ACLU sues for students to wear anti-Islam shirts in Florida schools

The ACLU used to only be anti-Christian, just like most liberals. Then Muslims started beheading infidels and they realized they had to do something or lose what little credibility they still had. So they came up with the idea that all religions are bad, not just Christianity. Ten years ago, this would not have happened.

I'll stipulate to your stupidity. There's no need for you to continue to make the case for it.

The ACLU is anti-religion. That is the topic.
actually they are not, if some people would do a little research and think for themselves they would realize that.
In February 1996, the ACLU filed suit in federal court in Alabama claiming two school districts engaged in unconstitutional religious practices. In October 1997, U.S. District Court Judge Ira DeMent issued a permanent injunction forbidding the DeKalb County schools from engaging in various religious activities. The injunction also ordered school officials to stop students from engaging in certain religious speech. The later part of the injunction went too far, a federal appeals court ruled in response to an ACLJ appeal.​
One of the compromises that was suggested to the ACLU was the creation of a "free speech zone." This would be an area outside most government control where citizens could put up holiday displays of their own choosing. The ACLU was dead set against this idea. Their rationale? Citizens would use their free expression to support Christmas. The "defenders" of the Bill of Rights stood against free speech.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon, which has long supported [the law that bans teachers from wearing religious garb], said the Legislature should not end it without enacting additional protections for Oregon students. The Oregon Education Association has not taken a position on the issue, a spokeswoman said.
So a student can wear an anti Islamic T-shirt but a teacher who is a Nun can't wear a habit or a Muslim teacher can't wear a headscarf or a Sikh a turban...that makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
actually they are not, if some people would do a little research and think for themselves they would realize that.

In February 1996, the ACLU filed suit in federal court in Alabama claiming two school districts engaged in unconstitutional religious practices. In October 1997, U.S. District Court Judge Ira DeMent issued a permanent injunction forbidding the DeKalb County schools from engaging in various religious activities. The injunction also ordered school officials to stop students from engaging in certain religious speech. The later part of the injunction went too far, a federal appeals court ruled in response to an ACLJ appeal.​
One of the compromises that was suggested to the ACLU was the creation of a "free speech zone." This would be an area outside most government control where citizens could put up holiday displays of their own choosing. The ACLU was dead set against this idea. Their rationale? Citizens would use their free expression to support Christmas. The "defenders" of the Bill of Rights stood against free speech.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon, which has long supported the law that bans teachers from wearing religious garb, said the Legislature should not end it without enacting additional protections for Oregon students. The Oregon Education Association has not taken a position on the issue, a spokeswoman said.

So a student can wear an anti Islamic T-shirt but a teacher who is a Nun can't wear a habit...that makes perfect sense.

well you are talking about the biggest anti american group on the planet,, you cannot expect them to make sense.

Wow, are you two serious with the going back & forth on eachother or is this an inside joke? Especially in this topic?

How about we say the ACLU is just scattered all over the place.

Wow, are you two serious with the going back & forth on eachother or is this an inside joke? Especially in this topic?

How about we say the ACLU is just scattered all over the place.

he believes in censorship out of one side of his mouth and supports the aclu out of the other,, see the irony there? :cuckoo:

The American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon, which has long supported [the law that bans teachers from wearing religious garb], said the Legislature should not end it without enacting additional protections for Oregon students. The Oregon Education Association has not taken a position on the issue, a spokeswoman said.
So a student can wear an anti Islamic T-shirt but a teacher who is a Nun can't wear a habit or a Muslim teacher can't wear a headscarf or a Sikh a turban...that makes perfect sense.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...am-shirts-in-florida-schools.html#post1754098

this is my post where I posted links where the ACLU files lawsuits on behalf of christians.
They are about protecting people's free speech no matter their religious beliefs. I don't have time to find the link right now but you can google it, but they also filed a lawsuit on behalf of gun owners in Texas. So like I said do some research.

ACLU sues for students... 11-26-2009 11:07 PM WillowTree you have a problem with my free speech and the use of asswipe doya?

Just trying to keep things civil. It is my opinion talk radio since the Rush Revolution has soo negatively influenced our ability to converse. We have to be civil or else it becomes even more difficult to change the opposing view's opinion.

Thoughts?
They can't think while their heads are exploding.

WOW! You mean the ACLU is anti-religion...never saw that coming. :rolleyes:

has nothing to do with hating religion. the ACLU acts to defend free speech. the reality is that if speech is popular, no one will try to squelch it. it's only reprehensible or controversal speech that is ever in jeopardy.

and no matter how many times that's been explained to the fanatics on the right, they keep insisting that the ACLU defends "liberal" causes. I'd think the actual point is that they defended right wingers...like they have before.

just sayin.

happy thanksgiving, Missouri guy. ;)

Incoming! Ferriner opinion!

I thought the ACLU was about protecting the constitution. This looks like a First Amendment issue. Religion and the state is another constitutional issue isn't it?

So it's not inconsistent for the ACLU to go to bat to support these brats, sorry, these students and their right to freedom of expression and yet in another instance support the issue of the state and religion (all I know is that it apparently is a stricture against a state religion but I think it's been interpreted a bit more broadly now).

Didn't the ACLU go in to bat the Nazis in Skokie, Ill.?

Whoops. Freudian typo - didn't the ACLU go in to bat FOR the Nazis in Skokie? :redface:

(Look it's not me, I just happen to have a leftist keyboard, okay?)

ACLU sues for students... 11-26-2009 11:07 PM WillowTree you have a problem with my free speech and the use of asswipe doya?

Just trying to keep things civil. It is my opinion talk radio since the Rush Revolution has soo negatively influenced our ability to converse. We have to be civil or else it becomes even more difficult to change the opposing view's opinion.

It has nothing to do with Rush. New to the board? Go back and do some reading,, you will see which side talks the filthiest. Asswipe is very mild I can tell ya. It ain't Rushs fault either .

It has nothing to do with Rush. New to the board? Go back and do some reading,, you will see which side talks the filthiest. Asswipe is very mild I can tell ya. It ain't Rushs fault either .

who talks the filthiest?

the others?

Forum List

Back