Arctic Sea Ice

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis
Figure 3. Monthly February ice extent for 1979 to 2009 shows 2009 as the fourth-lowest February on record.
—Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center

High-resolution image
February 2009 compared to past Februaries

Monthly average ice extent for February 2009 was the fourth lowest in the satellite record. February 2005 had the lowest ice extent for the month; February 2006 was the second lowest; and February 2007 is in third place. Including 2009, the downward linear trend in February ice extent over the satellite record stands at –2.8% per decade.

Science News Share Fire Under Arctic Ice: Volcanoes Have Been Blowing Their Tops In The Deep Ocean

ScienceDaily (June 26, 2008) — A research team led by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) has uncovered evidence of explosive volcanic eruptions deep beneath the ice-covered surface of the Arctic Ocean. Such violent eruptions of splintered, fragmented rock--known as pyroclastic deposits -- were not thought possible at great ocean depths because of the intense weight and pressure of water and because of the composition of seafloor magma and rock.

Fire Under Arctic Ice: Volcanoes Have Been Blowing Their Tops In The Deep Ocean

While the heated water from the hydrothermal vents does not significantly affect ocean temperatures, the vents have attracted the attention of both biologists and geologists. Hydrothermal vents on mid-ocean ridges in the world's oceans provide chemical energy that supports exotic life forms and large ecosystems far removed from the Earth's sunlit surface, where photosynthesis forms the base of the food chain. "Our discovery of these signals clearly show that hydrothermal vents similar to those present on faster spreading mid-ocean ridges are present in abundance here, too," said AMORE researcher Henrietta Edmonds of the University of Texas.

Healy Researchers Make A Series Of Striking Discoveries About Arctic Ocean

Arctic summer ice could vanish by 2013: expert | Environment | Reuters

By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Arctic is warming up so quickly that the region's sea ice cover in summer could vanish as early as 2013, decades earlier than some had predicted, a leading polar expert said on Thursday.

Warwick Vincent, director of the Center for Northern Studies at Laval University in Quebec, said recent data on the ice cover "appear to be tracking the most pessimistic of the models", which call for an ice free summer in 2013.

The year "2013 is starting to look as though it is a lot more reasonable as a prediction. But each year we've been wrong -- each year we're finding that it's a little bit faster than expected," he told Reuters.

The Arctic is warming at twice the rate of the rest of the world and the sea ice cover shrank to a record low in 2007 before growing slightly in 2008.

In 2004 a major international panel forecast the cover could vanish by 2100. Last December, some experts said the summer ice could go in the next 10 or 20 years.

If the ice cover disappears, it could have major consequences. Shipping companies are already musing about short cuts through the Arctic, which also contains enormous reserves of oil and natural gas.

Vincent's scientific team has spent the last 10 summers on Ward Hunt Island, a remote spot some 2,500 miles northwest of Ottawa.

"I was astounded as to how fast the changes are taking place. The extent of open water is something that we haven't experienced in the 10 years that I've been working up there," he said after making a presentation in the Canadian Parliament.

"We're losing, irreversibly, major features of the Canadian ice scape

Old Rocks, don't you know that global warming is all a plot by Al Gore to make money?

Al Gore has stated, "Tipper and I are devoting 100 percent of the profits from the book and the movie to a new bipartisan educational campaign to further spread the message about global warming."[34] Paramount Classics committed 5% of their domestic theatrical gross from the film to form a new bipartisan climate action group, Alliance for Climate Protection, dedicated to awareness and grassroots organizing.[35]

An Inconvenient Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've noticed that the republicans tend not to post in threads like this one, and when they do they seem to tend to avoid the main topic.

I find their apparent cowardice very interesting.

As far as the ice goes, once we lose a certain amount of it, from what I understand, there'll be no turning back.

The ice provides a reflective surface, and of the light that hits it, most is reflected back into space. The ocean that is left behind has a darker surface, and most (or at least more) of the light that hits it is absorbed into the planets heating system.

At a certain point, even if CO2 levels were brought back to normal, the earth would continue to warm as more and more ice was lost each year.

The unintended confessions of a koolaid drinker.

