Arming teachers bad cus in Parkand a singlular example exists of a cowardly RO not doing job, WTF?

In an interview with Variety Parkland gun control activist Emma Gonzalez suggested arming teachers is a bad idea because her school had “a resource officer and he didn’t do jack sh*t.”
The resource officer referenced by Gonzalez is former Broward County deputy Scot Peterson, who arrived outside the scene of the Parkland attack roughly 90 seconds after it began and stayed outside until it was over, instead of going in to confront the gunman.

Lost on Gonzalez is the fact that armed teachers are there as a last resort. They are there to shoot the attacker if the deputy will not go in or in the event that the deputy cannot go in.

Are the anti 2Aers so simple minded as to think that the almighty 'Nanny State' is the best defense against unleashed homicidal terror. Is the notion of 'Personal Responsibility' so repugnant that it extends to the very lives of their children. What the F, If the principle tells a parent that he has an AR locked up in his office I would expect parents to be thrilled, wouldn't U!

Emma Gonzalez: Don't Arm Teachers, 'We Had a Resource Officer and He Didn't Do Jack Sh*t' | Breitbart

Many school shootings have had armed defenders who either got shot or did nothing.

Meanwhile countries with strong gun control continue to not have school shootings...

Wrong....Britain almost had 2 in the last few years, more than they have had in the past, and their gun control laws didn't stop them...dumb luck did....
Almost means they didn’t moron. I wish we almost had! We have them regularly.

Has it really got to the point, teachers should arm themselves? All because a few bad apples (meaning the Resource officers) aren't doing their jobs?

Yes, I lived in a much different time and place. Where we didn't have school shootings and no teachers in the entire state weren't armed.

I do agree that having signs on school property warning "Protected by Community Police" is totally a bad idea. It just opens up for just about any crazy person to come into the schools and start shooting anyone on site. Ignoring the stupid sign that it is protected by Community police in the process. Like they would even care about it anyways. I am sure they would even try and take shots at them (Community police).

I think most schools either lock their front doors during school hours; or have metal detectors installed.

What does a metal detector do for a mass shooter? No one ever explains that....

Not a dam thing! Metal detectors are nice decors for the NRA

Arming teachers is bad because it's a bad idea, not because of one particular incident.

Which you then go on to illustrate with a single incident.

We allow armed security at almost every mass gathering of people ... except where our children are the most vulnerable.

Armed security doesn't have to be teachers. It certainly won't be teachers who choose not to be armed.

But, everyone one of us benefits from armed security at our public functions ... why not children?

Actually, I used TWO examples. The second being the police instructor on gun safety. If you want more examples, I can google more for you.

Obviously armed security doesn't have to be teachers. Maybe you didn't read the OP? Go ahead and bring in armed security if it makes you feel better. Many schools already have an armed resource officer. Hire more of those if you really want. I'd much rather have an armed resource officer watching out for student safety than a teacher, for obvious reasons.

You would never be able to have sufficient numbers of resource officers compared to how many teachers you could arm. I taught at a high school in Florida similar to Parkland. We had over 3200 students, 200 staff members and 2 resource officers. We were the only school in the district with 2.

A fellow faculty member was a Army Reserves Special Forces major. My counterpart assistant principal was a former Army Ranger. Our Air Force Junior ROTC was a twenty-year veteran security police officer. There were actually many more, but I think you get the picture. Are county sheriffs deputies better than they would be in an active shooter situation?

Parkland had one armed resource officer for 3,100 students....with 12 buildings on campus.....

In an interview with Variety Parkland gun control activist Emma Gonzalez suggested arming teachers is a bad idea because her school had “a resource officer and he didn’t do jack sh*t.”
The resource officer referenced by Gonzalez is former Broward County deputy Scot Peterson, who arrived outside the scene of the Parkland attack roughly 90 seconds after it began and stayed outside until it was over, instead of going in to confront the gunman.

Lost on Gonzalez is the fact that armed teachers are there as a last resort. They are there to shoot the attacker if the deputy will not go in or in the event that the deputy cannot go in.

Are the anti 2Aers so simple minded as to think that the almighty 'Nanny State' is the best defense against unleashed homicidal terror. Is the notion of 'Personal Responsibility' so repugnant that it extends to the very lives of their children. What the F, If the principle tells a parent that he has an AR locked up in his office I would expect parents to be thrilled, wouldn't U!

Emma Gonzalez: Don't Arm Teachers, 'We Had a Resource Officer and He Didn't Do Jack Sh*t' | Breitbart

Many school shootings have had armed defenders who either got shot or did nothing.

