McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Hikes, Launches McCafe Coffee Kiosk

Bill Gates: People Don't Realize How Many Jobs Will Soon Be Replaced By Software Bots

This is what he said:

"Software substitution, whether it's for drivers or waiters or nurses … it's progressing. ... Technology over time will reduce demand for jobs, particularly at the lower end of skill set. ... 20 years from now, labor demand for lots of skill sets will be substantially lower. I don’t think people have that in their mental model."

He's not the only one predicting this gloomy scenario for workers. In January, the Economist ran a big profile naming over a dozen jobs sure to be taken over by robots in the next 20 years, including telemarketers, accountants and retail workers.

Gates believes that the tax codes are going to need to change to encourage companies to hire employees, including, perhaps, eliminating income and payroll taxes altogether. He's also not a fan of raising the minimum wage, fearing that it will discourage employers from hiring workers in the very categories of jobs that are most threatened by automation.

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

"Software substitution, whether it's for drivers or waiters or nurses … it's progressing. ... Technology over time will reduce demand for jobs, particularly at the lower end of skill set. ... 20 years from now, labor demand for lots of skill sets will be substantially lower. I don’t think people have that in their mental model."

He's not the only one predicting this gloomy scenario for workers. In January, the Economist ran a big profile naming over a dozen jobs sure to be taken over by robots in the next 20 years, including telemarketers, accountants and retail workers.

Gates believes that the tax codes are going to need to change to encourage companies to hire employees, including, perhaps, eliminating income and payroll taxes altogether. He's also not a fan of raising the minimum wage, fearing that it will discourage employers from hiring workers in the very categories of jobs that are most threatened by automation.

He explained:

"When people say we should raise the minimum wage. I worry about what that does to job creation ... potentially damping demand in the part of the labor spectrum that I’m most worried about."

They have been making the same prediction for 100 years

Bill Gates: People Don't Realize How Many Jobs Will Soon Be Replaced By Software Bots

This is what he said:

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

He explained:

"When people say we should raise the minimum wage. I worry about what that does to job creation ... potentially damping demand in the part of the labor spectrum that I’m most worried about."

Software?

You need your eyes checked

the cost of many drugs is going up by 200% soon.

But those aren't human so it's just business. The human costs, at the lowest end of the wage scale, are the ones that ruin everything.
I never understood the contention that the financial well being of a corporation is dependent on the lowest paid worker

It isn't but that is what Republicans sell to their base at every chance. A CEO getting a 25 million dollar bonus is 'capitalism at it's best'. A person making minimum wage getting ANY increase will cause irreparable harm to the company.

It is disgusting.

Well if it were a single person who got paid more under MW increases I might agree with you, but it's not just a few employees making an extra few bucks an hour, it's like 80% of their staff who gets a few bucks more an hour.

Rough example, a single McD has roughly 40 employees and figure 5 of them already make more than $15/h (shift & store manager(s), etc.), so you're talking about going from an annual wage expense of $15,080 per employee to $31,200 - that's an increase of $564,200 a year for the raw paid wage alone. Then you have to add in the various rate based "fees" employees also have to pay $35k a year more in Social Security Taxes (rate is 6.2% of employee's gross pay), $8k a year more in Medicare taxes (1.45% of employee's gross pay), then there's like roughly $34-64k more for FUTA and SUTA taxes, which are funky and vary state to state so I'm not going to get into the "true" math for them (FUTA is basically a flat rate of 6% of each employee's first $7k of wages, minus 0.6% of your SUTA taxes, unless the state itself is borrowing too much, in which case you only get to subtract 0.3% of your state unemployment taxes from your FUTA tax obligation. SUTA rates cannot be lower than 6% of the first $7k per employee, but they can apply to each employee's wages up to, I believe, $41k is the highest I've seen.) In any event, the increased cost to your average McD of a MW increase from $7.25/h to $15/h would be roughly $640k to $670k per year. There are roughly 34.5k McD's in the USA so you're talking about an increase of $22b a year.

Of course, that doesn't have anything to do with McD's corporate net profits /nor/ would it come out of the CEO's pay, because McD's are franchises; corp makes, I believe, 12% or 15% of each stores gross profits - but of course you that right? You just want to toss around big meaningless numbers like they matter because it makes you looks like you might know what your talking about yea?

