As minimum-wage hikes become mandatory, Wendy’s looks to expand self-service kiosks

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Gee, really? Who could have predicted that? Central planners keep thinking they can manipulate the market, but it always backfires on them

With minimum-wage hikes come job cuts. It’s Economics 101.

After New York City and California mandated $15 minimum-wage laws, fast-food chain Wendy’s reacted, announcing Thursday its plans to make available self-serving kiosks in its 6,000-plus restaurants across the country by year’s end.

As minimum-wage hikes become mandatory, Wendy’s looks to expand self-service kiosks

Self-service has been implemented in stores for years, and fast food would have done it the moment it was feasible anyways. The minimum wage has nothing to do with it.

Self-service has been implemented in stores for years, and fast food would have done it the moment it was feasible anyways. The minimum wage has nothing to do with it.

Tell that to the thousands of people currently employed at those stores. If Wendy's uses a minimum of two kiosks at each of their 6,000 stores, that's two employees Wendy's won't need to employ. Now do the math. That's 12,000 lost jobs, right there. I thought we were all about creating jobs, not destroying them.

The minimum wage has everything to do with it. This is what happens when people make unreasonable demands.

Tell that to the thousands of people currently employed at those stores. If Wendy's uses a minimum of two kiosks at each of their 6,000 stores, that's two employees Wendy's won't need to employ. Now do the math. That's 12,000 lost jobs, right there. I thought we were all about creating jobs, not destroying them.

The minimum wage has everything to do with it.

Tell that to the thousands of people replaced over the years who were being paid the current minimum wage. Self-service has been taking jobs for decades, and will continue to. It's about businesses making an extra buck. It never had anything to do with the minimum wage, and even those businesses never claimed such a thing.

Do you really consider working at a fast good place as a real job? You pretend to pay me I pretend to work.

Do you really consider working at a fast good place as a real job? You pretend to pay me I pretend to work.

I spent maybe an hour working today, and got paid for eight. On the way home I stopped by McDonald's and picked up a Bacon Club House. Whoever made it did an awesome job. It even looked like a burger you'd see in a commercial. This kid was probably getting paid minimum wage as his manager bitched over his shoulder that he was taking too long as he stood in a hot kitchen flipping burgers.

Tell that to the thousands of people replaced over the years who were being paid the current minimum wage.

When all the humans are gone, and we are buying our burgers from automatons, where will the $15 crowd be then? Where will folks like you be? You won't be demanding a $15 minimum wage anymore. You'll be crying about the lack of jobs, not the lack of pay. These things have a way of making people gracious for what they have.

Self-service has been taking jobs for decades, and will continue to.

You're making excuses. These restaurants are more than happy to employ human beings at their restaurants, until you start forcing them to meet the demands of those they hired, even if such demands are clearly unreasonable. The simple solution is to eliminate the human element altogether.

Last edited:
If I'm the kid and a good worker I walk out right now. Loyalty has zero place in capitalism.

Tell that to the thousands of people replaced over the years who were being paid the current minimum wage.

When all the humans are gone, and we are buying our burgers from automatons, where will the $15 crowd be then? Where will folks like you be? You won't be demanding a $15 minimum wage anymore. You'll be crying about the lack of jobs, not the lack of pay. These things have a way of making people gracious for what they have,

Self-service has been taking jobs for decades, and will continue to.

You're making excuses. These restaurants are more than happy to employ human beings at their restaurants, until you start forcing them to meet the demands of those they hired, even if such demands are clearly unreasonable. The simple solution is to eliminate the human element altogether.

The minimum wage isn't $15 an hour, and wouldn't be for years, but companies have been implementing self service for decades. It's all about maximum profit at the expense of the worker. Always has been.

It never had anything to do with the minimum wage, and even those businesses never claimed such a thing.

I can quote the CEO from Wendy's and former McDonalds CEO Ed Rensi (stepped down last year) saying the $15 wage is what has spurred and will spur their shift to automation.

Wendy’s Serves Up Big Kiosk Expansion As Wage Hikes Hit Fast Food

The Ugly Truth About A $15 Minimum Wage

Like I said, minimum wage has plenty to do with it, no matter how much you contest otherwise.

The minimum wage isn't $15 an hour, and wouldn't be for years, but companies have been implementing self service for decades

One has zero to do with the other. One was borne out of a want to increase profits, the other is done out of necessity to preserve profits. It doesn't have to be $15 an hour right now. But good businesses will prepare for the change now, rather than later.

Hence this.

Last edited:
Imagine how much better off the nation would be without fast food. Less diabetes cancer arthritis heart disease are just a few things. But some of you idiots will say that fast food going under would hurt the economy...I beg to diffet

Forum List

Back