Americans Still Blame Bush More Than Obama for Bad Economy

About half of Republicans blame Bush
by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans continue to place more blame for the nation's economic problems on George W. Bush than on Barack Obama, even though Bush left office more than three years ago. The relative economic blame given to Bush versus Obama today is virtually the same as it was last September.
<more>

tsquare.gif

Because 3 years of 'on the job training' hasn't helped.

yeah well, since this has been posted about a hundred times already, what does it say about your smarts?

my gawd

It's an absurd question, anyway.

Our current situation has been created by decades of brain-dead borrowing by both the federal government and the individual consumer. Short-sighted, me-first, I want it now thinking that has finally caught up to us.

A more appropriate question might be, "which President has done more to challenge Americans to stop being stupid with money?" -- and both Bush and Obama have failed at that. No politician has the nerve to put up a mirror to the electorate's face.

It looks like most Americans are a lot more intellectually honest than some of the righties on this board.

Americans say Bush still more to blame than Obama for economy

More than two-thirds of Americans&#8212;including half of Republicans&#8212;still blame former President George W. Bush for the country's economic ills, according to a new Gallup poll released on Thursday, hours before President Barack Obama was to deliver a high-stakes speech defending his handling of the weak economy.

Looks like reality is kicking in...

What one might call the blame gap has narrowed considerably: When Gallup first asked Americans in July 2009 whom they blamed for the poor economy, 80 percent laid a great deal or a moderate amount of blame on Bush, and only 32 percent blamed Obama. The current numbers show 68 percent of the public blames the former president while 52 percent say Obama deserves the blame.

Last edited:
Power was always in the hands of money, the worker is simply a tool, when needed fine, when not required, discarded. Oddly even given income inequality today, big money has enlisted the littler money as foils in their effort to keep the worker insecure and afraid.

"Income inequality is an international trend but it’s worst in the United States. The level of inequality is higher in the United States than in most comparable countries. Inequality is also accelerating faster than in most comparable countries. So inequality is worse in the United States by just about every measure. But, importantly, while income inequality is a global trend, it is not a universal trend. There are certain countries where incomes are actually growing more equal. Until pretty recently France was one such country. A report that came out since my book went to press says inequality has been rising in France. The trend over the last three decades is still more or less flat in many countries. In Latin America, a place that’s long been known for its high level of income inequality, we’ve actually seen movement towards greater income equality. So while much of the Americas are moving in the right direction, the United States is moving in the wrong direction." Timothy Noah on The Inequality Crisis | FiveBooks | The Browser

"Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control. ¶ Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection." Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Power was always in the hands of money, the worker is simply a tool, when needed fine, when not required, discarded. Oddly even given income inequality today, big money has enlisted the littler money as foils in their effort to keep the worker insecure and afraid.

"Income inequality is an international trend but it’s worst in the United States. The level of inequality is higher in the United States than in most comparable countries. Inequality is also accelerating faster than in most comparable countries. So inequality is worse in the United States by just about every measure. But, importantly, while income inequality is a global trend, it is not a universal trend. There are certain countries where incomes are actually growing more equal. Until pretty recently France was one such country. A report that came out since my book went to press says inequality has been rising in France. The trend over the last three decades is still more or less flat in many countries. In Latin America, a place that’s long been known for its high level of income inequality, we’ve actually seen movement towards greater income equality. So while much of the Americas are moving in the right direction, the United States is moving in the wrong direction." Timothy Noah on The Inequality Crisis | FiveBooks | The Browser

"Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control. ¶ Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection." Universal Declaration of Human Rights

do you get everything from the communist?

It's an absurd question, anyway.

Our current situation has been created by decades of brain-dead borrowing by both the federal government and the individual consumer. Short-sighted, me-first, I want it now thinking that has finally caught up to us.

A more appropriate question might be, "which President has done more to challenge Americans to stop being stupid with money?" -- and both Bush and Obama have failed at that. No politician has the nerve to put up a mirror to the electorate's face.

Bingo. Good points and I agree.

Anybody BLAMING the state of the economy entirely on one POTUS or the other is either a clueless nitwit who doesn't know jackshit about the meltdown, or a partisan liar.

Most say Bush to blame for weak U.S. economy, poll finds

Independent voters, who could play a critical role in the November election, were more likely to blame Bush (67 percent) than Obama (51 percent). Fewer independents blamed Obama than Gallup's last results in September, when 60 percent pointed to him, the poll found.