In reality that MW increase comes straight out of each individual store owner and make nowhere near $5b in net profits a year - in fact even the best of these folks would be lucky to show $1m a year profits - and a MW increase will take from $640-670k a year, that's over half of their profits for their store; which basically means even a minor downturn in the local economy will put them under and there will be no job at all.

As far as CEO's wages go, it's not at all hard to understand why they make so much if one has any iota of comprehension of the actual job itself - something people who bitch about CEO pay don't get, they basically claim they're just "glorified managers" and think that anyone could do their job, but the truth is most of these whiners can barely even handle getting their asses out of bed and into work on time on any consistent basis.

CEO's who can handle a multi-billion dollar corporations, or multi-nationals, don't grow on trees. It requires a very specific blend of skills and personality, some of which cannot be learned and one must be "born with it," thus it is a highly competitive field. Globally there might be say 2 million people in total who can competently handle the job at all, and if one wants someone with a proven track record and good background in the field then you're down to say 50k total on the entire planet. The competition for this small selection of people is extremely high, unlike a MW worker who can literally be replaced by damn near anyone off the street, or often, if humans weren't so "racist" against animals, trained monkeys...

It always makes me laugh when the disgruntled underlings bitch about my extra few bucks an hour in management positions, so I'll offer to give em a chance and chuck a little extra responsibility in their laps; then I get to watch them buckle under the "added strain" of having to do something so simple and easy as say handling a single stores inventory; a very minor task that is barely even rung two on the ladder. Then they either quit in shame or admit that they actually can't handle it, don't deserve more, and quit bitching.

Unlike MW whiners, I realize that, despite my high opinion of myself, and even my management "prowess," even the worst CEO could probably make me buckle without even trying... That's a lot of why I can get jobs though, see I'm not entitled; I know what I'm actually worth to a business and I understand the average pay rates of my "peers" who compete against me for the same jobs, thus I am able to properly gauge, and undercut slightly, what to "ask for" and get almost any open job I want.

MW workers are always going to be practically worthless to the overall operation of any given store - not so much that they don't work, I know they do, but because they are so easily replaced by anyone else. In the grand scheme, an employee's "worth" to their employer is what dictates their wage, this is based on how badly said employer wants to /retain/ said employee. When MW employee A can be replaced by practically anyone looking for a job, they are not going to move up or get a raise. If someone wants a raise, then they need to make themselves indispensable to their employer, they need to actually /prove/ to their employer that they are worth retaining. This requires /extra/ effort above and beyond doing the minimum of their job requirements, it means caring about the profit margin of the business itself, it means supporting management decisions - including understanding /why/ managers sometimes get raises over the other employees (retention again), it means actually dedicating yourself to the job, rather than just doing it to pay your personal bills.

That is just /one/ of the most basic, simplest, and easiest differences in "think" process that separates a perpetual MW'er from an employee who is able to rise above MW. ANYONE can easily rise above MW, they just have to learn humility and be dedicated to their job. It's not hard at all, and yet, these dipshits can't even manage that simple a task, oh but they'll run around yapping their faces off about how much more their boss makes than them, and how /they/ are "worth more," "a better employee," "smarter than," etc. It's hilarious when you look at it from a broader perspective, because if these folks put in half as much of the effort they put into bitching about their pay rate, into showing their boss their "worth" to the business, they wouldn't be making MW anymore.

This is what he said:

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

He explained:

Software?

Claims that technology will replace the workforce has been going on for 100 years......the workforce keeps adapting

Well of course. What dummy would set up a business to lose money?

MW increases are counter productive.

-Geaux
----------------

When it comes to jobs growth in the US, all one can say is thank god for waiters and bartenders: after all, a Starbucks barista is precisely what a recently fired oil chemical engineer making half a million dollars really wants to do with their life.

However, the days of easy job gains for the BLS may be coming to an end (even if on a seasonally adjusted, goalseeked basis the trend has a long way to go).

According to Brand Eating, fast food king McDonald's has been spotted testing a self-serve McCafe coffee station/kiosk out in downtown Chicago. The station is located in the restaurant but apart from the counter and looks to be a theoretically more convenient way for those who just want a cup of coffee to skip the regular line (while also freeing employees from having to make each drink in the back).

In essence, this is the company's latest venture to make employees responsible for one less task as corporate HQ slowly but surely responds to minimum wage hikes sweeping all states, and in the process, outsource its minimum wage workers to simple machines which will never unionize or have any demands aside from being cleaned occasionally.