Meanwhile countries with strong gun control continue to not have school shootings...

Wrong....Britain almost had 2 in the last few years, more than they have had in the past, and their gun control laws didn't stop them...dumb luck did....

Their gun control laws didn't stop them, one called the police on himself before he killed anyone, the others were caught before they executed their plan.....and with the increasing gun crime in Britain, again, what keeps their criminals from walking into schools with their illegal guns? Gun crime in London was up 42%.....nothing stopped them from walking into a school now did it....?

Arming teachers is bad because it's a bad idea, not because of one particular incident.

We allow armed security at almost every mass gathering of people ... except where our children are the most vulnerable.

Armed security doesn't have to be teachers. It certainly won't be teachers who choose not to be armed.

But, everyone one of us benefits from armed security at our public functions ... why not children?

Actually, I used TWO examples. The second being the police instructor on gun safety. If you want more examples, I can google more for you.

Obviously armed security doesn't have to be teachers. Maybe you didn't read the OP? Go ahead and bring in armed security if it makes you feel better. Many schools already have an armed resource officer. Hire more of those if you really want. I'd much rather have an armed resource officer watching out for student safety than a teacher, for obvious reasons.

You would never be able to have sufficient numbers of resource officers compared to how many teachers you could arm. I taught at a high school in Florida similar to Parkland. We had over 3200 students, 200 staff members and 2 resource officers. We were the only school in the district with 2.

A fellow faculty member was a Army Reserves Special Forces major. My counterpart assistant principal was a former Army Ranger. Our Air Force Junior ROTC was a twenty-year veteran security police officer. There were actually many more, but I think you get the picture. Are county sheriffs deputies better than they would be in an active shooter situation?

Parkland had one armed resource officer for 3,100 students....with 12 buildings on campus.....
And he could have helped but didn’t.

Meanwhile countries with strong gun control don’t have school shootings...

Their gun control laws didn't stop them, one called the police on himself before he killed anyone, the others were caught before they executed their plan.....and with the increasing gun crime in Britain, again, what keeps their criminals from walking into schools with their illegal guns? Gun crime in London was up 42%.....nothing stopped them from walking into a school now did it....?

And teachers who gave their lives for students could have used a legal gun to stop the shooters.......instead of being helpless in a gun free zone...

You mean like Britain.....where they have increasing gun crime...what stops them from having school shootings if there are more guns in Britain? And what stopped the camp shooter in Norway? When they had to wait for armed police to arrive?

And teachers who gave their lives for students could have used a legal gun to stop the shooters.......instead of being helpless in a gun free zone...
Or you could stop arming kids in the first place.

I think arming teachers is not the way to go in general.

In some cases though, why not? If there is proper safeguards/training in place—and if they want to do it of course.

A better decision is to have armed security on campus. Liberals who oppose this have never answered the fundamental question….If you’re going to call the cops anyway to stop a shooter, doesn’t it make more sense to have armed deterrence there in the first place? The one defense I have heard is the examples of churches, barber shops, Olive Garden, etc… Meaning that you don’t want places looking like armed encampments. True but when your population is mostly children, the likelihood (and this is part of the calculation shooters make) of encountering armed resistance is much less in schools than it is in the case of confronting a room full of adults.

You mean like Britain.....where they have increasing gun crime...what stops them from having school shootings if there are more guns in Britain? And what stopped the camp shooter in Norway? When they had to wait for armed police to arrive?
Britain where their homicide rate is about 1/4 of ours?

There are some fundamental flaws in your logic.
- we do have millions of firearms in our nation and a Constitution that will render any meaningful reduction unconstitutional (Thank God) so lets start with that reality
- What is the better scenario, hypothetically, having an armed defender who fails or not having the armed defender in the first place?

What 'should' happen and what will happen re. school safety protocol will NEVER be fully realized. My local HS has a few hundred students with exactly x 21 doors or access points including shop doors where students learn to work on tractors, implements etc. These schools struggle to minimize the times where even a majority of these access points are sealed off at any given time. The majority of these schools in 'middle America' should, but won't, be seeing metal detectors, bullet proof glass and live stream security cameras any time soon, that's the reality.

Has anyone forgotten Columbine? The two whackos who went on a shooting spree in a Colorado high school on April 20, 1999.

Yes, I know a different time and place. But still...were there any Resource officers then? Were there any metal detectors present?

Britain had almost zero school shootings before they banned guns........and their laws haven't stopped any since....

