Apples are almost ready to pick!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
and the deer are in my yard every night, eating the ones they can reach...but i have NOT been able to get any pics of them...my 2 cameras do not take good pics at night :(

i made a picnic, and we went to the boatramp at the lake about a mile from the house to eat dinner...when we drove up our road, 2 deer ran out from our yard across the street in to the meadow... i had my camera with me too, because i took pics of the moon shing over the lake....I just wasn't thinking when we turned down our dirt road to have my camera ready...DARN IT TOO! WE NEARLY hit them with the car they were so close...OH and they were not the usual White tail deer, these suckers were much larger...lighter tan, no white tail?

anyway all of my fruit and hardwood trees got hit with some disease this year...the apples are not as pretty as usual and not nearly as many, the wild plum produced nearly no fruit this year, and same with the black cherry trees...this whole summer stunk, compared to our normal summers... A lot more deer and other animals that rely on the dried fruit and berries over winter are going to starve and die....we usually lose 25% of our deer each winter, i bet we hit 35%-40% loss this winter! :(

besides scarred, the fruit is so small this year too! but i picked a bunch yesterday to tast them out and they made a great 2 jars of apple sauce! :)

P9221905.JPG

P9281951.JPG

P9281957.JPG

P9281915.JPG

P9292082.JPG

oh and here are a couple of other fall foliage

P9281971.JPG

P9292015.JPG

here are the moon shots...

P9281960.JPG

P9282000.JPG

P9281985.JPG

Does that take me back decades to my time near Grant's Pass, Oregon. Apples, the Rogue River and steelhead, bear, deer, mean raccoons trying to get in the attic, and brawls down at the beer joint. I have not thought of those days in forever. I remember a pregnant lady who got kicked in the stomach and she almost beat the drunk to death with a cue stick. And I remember the fine people of that valley who were very kind to a lonely boy. Thank you very much.

Forum List

Back