Are Virtual friends....FRIENDS ?

Yes. And, i have made a great new friend and then we connected on Facebook and now talk regularly.

I'm not sure if I would ever want to meet most of the virtual individuals in real life that I interact with online. It is just one of those things kinda like a friend of mine refers to 'keeping a friend's business, accordingly'. Not everything can be meshed... not everything fits.

I am not apposed to adding friends on facebook and coming to know people on a more personal level than most message boards seem to allow, either... It is just not something that is necessary, however.

The whole thing about being strangers from within the boards kinda adds to the mystery, perhaps, that keeps members posting... however dis/honestly they do so. The anonymity seems to work for most. The few friends that do come to be close perhaps set a good example and encourage us... :dunno:

The anonaminity of the internet is great therapy for some. They can unload their hostilities, or unburden their souls, with very little worry. Now if they were running for public office that would be a different story. Then their are those who love it because it allows them to be the pricks they want to be but can't in real life. Then their are the true whacko's who you just stay away from regardless. I still don't think becoming friends with someone on-line is a good idea.

I think not, as online people tend to say things they normally wouldn't utter in public, let alone to someones face. Imagine all the people on this forum who end their posts with things like ...moron, idiot, dumbass etc. doing that to someones face? Bitch slapped to say the least.

Those who do that are not looking for friends, they are looking to bolster their self image. I would even go so far to say that there are probably alot of people on this forum just because they can't get along with people in real life.

I don't know about you, spectrumc10, but few and far between are the online personalities calling me names like 'moron', 'idiot' and 'dumbass' who I consider to be 'friends'.

There's jerks in real life / there's jerks on-line. That's life. Doesn't make your virtual friends any less real.

I think not, as online people tend to say things they normally wouldn't utter in public, let alone to someones face. Imagine all the people on this forum who end their posts with things like ...moron, idiot, dumbass etc. doing that to someones face? Bitch slapped to say the least.

Those who do that are not looking for friends, they are looking to bolster their self image. I would even go so far to say that there are probably alot of people on this forum just because they can't get along with people in real life.

I don't know about you, spectrumc10, but few and far between are the online personalities calling me names like 'moron', 'idiot' and 'dumbass' who I consider to be 'friends'.

There's jerks in real life / there's jerks on-line. That's life. Doesn't make your virtual friends any less real.

The point was that personalities who do such things as name calling re-enforce the opinion of don't get personal on-line. Here is a perfect example :Catfish | Documentary Review

Yes. And, i have made a great new friend and then we connected on Facebook and now talk regularly.

I'm not sure if I would ever want to meet most of the virtual individuals in real life that I interact with online. It is just one of those things kinda like a friend of mine refers to 'keeping a friend's business, accordingly'. Not everything can be meshed... not everything fits.

I am not apposed to adding friends on facebook and coming to know people on a more personal level than most message boards seem to allow, either... It is just not something that is necessary, however.

The whole thing about being strangers from within the boards kinda adds to the mystery, perhaps, that keeps members posting... however dis/honestly they do so. The anonymity seems to work for most. The few friends that do come to be close perhaps set a good example and encourage us... :dunno:

I have been online and chatting on boards for years. And, most people i don't know. But, i made a pal and i took the leap and we began Facebooking and now we chat on a regular basis and call and she is a very nice friend.

To me, it is a huge step to invite people into my life... my real life, that is. I'm not a good faker... :lol: so I don't fake it on the boards, either, but there is a healthy distance I keep. I have more than one facebook account now, but not because I want to be deceptive but because not everything I do directly involves my family.

I have a friend who has ventured into online dating... and her experiences alone keep me from even considering that option for any future references. I could see, however, making friends this way that lead to real life depths.

Forum List

Back