Arctic Sea Ice

ZURICH, Switzerland — The world's glaciers thinned by an average of almost 29 inches (74 centimetres) in 2007, indicating that they are melting twice as fast this decade as during the 1980s and 1990s, Swiss scientists said Thursday.

The World Glacier Monitoring Service in Zurich regularly measures 80 glaciers around the globe.

It found that some Alpine glaciers lost as much as three metres of ice cover, while coastal glaciers in Norway actually thickened in 2007.

The rate of decline was less than in 2006, according to Michael Zemp, one of the scientists involved.

But 2007 was the sixth year this decade that the glaciers lost on average more than 50 centimetres thickness.

“This means that the rate of melting during the 1980s and 1990s has more than doubled,” Dr. Zemp said.

globeandmail.com: World's glaciers melting faster, scientists say

Last edited:
Classically Liberal: Everything frozen is melting! NOT

Certainly that isn’t an exhaustive list of glacier that are growing. And it may still be possible that more glaciers are shrinking than growing. From the lack of studies for many thousands of glaciers it appears no one can really say. It appears that glaciers only miles apart can have different histories. Some are growing while neighbors are shrinking. Growing ice can be found in every corner of the world and I suspect that shrinking ice can be found in every corner of the world as well.

But what we do have is enough evidence to refute the New York Review of Books description of the IPCC report claiming, “That almost everything frozen on earth is melting.”

Unless, of course, by everything you don’t include the massive Baffin Bay region of Greenland, the bulk of Antarctica, thousands of glaciers in India and Pakistan, the annual ice formations of Hudson Bay, 50 glaciers in New Zealand including the two largest, a slew of glaciers in California, the massive Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina, glaciers in Norway, Alaska, Washington state, and Colorado. And if I keep reading on glaciers I would, no doubt, have found many more “exceptions” and “only” expanding glaciers.

GUARDIAN NEWS SERVICE: Warming means Pyrenees ice may last only decades - Loss will have severe impact on water supplies

The Pyrenees have lost almost 90% of their glacier ice over the past century, according to scientists, who warn that global warming means they will disappear completely within a few decades.

While glaciers covered 3,300 hectares of land on the mountain range that divides Spain and France at the turn of the last century, only 390 hectares remain, according to Spain's environment ministry.

The most southerly glaciers in Europe are losing the battle against warming and could be among the first to disappear from the continent over the coming decades.

The Hindu News Update Service

Last edited:
Of course none of these diversions change the fact that volcanic activity is a much more rational cause of artic melting. Particularly when global warming has no answer (that's zero, zilch, nada) to why some glaciers are expanding.

You are the one with no answers.

It is sad really.

what's sad is that you keep coming on here and spamming this information. everyone on here knows you are a moron.

Classically Liberal: Everything frozen is melting! NOT

Certainly that isn’t an exhaustive list of glacier that are growing. And it may still be possible that more glaciers are shrinking than growing. From the lack of studies for many thousands of glaciers it appears no one can really say. It appears that glaciers only miles apart can have different histories. Some are growing while neighbors are shrinking. Growing ice can be found in every corner of the world and I suspect that shrinking ice can be found in every corner of the world as well.

But what we do have is enough evidence to refute the New York Review of Books description of the IPCC report claiming, “That almost everything frozen on earth is melting.”

Unless, of course, by everything you don’t include the massive Baffin Bay region of Greenland, the bulk of Antarctica, thousands of glaciers in India and Pakistan, the annual ice formations of Hudson Bay, 50 glaciers in New Zealand including the two largest, a slew of glaciers in California, the massive Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina, glaciers in Norway, Alaska, Washington state, and Colorado. And if I keep reading on glaciers I would, no doubt, have found many more “exceptions” and “only” expanding glaciers.

One damned stupid post. Here are the facts on Antarctica;

Hundreds of Glaciers Melting Faster in Antarctica

Hundreds of Glaciers Melting Faster in AntarcticaBrian Handwerk
for National Geographic News

June 6, 2007
Hundreds of glaciers in Antarctica are melting faster as the region's climate warms, a new satellite study has revealed.

As the rivers of ice flow into the ocean, they could cause global sea levels to rise higher and faster than scientists had previously predicted.

Satellite images of more than 300 glaciers on the Antarctic Peninsula showed that they were flowing some 12 percent faster in 2003 than they were in 1993 (see an interactive map of Antarctica).

"It is increasingly apparent that glaciers can be sensitive on much shorter time scales than traditionally thought," said lead author Hamish Pritchard of the British Antarctic Survey.

"What is telling about [the study results] is that so many glaciers are behaving in such a similar way, and so quickly," he added.

