Adobe Acrobat ????

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I am running into a problem with an increasing number of things I attempt to read on line. I get a message telling me the item cannot be read, usually a PDF file, with my current version of Acrobat. When I looked up Adobe Acrobat hoping to find a free update or at least an inexpensive one I find that the price of Version 9 is hundreds of dollars!

Is anyone else having this problem?

I did come across a number of offers for a free download of Version 9 but I won't take a chance because I've been warned that these free software offers are often invitations to download malicious viruses.

Are you looking at simply reading pdf files, from browser, etc? And run a windows based PC?

If so, I would try Foxit Reader. The free version will work faster with far less memory usage. You can also save the file to your desktop and try to read it from there.

Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows

I would remove adobe reader and reboot first before installing foxit.

If you are wanting to edit, well then Foxit can do that with the editor but that costs. Just like Adobe, but it's far faster than Adobe and uses less memory to cache.

I am running into a problem with an increasing number of things I attempt to read on line. I get a message telling me the item cannot be read, usually a PDF file, with my current version of Acrobat. When I looked up Adobe Acrobat hoping to find a free update or at least an inexpensive one I find that the price of Version 9 is hundreds of dollars!

Is anyone else having this problem?

I did come across a number of offers for a free download of Version 9 but I won't take a chance because I've been warned that these free software offers are often invitations to download malicious viruses.
Depends on where you're downloading from and in the case of Adobe, mostly yes.

CNet checks to make sure the programs are virus free so you're pretty safe downloading from them. The key is download, save to file then scan the download before you open it.
Also If you're browsing with Firefox install the add on WOT (Web of Trust), it will tell you if the site you want to visit is an attack site or not.
Here is a list of PDF programs including the one Ropey mentioned.

pdf downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET

I have the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat and what I get is a message saying the damned thing is crashed.

What version of Windows do you have, what model is your computer, and how much memory does it have?

I'm partial to Ciitabria Aerobat. :D

citabria_inverted.jpg

Forum List

Back