Many Americans are still struggling to recover financially from the nation's deepest recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s, and Obama is trying to regroup after recent setbacks, including an anemic May jobs report.

"Americans continue to place more blame for the nation's economic problems on George W. Bush than on Barack Obama, even though Bush left office more than three years ago," Gallup said. "... This suggests that Obama's argument that he is on the right track and needs more time to turn the economy around could fall on receptive ears, particularly those of independents."

Bush, who served two four-year terms as president, has been unable to shake the blame since Gallup began tracking the economic finger-pointing in 2009, and has seen about 70 percent of those polled holding him responsible since mid-2010.

Most say Bush to blame for weak U.S. economy, poll finds | Reuters

Also, Chuck Todd and Joe Scarborough were talking about polling in Ohio showing Obama so far ahead of Romney. Obama people were creating scenarios showing Obama winning without Ohio because they thought he wouldn't be able to win it.

Things change..

it looks like what's more important is who's to blame to take the heat off Obama and his clown administration

It looks like most Americans are a lot more intellectually honest than some of the righties on this board.

More than two-thirds of Americans—including half of Republicans—still blame former President George W. Bush for the country's economic ills, according to a new Gallup poll released on Thursday, hours before President Barack Obama was to deliver a high-stakes speech defending his handling of the weak economy.

certainly more honest than you.

As always with polls---the devil is in the details of the question. Clearly US economic collapse predated the Obama Presidency. The real question would be to ask if Obama has been effective in working toward recovery. As to the root cause of the mortgage related economic collapse---the line of responsibility stretches back to Jimmy Carter and the CRA, Clinton and repeal of Glass Steagall, and the symbiotic efforts of the progressive left in concert with powerful Democrats in Congress that prevented dealing with the problem before it exploded into the current crisis. As is usually the case, the principals involved are skating away from responsibility---Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Chuck Schumer, Robert Rubin, and union enablers who supplied the muscle to intimidate Banks and other lending institutions into offering sub-prime mortgages as the price of doing business.

About half of Republicans blame Bush
by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- Americans continue to place more blame for the nation's economic problems on George W. Bush than on Barack Obama, even though Bush left office more than three years ago. The relative economic blame given to Bush versus Obama today is virtually the same as it was last September.
<more>

tsquare.gif

Because 3 years of 'on the job training' hasn't helped.

I wonder where you could get that sticker?

I bet you need to make a $10 contribution to the GOP.

I would have to disagree with that.............

The majority of our population are not political junkies who analyze every president's style of governing. In short, the majority would really have no clue what "reaganomics" means. Nor do they care. They do not tend to make their choice based on whether a candidate is or is not "like" someone else. The majority tend to be handle pullers.

More than two-thirds of Americans—including half of Republicans—still blame former President George W. Bush for the country's economic ills, according to a new Gallup poll released on Thursday, hours before President Barack Obama was to deliver a high-stakes speech defending his handling of the weak economy.

Looks like reality is kicking in...

What one might call the blame gap has narrowed considerably: When Gallup first asked Americans in July 2009 whom they blamed for the poor economy, 80 percent laid a great deal or a moderate amount of blame on Bush, and only 32 percent blamed Obama. The current numbers show 68 percent of the public blames the former president while 52 percent say Obama deserves the blame.

80 + 32 = 112%

68 + 52 = 120%

And those do appear to be mutually exclusive categories.

Most American's have to believe what they are told. They don't have time for, or interest in the details.

Deflection noted. :lol:
Only if you consider truth a deflection the truth is Bush is not on the ballot Obama is. Trying somehow to make the 2012 election about Bush now that's a deflection.

Your deflection lies in the fact that claims of Obama ruining the economy doesn't mesh with the majority of voters. Now you are pretending that the stat of the econmy and who's to blame is no big deal. Thats the deflection.
Where did I say Obama ruined the economy? Allow me I didn't again I stated that Obama is on the ballot Bush is not that is not a claim that Obama ruined the economy just a simple truthful fact. I am not pretending anything about the economy Bush did his share of damage and most of Obama's policies have done their fair share of damage as well another truthful fact. People can debate on who has done more damage if they want to but come November the vast majority will be voting on what Obama has done not what Bush did no deflection just the truth.

Forum List

Back