Arkansas GOP State Rep Thinks Slavery Was Blessing in Disguise for Blacks

African blacks sold their own people into slavery.

In fact, they hold all the records for selling people into slavery.

Do they? Could you provide us with a cite to those "records"? What you fail to mention regarding African vs. American slavery is the racial component that was added to the system in the Americas. In the past one became a slave as the result of war, debt or criminality. In America, even when manumitted, the ex-slave was not the equal of other citizens, a situation that we're seeing the effects of to this day.

That's pure horse shit. North African Arabs were enslaving whites for a thousand years. Why do you think Thomas Jefferson sent ships and U.S. marines to fight on the shores of Tripoli? To this day, Arabs are enslaving blacks.

The treatment of white galley slaves was even worse than the treatment of black slaves picking cotton. But there are no movies or television dramas about it comparable to Roots, and our schools and colleges don't pound it into the heads of students.

Everything liberals believe is a big fat lie.

Those enslavements weren't because they were white. N.A. Arabs were also white. They were because they were victims state-sponsored piracy and non-Muslims. I guess I should add religion as a reason for slavery, but there was no racial component and any freed slave who became a Muslim would have the same rights as any other citizen of his station. That was not true for freed blacks in the U.S.

The fallacy of your "Jungle Bunny" argument is you neglect the obvious alternative of what would be the economic position of blacks today if Africans were given the option to immigrate to the US on their own initiative, be paid a fair wage and receive free land

You know....like whites were

That's the problem with your argument. They did not have the intiative to build the ships to bring them here, nor for that matter the roads, universities, cities, planes, airports, or any other trappings of civilization that would have enabled them to emigrate any further than they could walk while living off the land. Slavery was the best thing to ever happen for the American negro of today. Too bad it was due to a negro, (one of the original slaves brought to this nation, freed by law after his set time of servitude, also by law and GIVEN land), in the first place that their ancestors had to live as slaves all their lives. Slavery as we know it in America today, meaning born live and die as a slave, is due for the most part to a court case argued by and won by a freed african slave fighting to be able to own his own african slave for life. Hmm, bet you never learned that in school during black history month huh?

See Johnson vs Parker Northampton Co Va. 1654

America needed cheap labor. The same boats that were available to support the slave trade would have been available to bring over cheap African labor.

The rest of your post is just damned offensive. But thanks for posting so we all know that your type of American has not gone away. They just post anonymously on message boards

The same boats white Europeans built right? As for my post being offensive, sometimes people find the truth offensive, I can't help that. As for my type of American not going away, you should be glad that my type of American, honest, truthful, not afraid to state the facts, hard working, business owning, tax paying, land owning patriots are have not gone away. If we had half the black race in America would starve to death because they wouldn't be getting all the subsidies that our taxes give them. I'd tell you the same thing to your face as I would on a board and have given you all the info you need to hear me tell it to you in person.

It is not just an issue of if they were slaves or if they had been left in Africa. If Africans were treated as humans by the Colonial Europeans, they would have been in much better shape today. Africa had immense wealth. More than North America at the time. Exotic animal pelts and ivory had much more value at the time than the beaver pelts coming out of the US. Later on, immense reserves of gold and diamonds were found. All were exploited by the Europeans and Africans never received fair value

If Africans were treated as humans, they would have been able to accumulate immense wealth and they also would have been able to afford to immigrate to the Americas and be paid a fair wage if they chose to

If they acted more like civilized humans, then and now, they may have been treated as such but we'll never know now will we. As for your nonsense about immense reserves of wealth, eg diamonds, gold, pelts, etc, what use are they to a people that don't have the means to market them, or for that matter even the roads to take them to the shore to shp them overseas where the market was? To the african diamonds and gold were nothing but shiny stones and rocks that they lacked the intelligence and equipment to get out of the ground and the infrastructue to make use of the small amounts they could find laying around because without the equipment they never invented that small amount is all they would have had.

It is not just an issue of if they were slaves or if they had been left in Africa. If Africans were treated as humans by the Colonial Europeans, they would have been in much better shape today. Africa had immense wealth. More than North America at the time. Exotic animal pelts and ivory had much more value at the time than the beaver pelts coming out of the US. Later on, immense reserves of gold and diamonds were found. All were exploited by the Europeans and Africans never received fair value

If Africans were treated as humans, they would have been able to accumulate immense wealth and they also would have been able to afford to immigrate to the Americas and be paid a fair wage if they chose to

If they acted more like civilized humans, then and now, they may have been treated as such but we'll never know now will we.

Why don't you give that a try yourself before shooting your big, fat mouth off, douchebag?

I'd tell you the same thing to your face as I would on a board and have given you all the info you need to hear me tell it to you in person.

Again, so tough but unwilling to do the travelling. Afraid that deep-down inside you really like what the TSA did to you last time?

If they acted more like civilized humans, then and now, they may have been treated as such but we'll never know now will we.

Why don't you give that a try yourself before shooting your big, fat mouth off, douchebag?

Lol, punk.

Thanks for conceding the point. Now, go get your own shit together before worrying about anyone else, douchebag.

Hint to op; no blacks alive today were ever slaves making your thread nothing but a waste of space.

And the writer of that book, is an ass.

I cannot help but wonder what Europe would look like today if millions upon millions of its people had been kidnapped for centuries and hauled away to another continent for menial work...with their culture, their religion, their languages, their names ripped away.

