Assisted Suicide

Once you start down the road ....... it is a slippery slope.

I'm so fucking tired of any bend in the rules being avoided because of some gawddamn imaginary "slippery slope," or the always retarded "domino effect."

Hey, guess what: We can adjust the rules back and forth until we get them right, for christssakes.

Coupled with the fact that you can make a "slippery slope" argument over anything. I guess we should halt all discussion.

After all, it's all a slippery slope!

The whole subject deserves lubrication.

Death is not a right, peeps. That said, people who want to commit suicide generally can and do find a way. Assisted suicide isn't *suicide*. It's euthanasia. And it's wrong.

And I'm tired of the left encouraging despair and constantly trying to find new ways to kill people off.

I'm tired of the right encouraging people (and there loved ones) in despair and pain to hang in there a bit longer so big pharma and the medical industrial complex can bleed the estate (and in many cases bleed Medicare/Medicade) of the terminally ill.

Lol..damn those right wingers for valuing life!

Allie, I value life as much as you do. However, I also value the quality of life. A dear friend of mine had injured his back and it was in operable. He was in excruciating pain. He had to take levels of narcotics that were so high to combat the pain that he was no longer lucid. He was barely above a zombie (it took about 10 years to get to that level) so here you had a man who was incredibly intelligent who could no longer think. To be able to think and interact with people he had to endure pain you, I hope, will never imagine. He finally swam out into the sea and never returned. He was existing, not living. He made the right decision though it saddened me and all of his friends and family terribly. But we knew that he no longer hurt and that was more important.

KYcat.preview.jpg

Since the topic bothers you, here. Kitteh won't mind if you rub some on yourself and squeeze in to join it in the wall.

:tongue:

Meanwhile, I was talking with SIL and the subject came up. As usual, it was a waste of breath. But it is an interesting subject.
I browsed the net and what I found was most those who asked about suicide were urged to grow up; it is against Christ's teachings; it is against the law; don't be stupid; you will hurt those who love you and in general complete strangers telling another complete stranger to "hang in there".
What if the person that was asking has a terminal illness? Do they not have the right to die? We put animals down when they are in pain. Why cannot we show the same tolerance to people who no longer wish to suffer themselves?
I also looked at bible passages and did not find any that said clearly that suicide was not acceptable to God. Interpretors of the bible of course argued for or against according to what they believe, but reading those passages I came to the same conclusion. God did not specifically state one could not kill themself and many who fought in His name did indeed commit suicide. Samson, for one. But he took out his enemies at the same time.
And didn't Jesus himself commit suicide? He know what was going to happen to him. And those against suicide due to religious beliefs do not use that argument when it came to Jesus dying "for our sins".

So. Your opinions are appreciated. Beats talking to yon wall that nods now and then but has the glaze of "huh?" floating in her eyeballs.

Did those who jumped from the towers on 9-11 rather than being burned alive or crushed to death, commit suicide? They did hassen their deaths by doing so.

Good point.

I was listening to a Catholic radio program one day and someone said that the 9-11 jumpers are technically considered suicides but no one knows the mental state of those who jumped so it may not necessarily be considered the sin of suicide.

For or Against? And why?

FOR definitely FOR.

Why?

I can think of three or four people I'd ASSIST today.

Sure, they might object, and say they want to live, but you know how people facing death will lie.

"Dr. Jack Kevorkian has been a compassionate advocate for end-of-life issues for going-on-decades now, and I will be pleased to welcome him into my cabinet as this nation's first Secretary of the Department of Conditional Aging (DCA)," President Obama announced at a short morning press conference.

CAP News | Kevorkian Tapped To Head Death Panel | Satire & Parody

I am sure you realized that this was "satire and parody" right?

Though the Kavorkian issue is an interesting discussion unto itself.

Kavorkian crossed the line when he initiated the process that would kill the patient. That's euthanasia. All indications are that he did it (at the patient's request) simply to push the legal aspects of the issue. That was a huge mistake and unethical in my opinion.

Prior to that, when the patients initiated the process, be it by pulling a clip to allow the deadly drugs to terminate their hearts or whatever method he was employing (he had several different suicide machines), it was "physician assisted suicide" and the people of Michigan refused to indict him for any of those incidents, even though he had clearly violated Michigan state law.

Did those who jumped from the towers on 9-11 rather than being burned alive or crushed to death, commit suicide? They did hassen their deaths by doing so.

Good point.

I was listening to a Catholic radio program one day and someone said that the 9-11 jumpers are technically considered suicides but no one knows the mental state of those who jumped so it may not necessarily be considered the sin of suicide.

I am sure they got off on a technicality in the big hearing.

Seriously, this kind of crap annoys the shit out of me about organized religion.

Because, if there is an all powerful God, he surely would limit his decisions based on the didactic teachings of the catholic church. All suicide is suicide. No exceptions! Those people should have sat there and taken their incineration like an adult!

Forum List

Back