Peter Foster: The crumbling case for global warming - Full Comment

Peter Foster: The crumbling case for global warming

Posted: March 10, 2009, 8:05 PM by NP Editor
Peter Foster, climate change
Voters should ask politicians one simple question: ‘Why do you want to raise my energy prices?’

By Peter Foster

One young radical turned up at the Heartland Institute’s climate change skeptics’ conference in New York this week to declare that he had never witnessed so much hypocrisy. How, he asked the panelists of a session on European policy, could they sleep at night? Clearly puzzled, one of the panelists asked him with which parts of their presentations he disagreed. “Oh,” he said “I didn’t come here to listen to the presentations.”

I've noticed that the republicans tend not to post in threads like this one, and when they do they seem to tend to avoid the main topic.

I find their apparent cowardice very interesting.

As far as the ice goes, once we lose a certain amount of it, from what I understand, there'll be no turning back.

The ice provides a reflective surface, and of the light that hits it, most is reflected back into space. The ocean that is left behind has a darker surface, and most (or at least more) of the light that hits it is absorbed into the planets heating system.

At a certain point, even if CO2 levels were brought back to normal, the earth would continue to warm as more and more ice was lost each year.

oh we have posted articles supporting our position. when we do, people like old rocks criticize the scientists we quote. of course, he can see Mount St. Helens from his kitchen window, so that makes him an authority on glaciers and global warming.

Voters should ask politicians one simple question: ‘Why do you want to raise my energy prices?’

By Peter Foster

One young radical turned up at the Heartland Institute’s climate change skeptics’ conference in New York this week to declare that he had never witnessed so much hypocrisy. How, he asked the panelists of a session on European policy, could they sleep at night? Clearly puzzled, one of the panelists asked him with which parts of their presentations he disagreed. “Oh,” he said “I didn’t come here to listen to the presentations.”

The Heartland Institute is a political organization, not a scientific society. They, nor their conferance, has the slightest credibility among real scientists. When their presenters or panelists can write an article rebutting the present evidence for AGW that will pass peer review for Nature, Science, or the Journal of Geophysical Research, then they will have some input.

By Peter Foster

The Heartland Institute is a political organization, not a scientific society. They, nor their conferance, has the slightest credibility among real scientists. When their presenters or panelists can write an article rebutting the present evidence for AGW that will pass peer review for Nature, Science, or the Journal of Geophysical Research, then they will have some input.

case in point

Case in point is that a political institute is hardly a trustworthy source of scientific information, particularly when that institute recieves a great deal of funding from the very people that are opposed to scientific inquiry into the effects of GHGs.

And all the yapping by their paid presenters does not slow the melting of the glaciers and the Arctic Ice Cap one bit. Nor the melting of the Greenland Ice Cap and the Antarctic Ice Cap. And the glaciers on all the mountain ranges in the world continue to recede.

Case in point is that a political institute is hardly a trustworthy source of scientific information, particularly when that institute recieves a great deal of funding from the very people that are opposed to scientific inquiry into the effects of GHGs.

And all the yapping by their paid presenters does not slow the melting of the glaciers and the Arctic Ice Cap one bit. Nor the melting of the Greenland Ice Cap and the Antarctic Ice Cap. And the glaciers on all the mountain ranges in the world continue to recede.

yes they will until NATURE reverses its cycle.

I saw a program this past week on the ice age and the melting of the ice...and what put us in to a super warming, and they were saying that volcanos erupted beneath the ice and METHANE that was captured beneath the frozen tundra when melted got released in to the atmosphere, warming the globe even further....

the volcanos under the ice is not good.... even with plant life growing again in deep waters...

Tain't nature, sonny boy. 385+ ppm of CO2, over 100 ppm of the figure is the work of mankind.

Here is where you can lose some of that ignorance;

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

Tain't nature, sonny boy. 385+ ppm of CO2, over 100 ppm of the figure is the work of mankind.

First off, I'm not your son.

and second, "I can see Mount St. Helens from my kitchen window." shows you know as much about this subject as Sarah Palin does about foreign affairs.

There are a great many people living in St. Johns and North Portland that can see Mt. St. Helens from their property. And, as one might imagine, events on St. Helens routinely make the news here in Portland, Oregon.

Elvis is what you might call "willfully ignorant."

He knows the truth, but wont admit it.

Forum List

Back