Wars are good for the economy?

MESQUITE, Texas (AP) — At a bustling construction site outside of Dallas, there are hopes that Congress can finally pass nearly $95 billion in foreign aid including funding for Ukraine — because factory jobs in the United States depend on that money.

Aerospace and defense company General Dynamics’ new factory in the Dallas suburb of Mesquite is expected to initially employ 150 people to produce munitions. Set to open in June, construction is nearing completion, with newly planted trees and shrubs already in place at the complex overlooking one of the area’s busiest interstates.

“We want to increase our wages and increase our skill levels and job opportunities,” said Kim Buttram, Mesquite's director of economic development, who added that the factory is expected to have over 300 jobs when it’s at full production.

As President Joe Biden pushes House Republicans to pass needed aid, he wants voters to understand that nearly two-thirds — or nearly $40 billion — of the money for Ukraine would actually go to U.S. factories spread out across the country including plants in Lima, Ohio and Scranton, Pennsylvania as well as Mesquite.

I guess this is Joe Biden's answer to fixing the economy.

I wonder how long they can keep the war going.

Is this news to you?

It's been very well known that government investment in the military industries helps the economy. No news here.

It's not as well known that the vast majority of technological innovation comes from government investment in military R&D.

American business people, for a very, very long time have refused to invest in R&D, because they can get the government to pay for it.

That's why the Japanese bypassed us in automotive technology long ago. The U.S. government lost interest in automotive R&D, so U.S. automotive innovation ended.

Now they just copy from the Japanese.

Humans suffer and die in war... someone needs to remind Biden of this fact....

MESQUITE, Texas (AP) — At a bustling construction site outside of Dallas, there are hopes that Congress can finally pass nearly $95 billion in foreign aid including funding for Ukraine — because factory jobs in the United States depend on that money.

Aerospace and defense company General Dynamics’ new factory in the Dallas suburb of Mesquite is expected to initially employ 150 people to produce munitions. Set to open in June, construction is nearing completion, with newly planted trees and shrubs already in place at the complex overlooking one of the area’s busiest interstates.

“We want to increase our wages and increase our skill levels and job opportunities,” said Kim Buttram, Mesquite's director of economic development, who added that the factory is expected to have over 300 jobs when it’s at full production.

As President Joe Biden pushes House Republicans to pass needed aid, he wants voters to understand that nearly two-thirds — or nearly $40 billion — of the money for Ukraine would actually go to U.S. factories spread out across the country including plants in Lima, Ohio and Scranton, Pennsylvania as well as Mesquite.

I guess this is Joe Biden's answer to fixing the economy.

I wonder how long they can keep the war going.
War does provide opportunity for the military industrial complex to produce military vehicles, equipment, ammunition and such that does provide at least temporary good jobs for people who then infuse that income into the overall economy. That is a fact that cannot be argued away. Biden unwittingly acknowledged that with his remarks.

When the war ends, however, many of those workers will need to be laid off because there is significantly less market for the products they make. The seeming benefits are transitory and fleeting. But the short term benefit provides a huge incentive for there to be war especially when the politicians expect to be out of office when everything hits the fan and somebody else will be blamed for the fall out.

And when the money to do war is just printed, i.e. borrowed, with no plan or even incentive to repay the treasury, the inflationary pressures put on the economy almost certainly more than offset any benefits to the economy. This is basic economics 100 in any good college course.

And the wasted, destroyed, spilled blood and treasure never seems to be factored into the equation.

War does provide opportunity for the military industrial complex to produce military vehicles, equipment, ammunition and such that does provide at least temporary good jobs for people who then infuse that income into the overall economy. That is a fact that cannot be argued away. Biden unwittingly acknowledged that with his remarks.

When the war ends, however, many of those workers will need to be laid off because there is significantly less market for the products they make. The seeming benefits are transitory and fleeting. But the short term benefit provides a huge incentive for there to be war especially when the politicians expect to be out of office when everything hits the fan and somebody else will be blamed for the fall out.

And when the money to do war is just printed, i.e. borrowed, with no plan or even incentive to repay the treasury, the inflationary pressures put on the economy almost certainly more than offset any benefits to the economy. This is basic economics 100 in any good college course.

And the wasted, destroyed, spilled blood and treasure never seems to be factored into the equation.
Our military is constantly approving new weapons to arm an inactive military... training creates jobs and new weapons testing... troops movements take place everyday... we don't need war for any of it... the idea is to fend off war not cause one to fund...

But why the unrelenting denial of the fact that America is being proactive with starting a war against Russia?

America's proxy war against Russia is being proactive by America, to prevent a Brics coalition that would/will be too powerful for America to deal with.

That's money well spent! There's no sense in pretending it's not. No matter which of America many wars of aggression is being discussed.

Granted, many of the wars turn out to be a waste of money.
Bastiat's broken window in action.

Our military is constantly approving new weapons to arm an inactive military... training creates jobs and new weapons testing... troops movements take place everyday... we don't need war for any of it... the idea is to fend off war not cause one to fund...
Well we aren't exactly fending off war these days are we.

Biden didn't even try to stop Putin.... ask yourself why... then he undoes every good thing Trump did in the middle east and sure enough we have a war... ask yourself why....

Billions get siphoned into democrat campaigns with no trace of where the billions come from... so war helps dems with campaign cash.... its also used to buy people in DC like Wray...

The money is also used to buy judges and DA's all across the nation.... now you know why dems all of a sudden like war...

Biden didn't even try to stop Putin.... ask yourself why... then he undoes every good thing Trump did in the middle east and sure enough we have a war... ask yourself why....
While I'm not as certain re following the money as you indicate you are :) , I do know that when Trump was President the war in Syria ended and the war in Afghanistan was winding down in an orderly and responsible manner, North Korea stopped firing missiles over South Korea and Japan, China, Russia, Iran all stopped saber rattling, and we had the closest thing to world peace any of us had ever known. And the economy was booming until COVID shut everything down.

(One of the most dishonest things the Democrats and their surrogate propaganda machine known as the MSM have done is say Trump lost X number of jobs. Well those jobs were mostly temporary losses because the economy was shut down. And Biden took credit for 'creating new jobs' when people were allowed to return to the jobs they already had. But I digress.)

But the Trump economy proved that real economic growth comes from people doing what they do best, i.e. increase their wealth and buying power in a friendly economy that promotes free market capitalism instead of government growth and promoting war.

Once again, our President demonstrates he understands the issue better than Republicans

Republicans present it as Biden throwing money at Ukraine.
Most of the money is going to the Defense Industry in the US for military equipment
US Jobs
If people didn't have their money stolen by the government they would have spent or saved it. Both would benefit the US economy. All this does is line the pockets of the politically connected.

I have no problem doing both
I'm for fighting back against the cartels that kill innocent Americans at a rate of 200 people murdered a day, but your man Joe is not.

He prefers to kill Russians that don't harm US citizens.

Why do you think that is?

I'm for fighting back against the cartels that kill innocent Americans at a rate of 200 people murdered a day, but your man Joe is not.

He prefers to kill Russians that don't harm US citizens.

Why do you think that is?

I am willing to do both

Forum List

Back