Another idiot politician doesn't know how old the Earth is.

Some kid made a video condemning Rubio, and that kid thought the earth was 13 billion years old.

That's probably because Rubio himself muddled the question of the age of the earth and the age of the universe in his response.

Turns out he doesn't know either. He's not a scientist, man.

Rubio didn't muddle the response. He said he was no scientist but the age of the earth has nothing to do with fixing the economy. Which is absolutely and unequivocally true.

The ironic thing the left wing religious bigots fail to realize is that the global warming alleged "scientific community" has apparently come to the conclusion that the world was created around the latter part of the 1800's. Why else would they blame the industrial revolution for global warming when ice core samples indicate wild fluctuations in weather patterns for thousands of years? Bigotry and ignorance is the only excuse for the left these days.

Rubio didn't muddle the response. He said he was no scientist but the age of the earth has nothing to do with fixing the economy. Which is absolutely and unequivocally true.

You're missing my point. He was asked how old the earth is and at one point said "I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow." He muddled those two (different) questions, which is probably why the person you're talking about referenced billions in the 13 range instead of in the 4 range.

Obama did not say young earth theology and science should be given equal time in the classroom.

Rubio did.

That is an important distinction.

Obama also stated unequviocally in his response that he believes in evolution.

Rubio did not.

You got a link to your claims?

But of course!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsF0b-rSDxA&list=PL4E29887981DD7EDF](3/5) Sen. Barack Obama at CNN Compassion Forum - YouTube[/ame]

Let me just make one last point on this. I do believe in evolution. I don't think that is incompatible with Christian faith, just as I don't think science generally is incompatible with Christian faith. I think that this is something that we get bogged down in. There are those who suggest that if you have a scientific bent of mind then somehow you should reject religion, and I fundamentally disagree with that. In fact, the more I learn about the world, the more I know about science, the more I am amazed about the mystery of this planet and this universe—and it strengthens my faith as opposed to weakens it.

The OP conveniently did not include Obama's entire answer.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, I am willing to bet everyone who condemned Rubio will think this guy is a genius.

rubio_scientist.jpg

Slate isn't exactly a rightwing rag and they certainly do not give Rubio a pass, nor Obama as most on this board are trying to do. The truth is that Obama can say just about anything he wants about religion and the left knows he is just playing to those who really do have religion. They know, as witnessed here, he really doesn't believe it he is just doing EXACTLY what they accuse Rubio of doing, or worse.

From the SLATE article:

1) Both senators refuse to give an honest answer to the question. Neither deigns to mention that the Earth is 4.54 billion years old.

Incorrect.

Obama unequivocally states he believes in evolution, a theory that requires the Earth to be billions of years old.

From the SLATE article:

1) Both senators refuse to give an honest answer to the question. Neither deigns to mention that the Earth is 4.54 billion years old.

That is a lie. Obama said that he believes in evolution and that science is not incompatible with Christian faith. That means Obama believes what science says about the Earth age.

From the SLATE article:

That is a lie. Obama said that he believes in evolution and that science is not incompatible with Christian faith. That means Obama believes what science says about the Earth age.

They were also asked fundamentally different questions. Rubio was asked point blank how old he believes the earth is. Obama was essentially asked how he tells his daughters that the Biblical creation myth isn't literally true. To his credit, he steered that toward a defense of evolution and an assertion that personal faith doesn't mean you can't appreciate and understand scientific truth. Something Rubio doesn't appear to have realized yet.

Obama contradicts himself. He first says he doesn't presume to know if the Bible story is exactly true, but later says 'I do believe in evolution.'

You can't believe in evolution without accepting the scientific estimate of the Earth's age.

You do know that evolution and geology have nothing to do with each other, don't you?

Just watched this video. Obama was not asked how old the earth is. He was asked if the world was created in six days. He went in to say he did believe God created the universe and that there are those who read the bible literally and others metaphorically.

Exactly. And the question was asked as if his children asked the question, which changes the matter somewhat. I remember listening to my granddaughter tell a little girl in Petsmart that her dead fish was up in heaven. How do you talk to children. Even religions today admit the Bible is only a bunch of stories. I have no trouble with Rubio's answer, it's his ideas I question.

Marco Rubio: Actual Age Of Earth Is 'One Of The Great Mysteries'

Are you saying it is acceptable to lie to kids?

Slate isn't exactly a rightwing rag and they certainly do not give Rubio a pass, nor Obama as most on this board are trying to do. The truth is that Obama can say just about anything he wants about religion and the left knows he is just playing to those who really do have religion. They know, as witnessed here, he really doesn't believe it he is just doing EXACTLY what they accuse Rubio of doing, or worse.

