atheist and christmas

What's so hard about telling children that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birthday? You don't have to believe he was the son of God, but he did exist, and has had a profound influence on the world. My children know all about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, and a whole slew of other holidays. But we don't celebrate them. If you are to celebrate Christmas, at least give the kids a reason. That's all I'm sayin...

Because it isn't ... it's a holiday that was a bunch of holidays smashed into one.

and christians use it to celebrate the birth of christ....that is what i think is the cool thing about christmas.....everyone gets to "use" it who they see fit.....

Merry Solstice, clic on pic $padeswood 072.jpg

Considering ... since they don't really know if the child has been "good" or "bad" ... I wonder how many kids are being rewarded for bad behavior by this "Santa Claus" ... :eusa_whistle:

And then there's the degrees of bad and good and different standards of conduct and ... it just gets to be a big mess. :tongue:

My cruel parents did toy with one of my brothers though. He was a ... precocious lad and prone to making faces during family pictures, causing trouble, etc. So, the did actually put sticks and stones and coal in his stocking. And then they captured that Kodak moment on 8mm film. :badgrin:

Ah, fun with your kids.

Now that would work ... but much of what a kid does wrong is not known by their parents ...

What's so hard about telling children that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birthday? You don't have to believe he was the son of God, but he did exist, and has had a profound influence on the world. My children know all about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, and a whole slew of other holidays. But we don't celebrate them. If you are to celebrate Christmas, at least give the kids a reason. That's all I'm sayin...

Because it isn't ... it's a holiday that was a bunch of holidays smashed into one.

and christians use it to celebrate the birth of christ....that is what i think is the cool thing about christmas.....everyone gets to "use" it who they see fit.....

Exactly! :cool:

Goes for all holidays really, but meh. Why do christians celebrate Halloween?

See manifold I might be able to find a wife who is accepting of that idea :).

There are still some un-brainwashed ones out there.

Some don't even freak over anniversaries, birthdays and *gasp* Valentine's day. :rolleyes:

Valentine's Day is the one holiday I just don't get ... so you only love your "partner" one day a year? Bah! Give me gifts all year long damn it!

Some don't even freak over anniversaries, birthdays and *gasp* Valentine's day. :rolleyes:

Valentine's Day is the one holiday I just don't get ... so you only love your "partner" one day a year? Bah! Give me gifts all year long damn it!

Ya ....like THAT'S gonna happen to a girl that doesn't like sex. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, it's a big Hallmark holiday.

And you don't have to get gifts all year long, just treat your partner right and let them know they're special all year long. That would be a lot better.

No you cant have that 2 carat diamond i've been saving for that special someone, stop trying to bribe me with your sanity :)

DISCLAIMER: I dont really have that diamond.

Ya ....like THAT'S gonna happen to a girl that doesn't like sex. :cuckoo::cuckoo:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Meh ... if I did get into a relationship (when I get a full frontal lobotomy) then it would. :razz:

Yeah, it's a big Hallmark holiday.

And you don't have to get gifts all year long, just treat your partner right and let them know they're special all year long. That would be a lot better.

Not entirely ... it's predates Hallmark, originally there was a holiday at the time centered on Aphrodite ... but we won't get into details on that one. ;)

Not entirely ... it's predates Hallmark, originally there was a holiday at the time centered on Aphrodite ... but we won't get into details on that one. ;)

I wasn't commenting on the origins specifically, more what it had become. Flowers, cards, diamonds, chocolate .... bah!

Well, the chocolate part is ok. ;)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back