Assange Op Ed in The Australian newspaper

One more time I said it was against board rules. Now I'm through

You are wrong on both counts. The board rules only apply to articles and copyrighted material. The cables are not articles nor are they copyrighted...

ask one of the mods I posted the rule read it or ask them

I don't need to ask them, I know the rules. I've been here four years longer than you, so am au fait with them. If you can't admit you are wrong, fine. Doesn't make you right though, just makes you stupid....

This guy should be kept in jail for as long as possible. He is a menace to society.

So it's a "menace to society" to tell people the truth?

He's a menace to a corrupted government.

All governments are corrupt, to some extent. The status quo is corrupt.

But he's not going to damage anything. The status quo will continue, politicians will remain corrupt, and wikileaks will just fade into the backround as another non-issue.

Remember when there were 30 threads a day about the "Ground Zero Mosque"?

They're still building it. Why no more threads about it?

Absolutely. Civil disobedience is important to keep an out of control government in check, and Manning exposed criminal activities that our State Dept. has been involved in. He should be praised, and Hillary and Condoleezza should be in prison.
I think you could make a case for whistleblowing if he actually exposed any criminal activity...like proof of torture or war crimes. He didn't. I would be surprised, and in fact disappointed, to find that our government did not keep tabs on other governments, friendly or not. I'd also be surprised if other governments didn't keep tabs on ours.

There is nothing in what was released that anyone needs to know...except that the State Department is doing what it is supposed to do.

Stealing credit card information, banking information, physical DNA, etc... is a crime.
But stealing classified information is not?

Absolutely. Civil disobedience is important to keep an out of control government in check, and Manning exposed criminal activities that our State Dept. has been involved in. He should be praised, and Hillary and Condoleezza should be in prison.
Manning is a little thief who thought the rules didn't apply to him. He's since found out that actions have consequences. That's a novel concept to you leftists, isn't it?

Maybe you can visit him in jail and organize candlelight vigils.

Leftist? :lol:
Yes, leftist. Conservatives don't cheer on traitors and spies.
Maybe I can, I'd love to chat with him.
Maybe you can send him a picture of your hands.

You know he can't do that it would b against board rules and copy right infringment.

I don't know that it would be against board rules or copyright infringement, but I'm not going to copy and paste the entire cable, which is fairly long, regardless. However, it doesn't matter. I copied the relevant portions of the cable, if she can't form an opinion from what I've supplied she won't be able to form an opinion from the rest of the cable I don't think. As to why she doesn't want to go to the website I have no idea.

Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/47455-usmb-rules-and-regulations.html
Copyright law doesn't prohibit it...materials produced by government workers as part of their official duties are in the public domain.

What prohibits it, however, is 18 U.S.C. § 793 : US Code - Section 793: Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information:

(e) Whoever having unauthorized possession of, access to, or
control over any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch,
photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model,
instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or
information relating to the national defense which information the
possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the
United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully
communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated,
delivered, or transmitted, or attempts to communicate, deliver,
transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted the
same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains
the same and fails to deliver it to the officer or employee of the
United States entitled to receive it...
...Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten
years, or both.​

Don't post anything here. It's a violation of Federal law.

The cables are not copyrighted, there would be no copyright violation.

Heres the post in question

Quote: Originally Posted by Ravi
I'm not going to that site...so unless you post it in its entirety and tell me the context I can't form an opinion.

Ravi asked him to post the whole link which would be against board rules.

The board rules refer to copyrighted material - articles from newspapers, etc. Most everything on the internet is copyrighted material.

The cables are not copyrighted material. They are now public domain, which means you're free to post as much of them as you want, according to copyright law.

The board rules may be different, I'm not a mod or admin. But there would be no copyright violation.
No, no copyright violation, but a violation of Federal law.

One more time I said it was against board rules. Now I'm through

You are wrong on both counts. The board rules only apply to articles and copyrighted material. The cables are not articles nor are they copyrighted...
You didn't do much research, did you? Otherwise you'd have found out posting classified materials is against the law.

ask one of the mods I posted the rule read it or ask them

I don't need to ask them, I know the rules. I've been here four years longer than you, so am au fait with them. If you can't admit you are wrong, fine. Doesn't make you right though, just makes you stupid....

I don't know that it would be against board rules or copyright infringement, but I'm not going to copy and paste the entire cable, which is fairly long, regardless. However, it doesn't matter. I copied the relevant portions of the cable, if she can't form an opinion from what I've supplied she won't be able to form an opinion from the rest of the cable I don't think. As to why she doesn't want to go to the website I have no idea.

Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/47455-usmb-rules-and-regulations.html
Copyright law doesn't prohibit it...materials produced by government workers as part of their official duties are in the public domain.

What prohibits it, however, is 18 U.S.C. § 793 : US Code - Section 793: Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information:

(e) Whoever having unauthorized possession of, access to, or
control over any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch,
photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model,
instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or
information relating to the national defense which information the
possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the
United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully
communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated,
delivered, or transmitted, or attempts to communicate, deliver,
transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted the
same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains
the same and fails to deliver it to the officer or employee of the
United States entitled to receive it...
...Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten
years, or both.​

Don't post anything here. It's a violation of Federal law.

Dave I said I wasn't going to discuss this anymore but I was mainly talking about board rules specificly this part in the rules.

Copyright Guidelines:

I think this board rule is a two part rule
One part of this rule is addressing posting an article
and the other part of that rule is addresing copyright materals.

No, I quoted the relevant part, but the link is there if you'd like to look at it further. It's not that hard to draw a conclusion. American officials were told to steal biometric and credit card information, among other things, from UN officials, and this cable came from the Secretary of State. These are criminal acts.
I'm not going to that site...so unless you post it in its entirety and tell me the context I can't form an opinion.

You know he can't do that it would b against board rules and copy right infringment.
Sure he could. He could leave off a couple of "ands" and "thes".

There's no context, Kev. I have no idea what prompted that cable or who actually sent it.

Details do matter.

Forum List

Back