As shown below, the coffee station includes a touchpad for ordering and paying (it appears to take credit card only), a beverage spout, and a dispenser for cups.

McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Hikes, Launches McCafe Coffee Kiosk | Zero Hedge

So McDonalds made a Keurig machine?

You may be overthinking this a bit.

Last edited:

This is what he said:

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

He explained:

Software?

Claims that technology will replace the workforce has been going on for 100 years......the workforce keeps adapting
I

Many restaurants already use kiosks! Grocery stores have self serve and check out. So do gas stations. You think it won't happen? Ha!

This is what he said:

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

He explained:

Software?

I

Many restaurants already use kiosks! Grocery stores have self serve and check out. So do gas stations. You think it won't happen? Ha!

I've been using them for ten years under the 7.25 minimum wage

Their installation had nothing to do with workers demanding higher wages....Ha!

This is what he said:

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

He explained:

Software?

I

Demand yeah right. Employees of mine don't get very far with demands

They are shown the exit

-Geaux

Software?

I

Demand yeah right. Employees of mine don't get very far with demands

They are shown the exit

-Geaux
Tell them all they have my sympathy...must be degrading

This is what he said:

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

He explained:

Software?

I

You know, I'm wondering why nobody said squat when Wal Mart installed those self check out lanes, but when McDonald's puts in some automated kiosks, then people start saying that it's the end of the world?

This is what he said:

He explained:

"
This is what he said:

He explained:

Software?

I

Minimum wage was not $7.25 ten years ago...so you are proving a point, More places automated after 2007 and 2009 when the National minimum wage was raised

Ha!

Software?

I

You know, I'm wondering why nobody said squat when Wal Mart installed those self check out lanes, but when McDonald's puts in some automated kiosks, then people start saying that it's the end of the world?

What do you mean no one said abything? You just stumble across the internet on your Obama phone?

Or just read the comics and sports in the newspaper?

Software?

I

Kiosks and self serve means less humans. You good with that?

Software?

I

Minimum wage was not $7.25 ten years ago...so you are proving a point, More places automated after 2007 and 2009 when the National minimum wage was raised

Ha!

Actually, they didn't

They have been slowly adopting the technology as people get used to it
Think of all the people who lost jobs when they adopted bar codes.....had nothing to do with those damned minimum wage workers getting uppity

Software?

I

Kiosks and self serve means less humans. You good with that?

You talking to me? The way I am the less people I have to deal with in a day the better, I don't care what the weather is, I don't want to see pictures of your kids/grandkids/I don't care who is sleeping with whom , just give me what I want and shut the hell up :)

Software?

I

Ha!

Actually, they didn't

They have been slowly adopting the technology as people get used to it
Think of all the people who lost jobs when they adopted bar codes.....had nothing to do with those damned minimum wage workers getting uppity

Bar code scanner 1974:

$2,500

Bar code scanner 2014:

$20

Trivia question: What was the first product scanned?

40 years ago today: Wrigley gum the first product to have its bar code scanned

( I don't know how much they really did cost in 1974 I just made that shit up couldn't find the price real fast :) )

While I have no doubt that artificial wage inflation is the primary cause of job elimination/robotics, I have found that am avoiding stores that push the automated crap too far. Instead I find myself ordering from Amazon and Alibaba much more frequently. Give the premium prices charged "in store" due to the high cost of shipping stuff here the free shipping available through clever ordering online results in some small but appreciated savings. Not to mention the better variety.....

^ I can second that. I love Amazon, way better selection and pricing than my local stores. Of course, there are some things one cannot Amazon; fast food, for example :p

----

It really doesn't matter if automation existed before MW hikes or not, the bottom line is exactly that for businesses - "The Bottom Line." When it becomes cheaper to have an automated system designed and installed, than to hire employees, businesses /will/ do it. The point is that raising MW pushes the cost of employees up by substantial amounts. Machines long term annual costs are going to be a shit ton less than even the /increased/ cost of MW increase, much less the present MW costs. In many cases it is actually a colossally bad business decision /not/ to get automated when crunching the numbers. The only thing that will slow this process is how much capital businesses have on hand to implement the automation procedure. McD's already /has/ the automation already designed so it's just a matter of how much it would cost an individual franchises and how long it takes the individual franchise owner to buy the equipment necessary - given that they are looking at an increase of roughly $640k/y (and possibly more because cries for $20/h MW are rising) I don't think they'll dally too much. Raising MW speeds up the process immensely.

Forum List

Back