That's the problem with your argument. They did not have the intiative to build the ships to bring them here, nor for that matter the roads, universities, cities, planes, airports, or any other trappings of civilization that would have enabled them to emigrate any further than they could walk while living off the land. Slavery was the best thing to ever happen for the American negro of today. Too bad it was due to a negro, (one of the original slaves brought to this nation, freed by law after his set time of servitude, also by law and GIVEN land), in the first place that their ancestors had to live as slaves all their lives. Slavery as we know it in America today, meaning born live and die as a slave, is due for the most part to a court case argued by and won by a freed african slave fighting to be able to own his own african slave for life. Hmm, bet you never learned that in school during black history month huh?

See Johnson vs Parker Northampton Co Va. 1654

America needed cheap labor. The same boats that were available to support the slave trade would have been available to bring over cheap African labor.

The rest of your post is just damned offensive. But thanks for posting so we all know that your type of American has not gone away. They just post anonymously on message boards

The same boats white Europeans built right? As for my post being offensive, sometimes people find the truth offensive, I can't help that. As for my type of American not going away, you should be glad that my type of American, honest, truthful, not afraid to state the facts, hard working, business owning, tax paying, land owning patriots are have not gone away. If we had half the black race in America would starve to death because they wouldn't be getting all the subsidies that our taxes give them. I'd tell you the same thing to your face as I would on a board and have given you all the info you need to hear me tell it to you in person.

What possible difference could it make who built the ships? Ships were available to bring black workers to America

I enjoy your posts. Whenever anyone claims that we no longer need affirmative action and that civil rights laws are no longer valid, all I need to do is point out your posts to remind people that your kind still do exist

And the person who wrote this
As I said before. You could call slavery a blessing in Disguise, because the long term end result for Ancestors of Black American Slaves,
would still be wrong.

I cannot help but wonder what Europe would look like today if millions upon millions of its people had been kidnapped for centuries and hauled away to another continent for menial work...with their culture, their religion, their languages, their names ripped away.

That's exactly what happened to millions of Europeans, nitwit. North African slave traders captured white Europeans and sold them off into slavery. The men were worked to death and the women were used as sex slaves.

It's a marvel to see just how truly ignorant liberals are.

What possible difference could it make who built the ships? Ships were available to bring black workers to America

Nope. They were available for the slave trade because there was profit in that. There was no profit to be made bringing black immigrants to America. Black Africans had no money.

I enjoy your posts. Whenever anyone claims that we no longer need affirmative action and that civil rights laws are no longer valid, all I need to do is point out your posts to remind people that your kind still do exist

How do his posts prove that Affirmative Action is necessary? Whoever claimed civil rights laws should be abolished?

Whenever I see your posts I marvel at what a dunce you are.

That's exactly what happened to millions of Europeans, nitwit. North African slave traders captured white Europeans and sold them off into slavery. The men were worked to death and the women were used as sex slaves.

It's a marvel to see just how truly ignorant liberals are.

I see...you are presenting us with an example of what all Europe would look and behave like with their Best and Brightest taken away for centuries. I'm so sorry for you. Being the descendent of the bottom of the barrel as you are.

The fallacy of your "Jungle Bunny" argument is you neglect the obvious alternative of what would be the economic position of blacks today if Africans were given the option to immigrate to the US on their own initiative, be paid a fair wage and receive free land

ummmm

can we have a link to the free land comment?

Land Run of 1889 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what about the other 49 states and was that land for whites only?

BTW, I diid not ever hear that anyone in my extended family ever got free land so your premise is a fucking lie

Last edited:
Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has written a new book in which he says slavery was "a blessing" for African-Americans, among other questionable statements.

The questionable statements in Hubbard's book, "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative," were first reported by Arkansas Times and TalkBusiness.net.

Regarding slavery, Hubbard wrote:

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)

Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing' In New Book

What black American would rather not be a citizen of - let's say - Zimbabwe or Burkina Faso than the United States??

Why would anyone give them that option? Furthermore, even if they had that option, no black could have emigrated in the 17th or 18th Centuries. How would they pay for their passage?

I'm comparing two things that actually happened. Some blacks were enslaved and brought to America. Some stayed in Africa. The descendents of the former are far better off than the descendents of the later.

End of story.

Comparing the situation of blacks with some mythical history is a fools errand. Why not imagine that some fairy waved her magic wand and turned Africa into a paradise? That would make as much sense as your imbecile scenario.

Since we are playing a what if scenario

Yes blacks could have immigrated in the 17th and 18th century. Same as poor whites. The Americas needed cheap labor. They could have gone to Africa and offered passage in return for some form of indenture. The key being choice instead of being captured and forced into servitude.

If blacks had been offered the same opportunities as similar whites, their economic position would be much better today. Same goes for post civil war Jim Crow

proof?

Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has written a new book in which he says slavery was "a blessing" for African-Americans, among other questionable statements.

The questionable statements in Hubbard's book, "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative," were first reported by Arkansas Times and TalkBusiness.net.

Regarding slavery, Hubbard wrote:

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)

Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing' In New Book

What black American would rather not be a citizen of - let's say - Zimbabwe or Burkina Faso than the United States??

You mean, a citizen of a country they've never been to and never spoke the language?

How about what white American would rather not be a citizen of Russia or Italy or Germany or Ireland....?

Forum List

Back