Americans Still Blame Bush More Than Obama for Bad Economy

About half of Republicans blame Bush
by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans continue to place more blame for the nation's economic problems on George W. Bush than on Barack Obama, even though Bush left office more than three years ago. The relative economic blame given to Bush versus Obama today is virtually the same as it was last September.
<more>

Its not really Bush's fault either.

It took more than one or two Presidents to fuck things up this bad.

didnt the USA gradually start going down the toilet when pelosi and her friends took over in 2007?

Yep. As soon as Pelosi got into office, she built a time machine and went back to the late 90's and told bankers they had to start handing out balloon notes and sub-prime adjustable rate loans to unqualified and unsophisticated borrowers like candy.

RWF and the other silly far righters whose vote but not their talk is what we want:

All those freaks can't accept the fact that neo-corporatist behavior from 1994 to 2006 with compliant presidents set the stage for this recession.

The American people have not forgotten.

About half of Republicans blame Bush
by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans continue to place more blame for the nation's economic problems on George W. Bush than on Barack Obama, even though Bush left office more than three years ago. The relative economic blame given to Bush versus Obama today is virtually the same as it was last September.
<more>

Yes, it is the Bush recession; Obama has created PART II thereof, however.

Only if you consider truth a deflection the truth is Bush is not on the ballot Obama is. Trying somehow to make the 2012 election about Bush now that's a deflection.

Your deflection lies in the fact that claims of Obama ruining the economy doesn't mesh with the majority of voters. Now you are pretending that the stat of the econmy and who's to blame is no big deal. Thats the deflection.
Where did I say Obama ruined the economy? Allow me I didn't again I stated that Obama is on the ballot Bush is not that is not a claim that Obama ruined the economy just a simple truthful fact. I am not pretending anything about the economy Bush did his share of damage and most of Obama's policies have done their fair share of damage as well another truthful fact. People can debate on who has done more damage if they want to but come November the vast majority will be voting on what Obama has done not what Bush did no deflection just the truth.

Where did I say you did? And the reason its important is because Romney said he will return to the Bush policies. People still blame Bush. So if Romney says he'll go back to that, people will think back and vote accordingly

Your deflection lies in the fact that claims of Obama ruining the economy doesn't mesh with the majority of voters. Now you are pretending that the stat of the econmy and who's to blame is no big deal. Thats the deflection.
Where did I say Obama ruined the economy? Allow me I didn't again I stated that Obama is on the ballot Bush is not that is not a claim that Obama ruined the economy just a simple truthful fact. I am not pretending anything about the economy Bush did his share of damage and most of Obama's policies have done their fair share of damage as well another truthful fact. People can debate on who has done more damage if they want to but come November the vast majority will be voting on what Obama has done not what Bush did no deflection just the truth.

Where did I say you did? And the reason its important is because Romney said he will return to the Bush policies. People still blame Bush. So if Romney says he'll go back to that, people will think back and vote accordingly
In responding to my post you said your deflection lies in the fact that claims of Obama ruining the economy doesn't mesh with the majority of voters.If you were not claiming or suggesting I said that why use the words your deflection? For the record I have never heard Romney say he will return to the Bush policies I have heard that a great deal from his critics but never him. My feeling is people will look back more over the last three plus years than they will the eight before and vote on that.

Romney has not said he will go back to the Bush policies.

The day he says that the election is over.

I want him elected, and I don't think he is a Gingrichan or a Boehner--boner.

didnt the USA gradually start going down the toilet when pelosi and her friends took over in 2007?

The economy began to decline in 2001. The labor force, employment, and growth in GDP began to decline in 2001. Bush and Greenspan did their best, given the tools at hand, to keep the economy pumped up. Unfortunately, the markets had figured out how to make money investing in real estate. The bubble was a combination of increased investment funds demanding mortage backed securities, driving interest rates down, along with non-prime loans allowing real estate investors to drive housing prices upward, chasing ever increasing equity. Unfortuntately, when the bubble burst, it took down the entire real estate market as investors walked away from mortgages. The falling prices caught new home owners, with adjustable rates, unable to refi into a fixed, under water and stuck, or worse yet, underwater and without a job. The systematic risk, that had accumulated throughout the banking system, propogated upward to the top putting the entire financial system at risk. It also drove the housing industry down to such a degree that consumer demand declines significantly enough to cause a fall in GDP. This was a combined effect of both declining housing support product demand declining as well as a huge paydown of revolving consumer credit. As the recession began to take hold, credit markets tightened up, business loans were recalled, companies began to pay of business loans rather then expand. The money supply contracted and the economy went into a deflationary spiral.

can you give the link where Romney said he will go back to the Bush policies, thanks

Obama tripled the mess. He is not qualified to do what Presidents do--take care of the country. Instead of taking care of America, he's only taking care of a handful of people who back him and calling his political opponents "enemies." And if they say anything to oppose his political view, he calls them "racists." And when they tell him they're not racists, he puts them on Attack Watch.

You are clearly out of touch with reality.

Let's start with this; "tripled" means three times. Name one thing that is three times larger since Dec, 2007. GDP? Unemployment? Deficit? Debt? Anything? Population? Nothing... There is nothing that is three times larger since Dec, 2007. Not even the monetary base is three times larger, it's only two times larger, 208% to be exact. (Okay, last I looked, perhaps a bit more).

"enemies"? "racists"? "Attack Watch"? What the fuck are you talking about?

