the jobs of tomorrow, not the jobs of yesterday. The days of growing up to work in the same factory as your daddy are long gone.

The days of making bad decisions and then expecting the government to hand you a job and all the training you need at others' expense are just about over, too.

You, like a lot of Conservatives, are intellectually dishonest to a level of sheer brilliance. What do you call the Defense industry, g5000? They take my tax dollars and build bombs, guns, tanks, jets and other implements of death. I don't like that. But yet I have no choice. So why don't you quit with the "Boy, you sure are good at spending other people's money" bullshit. Your side has been doing it since the Cold War build up. It's called the Industrial Military Complex.

As for education, I couldn't agree more. We should be training our kids on new energy sources, and on new technologies. We should be encouraging science and math education, of course.

What do you think we spend more on: Corporate Welfare or "traditional" Welfare? Do we have to keep subsidizing the bad decisions of Corporations too?

Just yesterday I went on a screed about government not allowing banks to suffer the consequences of their mistakes. In fact, I equated the high school dropout to the Too Big Too Fail banks. I strongly oppose all enabling of bad behaviors by the government.

ETA:
It is precisely because we have stopped holding people accountable for their choices that we are now in the position of being held hostage by LOSERS.

We stopped letting high school dropouts fail, and we stopped letting banks that overleverage and take astronomical risks fail.

Christ, there are people who want to stop letting kids keep score on the sports field or receive an F in class.

This is bullshit.

The economy is wrecked because we have strayed far from our roots, and we have grown a MASSIVE class of government dependents at BOTH ends of the socioeconomic scale.

Time to wean all of them off the government tit. You drop out of high school, we let you sink. You fuck up your bank, you sink out of sight. Period.

You want to go all Obama on their asses, you tell them, "We built you a high school. We built you a central bank. The rest is on you."

Last edited:
I think all the Tea Baggers are (not surprisingly) missing the point:

I thought the economy was in the shit house and Obama was bad for business? And yet, here's a titan of the American economy telling us they're set to go on a hiring spree.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I think you've missed my point. Obama is bad for business. But Obama's incompetant reign of government is about to come to an end. so there are plenty of reasons for businesses to be optimistic.

You, like a lot of Conservatives, are intellectually dishonest to a level of sheer brilliance. What do you call the Defense industry, g5000? They take my tax dollars and build bombs, guns, tanks, jets and other implements of death. I don't like that. But yet I have no choice. So why don't you quit with the "Boy, you sure are good at spending other people's money" bullshit. Your side has been doing it since the Cold War build up. It's called the Industrial Military Complex.

As for education, I couldn't agree more. We should be training our kids on new energy sources, and on new technologies. We should be encouraging science and math education, of course.

What do you think we spend more on: Corporate Welfare or "traditional" Welfare? Do we have to keep subsidizing the bad decisions of Corporations too?

You don't like the government keeping our enemies from killing you? If it bothers you that much, im sure we could make arrangements for you...

I wonder how long it will last since they can not make the sales without subprime loans being the primary finance vehicle.
so you are saying that Americans cannot afford to buy new cars unless subsidized by low interest rates?

Not all Americans. Some of us could just write a check. But here in Grand Rapids, MI the most prominent radio station (WOOD 1300am, 106.9fm) runs ads every day from some bank or credit union touting car loans for folks who wouldn't normally qualify. No problem according to the ad, c'mon in we've got money for you. I couldn't believe it first time I heard it. It's like they've forgotten what happened lending money for homes to people not qualified under normal lending criteria. How long until these car buyers can't or won't repay? It's crazy.

There have always been those types out there.

My credit union auto loan rate is 2.25%

I think all the Tea Baggers are (not surprisingly) missing the point:

I thought the economy was in the shit house and Obama was bad for business? And yet, here's a titan of the American economy telling us they're set to go on a hiring spree.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Good news ..

How long will sales last with the subprimes? Will there be more loan defaults.

I dont know why I pose these questions to you.

Parrots do not think, they repeat.

CRACKER?

I'll never buy a brand new car again....it's unbelievable how expensive they've gotten and they don't increase in value either! Nope, give me my 2002 Grand prix and i'm a happy camper.....not handing hundreds over to a bank every month!

And i bet this wave of hiring will only be temporary, that's probably why they can't find anyone to do it. And.....anyone can afford to go to school and learn a trade, there's loans available out there for that, people just need to take the time to look around. But they don't want to be strapped with the expense of paying it back so they do nothing. If the training were free to them i'm sure there would be a lot of people doing it, but if they have to pay for it they would rather sit on their ass and collect from the govt (and us taxpayers).

i agree. i wouldnt buy new if i could

Sure is. Our business is up 40% from last year and 80% from 2008. We sell heat buffer cloth to domestic windshield makers. We're actually doing BETTER yearly than we were pre-2008.

You don't like the government keeping our enemies from killing you? If it bothers you that much, im sure we could make arrangements for you...

That's awesome rhetoric. But not really much substance there. If you assert, as every Tea Bagger does, that all Government spending is full of waste and corruption, you have to assume it happens at the DOD, right? Or do you just want to admit your intellectual dishonesty now?

and the automobile industry would have collapsed without a regular bankruptcy procedure? Nope. I mean GM filed bankruptcy so they already went bankrupt just didn't do it the way everyone else has to. I hope they can survive with all that free money they got.

This is right up Obama's alley, the goverment can train the works and then let them become union members and wala, instant democrat vote. It is just like community organizers. We will have more $60/hr people making care to sell to people making $10.

"You don't like the government keeping our enemies from killing you? If it bothers you that much, im sure we could make arrangements for you..."

So you are in favor of fighting the unwinnable war in Afghanistan and Im sure then that we needed to topple iraq. We got hussein, done. Get out. Whats the point?

It could be viewed that way. I cant say with any certainty why most of the sales are sub prime loans.

I guess the half price sale at the end of last year didnt generate enough sales..........

Can you prove that "most of the sales are sub prime loans", or are you just making shit up. I do know that GM is offering loans to people with lower credit ratings than they had, but we don't know how low, compared to credit granted prior to the Bush economic collapse.

“We are hearing from U.S. automakers that they are poised for growth, but are struggling with their ability to find the right people with the right technical skill sets for jobs they are looking to fill,” Gary Silberg, KPMG’s national automotive industry leader, said. “This is becoming an increasing cause for concern, not just for auto companies, but for many companies in the manufacturing sector.”

Let the fucking car companies train their own employees why the fuck should we have to pay for that too?

In other words, the failures of our education system are GM's fault. It's got nothing to do with teachers' unions.

Forum List

Back