Hmmm...... Seems that Himalayan glaciers are also melting;

Himalayan Glacier Melting Observed From Space

Himalayan Glacier Melting Observed From Space
ScienceDaily (Mar. 28, 2007) — The Himalaya, the "Roof of the World", source of the seven largest rivers of Asia are, like other mountain chains, suffering the effects of global warming. To assess the extent of melting of its 33 000 km2 of glaciers, scientists have been using a process they have been pioneering for some years.

Satellite-imagery derived glacier surface topographies obtained at intervals of a few years were adjusted and compared. Calculations indicated that 915 km2 of Himalayan glaciers of the test region, Spiti/Lahaul (Himachal Pradesh, India) thinned by an annual average of 0.85 m between 1999 and 2004. The technique is still experimental, but it has been validated in the Alps and could prove highly effective for watching over all the Himalayan glacier systems. However, the procedure for achieving a reliable estimate must overcome a number of sources of error and approximation inherent in satellite-based observations.

My, my, Factfudger, seems that you are incapable of reading;

Glaciers on California's Mt. Shasta keep growing - USATODAY.com

By Samantha Young, Associated Press Writer
MOUNT SHASTA, Calif. — Reaching more than 14,000 feet above sea level, Mt. Shasta dominates the landscape of high plains and conifer forests in far Northern California.
While it's not California's tallest mountain, the tongues of ice creeping down Shasta's volcanic flanks give the solitary mountain another distinction. Its seven glaciers, referred to by American Indians as the footsteps made by the creator when he descended to Earth, are the only historical glaciers in the continental U.S. known to be growing.
With global warming causing the retreat of glaciers in the Sierra Nevada, the Rocky Mountains and elsewhere in the Cascades, Mt. Shasta is actually benefiting from changing weather patterns over the Pacific Ocean.

Of course none of these diversions change the fact that volcanic activity is a much more rational cause of artic melting. Particularly when global warming has no answer (that's zero, zilch, nada) to why some glaciers are expanding.

It is sad really.

what's sad is that you keep coming on here and spamming this information. everyone on here knows you are a moron.

Let's see, Chris posts information, and all you post are insults. But Chris is spamming the board? :lol:

It is sad really.

Let's see, Chris posts information, and all you post is insults. But Chris is spamming the board? :lol:

he's been warned about it before. and you insult people every fucking time you post. the only reason you're defending kirky is because he agrees with you.

Let's see, Chris posts information, and all you post is insults. But Chris is spamming the board? :lol:

he's been warned about it before. and you insult people every fucking time you post. the only reason you're defending kirky is because he agrees with you.

I only insult really stupid and willfully ignorant people. :razz: Chris has been posting articles from scientific sources. You seldom post anything, and then when you do, it is from a political site, not a scientific one.

I only insult really stupid and willfully ignorant people. :razz: Chris has been posting articles from scientific sources. You seldom post anything, and then when you do, it is from a political site, not a scientific one.

wrong, you insult everyone who disagrees with you. and chris spammed that shit all over this board. ask the mods theyll tell you. and I have posted articles written by SCIENTISTS far more qualified than you and you wrote them off as imbiciles. so take your condescending tone and shove it up your ass.

Last edited:

wrong, you insult everyone who disagrees with you. and chris spammed that shit all over this board. ask the mods theyll tell you.

Sheesh. Ask the mods? Why, when I can read the posts for myself? I seldom start the insulting, you fellows are just a bunch of pantywaists that bitch, whine, and cry everytime you get your own medicine back in your face.

wrong, you insult everyone who disagrees with you. and chris spammed that shit all over this board. ask the mods theyll tell you.

Sheesh. Ask the mods? Why, when I can read the posts for myself? I seldom start the insulting, you fellows are just a bunch of pantywaists that bitch, whine, and cry everytime you get your own medicine back in your face.

I was talking about chris's spamming.

the other active global warming thread used to be five threads until the mods combined them into one.
and I call bullshit on you "not starting the insulting".

It is sad really.

Let's see, Chris posts information, and all you post are insults. But Chris is spamming the board? :lol:

Posting factual articles that don't agree with elvis' point of view is spamming.

He responds to these with childish insults. It's pretty pathetic.

Del and Dive do the same thing.

Posting factual articles that don't agree with elvis' point of view is spamming.

no, posting the same fucking thing over and over like monica, i mean chrissie is spamming.

no, posting the same fucking thing over and over like monica, i mean chrissie is spamming.

Thanks for proving my point.

actually, no, we post our points of view AND insult your pathetic ass.

Forum List

Back