Good god. At least try to stay in touch with reality.

As always with polls---the devil is in the details of the question. Clearly US economic collapse predated the Obama Presidency. The real question would be to ask if Obama has been effective in working toward recovery. As to the root cause of the mortgage related economic collapse---the line of responsibility stretches back to Jimmy Carter and the CRA, Clinton and repeal of Glass Steagall, and the symbiotic efforts of the progressive left in concert with powerful Democrats in Congress that prevented dealing with the problem before it exploded into the current crisis. As is usually the case, the principals involved are skating away from responsibility---Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Chuck Schumer, Robert Rubin, and union enablers who supplied the muscle to intimidate Banks and other lending institutions into offering sub-prime mortgages as the price of doing business.

Absolute, unadulterated, bullshit. (Well, half of it.)

Funny thing is, I was talking to a guy today, a shop owner, on Main Street. And sure as shit, he understood it to be exactly what it was, a purely free market process.

Demand for mortagage backed securities drove demand all the way down to putting anyone in a house that the market players could. All the way up the line, from the flipper, the real estate agent, the mortgage brocker, the private securitization agencies, and the security brockers, every one that touched the process got a piece of the money. And, unregulated, they did whatever they could, whatever they could get away with, to just keep the money moving, keep the houses turning over. When the market was tapped out, when there was no one left to keep the prices rising, the flippers walked away from their mortgages and the market crashed.

The most amazing thing is, it was the same process happening in Ireland, in other countries, that was happening in the US. The global economy is just that small. Six degrees of separation means that the latest money making market process in one country is the same one in another country. Remember, it's the world wide web and it went up globally, all at the same time. It went online in Ireland and England at the same time it went up in the U.S. Real estate investment, mortgage backed securities, security default swaps, and non-prime mortgages are no different. That is simply how the free market works and it has worked that way since wooden ships were sailing between the US, England, and France, over 200 years ago. The only difference now is that information crosses the ocean a bit faster.

But countries, free markets in countries, all do the same shit at the same time. All you have to know is that Joseph Henry, in the US, and Faraday, in France, both discovered the same electromagnetic physical properties at the same time, separated by an ocean, over two hundred years ago. Why? Because the world moves forward, in science, business, and politics based on it's current state, to the next most reasonable step. And countries don't do it in isolation.

That is what you don't seem to get, what this guy on Main street gets, it was a simple free-market process. It was exactly what we should expect of people and the markets, given the opportunity.

Could it have been mitigated in the US? Sure.

Would the US have been spared when the rest of the globe fell into recession? Not likely.

Did any single individual or governing body cause it in the U.S? Of course not.

What this guy on Main Street got, what he told me, was that people lied, tens of thousands of professionals, from real estate agents to the brokers of security default swaps. He got it, he told me before I got a chance to tell him.

And you can't blame individuals falsifying records, falsifying loan documents, lying about risk in MBSs and CDSs, on Jimmy Carter, Clinton, Bush, or Greenspan. The fault for lying is on the liar.

The most that can be blamed is for failing the regulate the markets. But you know what, this is America. We don't regulate based on suspicion. We don't regulate based on might be. We don't even ban pesticides, medications, or medical devices based on might be.

This is America where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. This is America where we are willing to die for our freedom. Someone will die for our freedom, at least. Someone will die before we will convict an innocent person (we are not France). Someone will die before we will ban a pesticide (we are not England). Someone will die before we will be forced to pay for medical insurance (we are not Canada). Someone will die for our right to get a new medication out to market (we have lawyers to sue later on).

We regulate only after the markets have failed, after the economy crashes, and we have definitive proof of not just what might be but was really was.

Perhaps now it is time to recognize that the real estate and financial markets need a little bit of regulation. Or perhaps not, after all, no one died.

Last edited:

Yep. As soon as Pelosi got into office, she built a time machine and went back to the late 90's and told bankers they had to start handing out balloon notes and sub-prime adjustable rate loans to unqualified and unsophisticated borrowers like candy.

It seems to go in cycles. Back in the mid 40's, people would lie about their income on a mortgage application. In the mid '70s they could do it again. And there was this thing called "creative financing". I am pretty sure it got harder to lie about income, then we got the whole low-doc, no-doc thing again. It's a free market/regulation back and forth thing going on. This wasn't the only real estate bubble, just the biggest.

blog+60.jpg

Why do you have so many ass pics on your computer? Mostly men too you sick bastard.

I suspected you didn't know how to use a "search engine" because you never link to anything and you don't know anything. Now I have "proof".

I don't understand why more people don't still blame Bush. I suspect it's because they never understood the magnitude of his damage, and expected Obama to fix it more quickly.

:razz::razz: Our Whiner and Chief can't get any support out of this. In my over 50 years have never heard a President whine so0000 much. Did you ever hear G.W. Bush blame Clinton for anything--NO. Did you ever hear Bill Clinton blame GHW Bush for anything--NO. No President other than the baby currently sitting in the oval office has done that.
Why--BECAUSE THEY HAVE A LOT MORE CLASS than this idiot And only dumb ass's listen to his continual whining.

official+bush+portrait,+totus+cartoons.jpg

Bush says job is "hard".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ38wu5Fp6w]Hard Working George - YouTube[/ame]

It's really hard. What a whiner. He can't blame it on Clinton because it was his fault. Duh!

Has anyone linked where Romney stated he would go back to Bush economic and foreign policies.

Forum List

Back