From the SLATE article:

2) They both go so far as to disqualify themselves from even pronouncing an opinion. I'm not a scientist, says Rubio. I don’t presume to know, says Obama.

3) That's because they both agree that the question is a tough one, and subject to vigorous debate. I think there are multiple theories out there on how this universe was created, says Rubio. I think it's a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I'm a part, says Obama.

4) Finally they both profess confusion over whether the Bible should be taken literally. Maybe the "days" in Genesis were actual eras, says Rubio. They might not have been standard 24-hour days, says Obama.

Bingo, they both end up saying essentially the same thing, yet only one of them is getting a bad rap from the press. I would wonder why if I wasn't so cynical.

Strangely enough, I am willing to bet everyone who condemned Rubio will think this guy is a genius.

(2/5) Sen. Barack Obama at CNN Compassion Forum - YouTube

Slate has a nice story about the answers.

Rubio and Obama and the age of Earth: Politicians hedge about whether universe was created. - Slate Magazine

Go for it.

Cause I don't see your problem with this.

I don't have a problem with it, just like I don't have a problem with what Rubio said. What I have a problem with is the idiots that think Rubio is stupid, but think Obama is smart.

And aside from that..I basically don't want someone using their religious beliefs as a factor in policy. Those should be personal.

Then you should be heaping praise upon Rubio for saying that his religious beliefs have nothing to do with a discussion about the economy. If I go check that thread is that what I will see, or are you one of the idiots?

Obama did not say young earth theology and science should be given equal time in the classroom.

Rubio did.

That is an important distinction.

Obama also stated unequviocally in his response that he believes in evolution.

Rubio did not.

But of course!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsF0b-rSDxA&list=PL4E29887981DD7EDF"](3/5) Sen. Barack Obama at CNN Compassion Forum - YouTube[/ame]

Let me just make one last point on this. I do believe in evolution. I don't think that is incompatible with Christian faith, just as I don't think science generally is incompatible with Christian faith. I think that this is something that we get bogged down in. There are those who suggest that if you have a scientific bent of mind then somehow you should reject religion, and I fundamentally disagree with that. In fact, the more I learn about the world, the more I know about science, the more I am amazed about the mystery of this planet and this universe—and it strengthens my faith as opposed to weakens it.

It was tow different questions, idiot.

From the SLATE article:

Incorrect.

Obama unequivocally states he believes in evolution, a theory that requires the Earth to be billions of years old.

Evolution requires no such thing. We know exactly nada about the driving forces behind evolution. The fossil record clearly shows that evolution works in spurts, and that the cone of diversity, which is the theory you think applies here, is bunk. What actually happened is dissemination and diversification, a model that requires a lot less time to propagate to the various species we have today. That is why life is found in the fossil record all over the Earth within one billion years after current theory puts the age of the Earth. These findings actually forced scientists to rethink both abiogenesis and evolution. They are still trying to figure out how life spread as quickly as it demonstrably did.

I suggest you educate yourself before you try talking about science with this particular religious nut. A good place to start is here.

TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy

But of course!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsF0b-rSDxA&list=PL4E29887981DD7EDF"](3/5) Sen. Barack Obama at CNN Compassion Forum - YouTube[/ame]

No, it was the same question, look at the video (the answer was split between 2/5 and 3/5 clips).

Last edited:

From the SLATE article:

Incorrect.

Evolution requires no such thing. We know exactly nada about the driving forces behind evolution. The fossil record clearly shows that evolution works in spurts, and that the cone of diversity, which is the theory you think applies here, is bunk. What actually happened is dissemination and diversification, a model that requires a lot less time to propagate to the various species we have today. That is why life is found in the fossil record all over the Earth within one billion years after current theory puts the age of the Earth. These findings actually forced scientists to rethink both abiogenesis and evolution. They are still trying to figure out how life spread as quickly as it demonstrably did.

I suggest you educate yourself before you try talking about science with this particular religious nut. A good place to start is here.

TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy

You contradict yourself.

The theory of evolution most certainly requires an Earth that is billions of years old.

Timeline of evolutionary history of life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

No, it was the same question, look at the video.

I didn't split the video up, CNN did, therefore I did not neglect to include the full answer.

Yes you did. The clip you posted clearly ends with Obama speaking before he is done talking. There was obviously more to his answer, and your clip is clearly labeled as part 2 of 5.

And like ilia said, it was not two questions. His answer continues into the next clip. One question.

Forum List

Back