Good luck does not mean your gun control laws stopped school shootings....as these examples show....

Teenage boys planned to 'kill everyone' at Yorkshire school in Columbine-style gun and bomb massacre, court hears

Two teenage boys planned to “kill everyone” at their Yorkshireschool in a Columbine-style massacre using bombs and guns, a court has heard.

---------------------------

The document said the boy would “lay low” in Catterick before murdering his ex-girlfriend’s parents and stealing her father’s guns, the court heard.

“I’ll make some explosives then well find a way back to Northallerton and well begin our assault on that f****** school,” it continued

----

"This was no teenage fantasy; it was real,” he added. “They intended a re-enactment of the Columbine High School Massacre although fortunately, in the result, they were stopped before their plans were put into action.”

.4/6/18

Doctor found with stash of guns and NHS hitlist jailed

A former doctor has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for stockpiling guns with the intent to endanger life.

Martin Watt was found with three submachine guns, two pistols and 1,500 live cartridges at a property in Cumbernauld, Scotland, last year.

The 62-year-old had lost his job at Monklands hospital in North Lanarkshire in 2012 after disciplinary hearings. His marriage broke down around the same time, the high court in Glasgow was told.

Watt had compiled a list of names and addresses of some colleagues involved in the disciplinary process, which the judge, Valerie Stacey, said Watt had referred to as an assassination list.
=======

Here is the updat, the original is below..

Yep.....this 19 year old got bombs and a glock 19 and 94 rounds of 9mm ammo on the dark web in Britain in order to murder people at the University he used to attend..........

I guess their gun control laws stopped him...right? Or was it pure, dumb luck.....?

-------------

British teen sentenced to life for planned school attack

Despite some of the tightest gun control on the planet, a British man was able to acquire a handgun, extended mags and explosives as part of a plot to attack his former school.

Liam Lyburd, 19, of Newcastle upon Tyne, was sentenced to life imprisonment this week on eight charges of possessing weapons with intent to endanger life.

As noted by the BBC, Lyburd gathered a cache that included a Glock 19, three 33-round magazines, 94 hollow-point bullets, CS gas, five pipe bombs and two other improvised explosive devices despite the country’s long history of civilian arms control.

According to court documents, Lyburd planned to use the weapons in an attack on Newcastle College, from which he had been expelled two years prior for poor attendance. He was arrested last November after two Northumbria Police constables visited him at his home on a tip from an individual who encountered threats and disturbing pictures posted by Lyburd online.

Despite a defense that portrayed the reclusive man as living in a fantasy world, Lyburd was found guilty in July.

The internet-savvy teen obtained the Glock and other items through Evolution Marketplace, a successor to the Silk Road, a long-time “dark web” site in which users could buy and sell everything from illegal narcotics to munitions using Bitcoin cryptocurrency.

In court, Lyburd testified that buying the Glock was so easy it was “like buying a bar of chocolate.”

He obtained funds for his purchases through a complex extortion scheme in which he used online malware to infect computers, which he in turn held for ransom from their owners.

====Teenage boy 'took shotgun to school after being bullied for being fat'

15-year-old boy arrested for taking shotgun and ammunition into school did it because he was being bullied for being too fat, fellow pupils said.

=======

'Gunman' walks into Liverpool nursery school as children were playing inside

Police have sealed off a children's nursery in Liverpool amid reports a gunman walked into the building while youngsters were inside.

Officers were called to Childs Play Nursery in Wavertree, Merseyside, at around 8am this morning.

The man, who is believed to have been carrying what looked like a firearm, walked into the nursery and approached another man.

He then left with a second man on the back of a motorbike.

What kept this from becoming a mass shooting?

Children among 10 people in hospital after mass shooting in Manchester

- we do have millions of firearms in our nation and a Constitution that will render any meaningful reduction unconstitutional (Thank God) so lets start with that reality
- What is the better scenario, hypothetically, having an armed defender who fails or not having the armed defender in the first place?

What 'should' happen and what will happen re. school safety protocol will NEVER be fully realized. My local HS has a few hundred students with exactly x 21 doors or access points including shop doors where students learn to work on tractors, implements etc. These schools struggle to minimize the times where even a majority of these access points are sealed off at any given time. The majority of these schools in 'middle America' should, but won't, be seeing metal detectors, bullet proof glass and live stream security cameras any time soon, that's the reality.
We might have to choose between protecting our children or easy access to guns. Choice easy for me.

