Affirmative Action sabotages black people!

While I agree with you and understand where you're coming from, it's important to remember that slavery was only abolished five generations ago and that blacks had nothing to start with at that point. Whites were essentially given a head start in creating a good life for themselves, thus I understand the need to help blacks get on their feet so that they could make something of themselves. The question really is 'When do we stop affirmative action?' In other words, when will blacks have been given enough help to where they should be on par with white people as far as jobs and income go?

As far as affirmative action for other races, I see no basis for that whatsoever, especially if they broke the law and came here illegally. America has never enslaved the entire population of latinos, asians, etc. If latinos, for example, choose to learn English and come here legally, they wouldn't need affirmative action. Instead, they choose to come here without assimilating any and then expect a handout for because of their incompetence with technology, language, etc.

First, America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.
you ought to go down on your knees and thank God your an American.

Affirmative action helps Blacks by keeping whites from getting preferential treatment on the basis of skin color. It helps women by keeping men from getting preferential treatment on the basis of sex. Affirmative action doesn't eliminate discrimination, but it does attenuate it and therefore help create a level playing field.

As for the issue of Obama's election, Kwame Ture correctly said, "Black visibility does not automatically equal Black power." If there is one token Black in a position of responsibility, certainly that is a by-product of the weakening of racism, but it is not a guarantee that the pervasive systemic disparities in access to education, housing, jobs, and justice have come to an end--any more than the accession of Elizabeth I to the throne meant that men and women had complete social equality in 16th-century England.

Not really.

I don't think it actually helped very many minorities though.

It definitely did help affluent white women a lot though.

Just look at the plummeting rates of Black and Latino enrollment in California colleges after Proposition 209 passed.

Forum List

Back