Britain had almost zero school shootings before they banned guns........and their laws haven't stopped any since....

Good luck does not mean your gun control laws stopped school shootings....as these examples show....

Teenage boys planned to 'kill everyone' at Yorkshire school in Columbine-style gun and bomb massacre, court hears

Two teenage boys planned to “kill everyone” at their Yorkshireschool in a Columbine-style massacre using bombs and guns, a court has heard.

The document said the boy would “lay low” in Catterick before murdering his ex-girlfriend’s parents and stealing her father’s guns, the court heard.

“I’ll make some explosives then well find a way back to Northallerton and well begin our assault on that f****** school,” it continued

----

"This was no teenage fantasy; it was real,” he added. “They intended a re-enactment of the Columbine High School Massacre although fortunately, in the result, they were stopped before their plans were put into action.”

.4/6/18

A former doctor has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for stockpiling guns with the intent to endanger life.

Martin Watt was found with three submachine guns, two pistols and 1,500 live cartridges at a property in Cumbernauld, Scotland, last year.

The 62-year-old had lost his job at Monklands hospital in North Lanarkshire in 2012 after disciplinary hearings. His marriage broke down around the same time, the high court in Glasgow was told.

Watt had compiled a list of names and addresses of some colleagues involved in the disciplinary process, which the judge, Valerie Stacey, said Watt had referred to as an assassination list.
=======

Yep.....this 19 year old got bombs and a glock 19 and 94 rounds of 9mm ammo on the dark web in Britain in order to murder people at the University he used to attend..........

I guess their gun control laws stopped him...right? Or was it pure, dumb luck.....?

-------------

Despite some of the tightest gun control on the planet, a British man was able to acquire a handgun, extended mags and explosives as part of a plot to attack his former school.

Liam Lyburd, 19, of Newcastle upon Tyne, was sentenced to life imprisonment this week on eight charges of possessing weapons with intent to endanger life.

As noted by the BBC, Lyburd gathered a cache that included a Glock 19, three 33-round magazines, 94 hollow-point bullets, CS gas, five pipe bombs and two other improvised explosive devices despite the country’s long history of civilian arms control.

According to court documents, Lyburd planned to use the weapons in an attack on Newcastle College, from which he had been expelled two years prior for poor attendance. He was arrested last November after two Northumbria Police constables visited him at his home on a tip from an individual who encountered threats and disturbing pictures posted by Lyburd online.

Despite a defense that portrayed the reclusive man as living in a fantasy world, Lyburd was found guilty in July.

The internet-savvy teen obtained the Glock and other items through Evolution Marketplace, a successor to the Silk Road, a long-time “dark web” site in which users could buy and sell everything from illegal narcotics to munitions using Bitcoin cryptocurrency.

In court, Lyburd testified that buying the Glock was so easy it was “like buying a bar of chocolate.”

He obtained funds for his purchases through a complex extortion scheme in which he used online malware to infect computers, which he in turn held for ransom from their owners.

15-year-old boy arrested for taking shotgun and ammunition into school did it because he was being bullied for being too fat, fellow pupils said.

=======

Police have sealed off a children's nursery in Liverpool amid reports a gunman walked into the building while youngsters were inside.

Officers were called to Childs Play Nursery in Wavertree, Merseyside, at around 8am this morning.

The man, who is believed to have been carrying what looked like a firearm, walked into the nursery and approached another man.

We have 4x more homicides than britain.

----

.4/6/18

=======

-------------

=======

We have 4x more homicides that britain.

So? We have lower levels of gun murder after more Americans own and carry guns....they have more gun crime after they banned and confiscated guns.... you have to hide behind their gun murder rate because you know it was always low...even when they had access to guns...meaning their gun control laws had nothing to do with their gun murder rate.....

We might have to choose between protecting our children or easy access to guns. Choice easy for me.

Moron....schools are safer now than they were in the 90s...... school shootings are rare ... like unicorns.

----

.4/6/18

=======

-------------

=======

We have 4x more homicides that britain.

So? We have lower levels of gun murder after more Americans own and carry guns....they have more gun crime after they banned and confiscated guns.... you have to hide behind their gun murder rate because you know it was always low...even when they had access to guns...meaning their gun control laws had nothing to do with their gun murder rate.....
Homicide went down drastically after we got background checks.

Our homicide rate is 4-5x that of countries with strong gun control.

Moron....schools are safer now than they were in the 90s...... school shootings are rare ... like unicorns.
School shootings happen regularly. How many unicorns have your seen nut?

Forum List

Back