A Young Woman Stoned for Adultery

If the stoning was "not of god" why is that form of punishment prescribed for so many offenses in the Bible? It seems that particular punishment is justified in all 3 major monotheistic religions.

"...of god" ???? well-----actually it does not say that it is "of god" in the OT, NT,
or koran. When death is prescribed by heaven -----people are supposed to just
drop dead (or get very sick or get hit with lightening) At least that is the OT form
of execution "of G-d" In the stone age------stones were just about all they had
for a court decree. Lethal injection has not yet been invented
I was quoting the op-ed. Judaism, Christianity, nor Islam were around in the Stone Age either. Did you mean Bronze Age? Regardless, people still had weapons other than stones. Maybe the stones were more convenient. It seems to me that stoning is a cultural practice that was incorporated into these religions as a means of being relevant to the culture. I believe it's called syncretism.

If the stoning was "not of god" why is that form of punishment prescribed for so many offenses in the Bible? It seems that particular punishment is justified in all 3 major monotheistic religions.

"...of god" ???? well-----actually it does not say that it is "of god" in the OT, NT,
or koran. When death is prescribed by heaven -----people are supposed to just
drop dead (or get very sick or get hit with lightening) At least that is the OT form
of execution "of G-d" In the stone age------stones were just about all they had
for a court decree. Lethal injection has not yet been invented
I was quoting the op-ed. Judaism, Christianity, nor Islam were around in the Stone Age either. Did you mean Bronze Age? Regardless, people still had weapons other than stones. Maybe the stones were more convenient. It seems to me that stoning is a cultural practice that was incorporated into these religions as a means of being relevant to the culture. I believe it's called syncretism.

no----I meant stone age. Even in the Bronze age----stones were cheaper and
available. In the bronze age----Bronze was a big deal. Strangulation is also
mentioned in the Talmud. I am not sure how it was done or if it was done.
I am not sure that 'syncretism' fits the situation. I think syncretism is used to describe a merging of ideas ------elegant stuff-----I would assume that fusion
cuisine can be described as syncretism--------Korean flavored tacos. How
to kill a person seems to me to not be an activity MERGEABLE. Systems
of Jurisprudence could be mergeable My impression is that shariah jurisprudence is a syncresis of the code of hummarabi, some tribal stuff in ancient
arabia and bits and pieces of judeo/Christian stuff

you made no point at all other than making a fool of yourself by INSISTING----
' if muhummad did not invent stoning people, then it is not part of shariah law

You really want to play this degree of stupid?
I said no such things. I said, since we can prove honor killing (and specifically stoning as well) existed long before Islam did --- then it cannot be described as "Islamic". Mohammad's birth date is simply a convenient time marker to prove that, because since he invented Islam, before him there is no Islam, therefore nothing before him is "Islamic". It isn't even fucking RELIGIOUS -- Islam or any other.

And no it's not part of "Sharia". That was established way backthread. Requoting from post 18:

There is no mention of honour killing in the Quran or Hadiths. Honour killing, in Islamic definitions, refers specifically to extra-legal punishment by the family against a woman, and is forbidden by the Sharia (Islamic law). Religious authorities disagree with extra punishments such as honour killing and prohibit it, so the practice of it is a cultural and not a religious issue. However, since Islam has influence over vast numbers of Muslims in many countries and from many cultures, some use Islam to justify honour killing even though there is no support for honour killing in Islam. (post 18, op cit)​

Now, one can argue that governments of Islamic countries don't do enough to quell this (and other) violence against women, but that's government, not religion, and India -- a country where along with Pakistan, HBV takes place more than any other country, has the same complaint (also linked earlier here). India clearly has no "Sharia law" and its HBV occurrences manifest primarily in Hindu and Sikh communities -- two religions that have nothing to do with Islam -- and which also prohibit the practice. But it cannot be described as a "Hindu" or "Sikh" practice either because once again --- it's not related to religion. It's related to social structure.

There's far more to humans that what their religion is. Just because some culture employs some practice, and that same culture also largely practices "Religion X", does not make the latter the origin of the former. Take a contemporary American problem, let's say mass shootings: If the US is a predominantly Christian (or Judeo-Christian) country, are we to conclude that "mass shooting is prescribed by Christian Law?

Same thing.

As for whatever leeway might be given the populace by those Islamic governments -- that's based not on Sharia but on Napoleonic Codes:

>> With the exception of Iran, laws which allow for ‘honour’ killing are not derived from Islamic precepts, but from the penal codes of the Napoleonic Empire which legislated for crimes of ‘passion.’ Such laws have come under sustained opposition from women’s rights activists leading to some reforms: the Kurdistan Region of Iraq removed the provision for lighter sentencing for killers with ‘honourable’ motives in 2002 – although it remains in force in the rest of Iraq; Syria has recently increased the minimum sentence for an ‘honour’ killer from one year to two; and Palestine has recently removed the provision which it inherited from Jordanian law in the face of a particularly gruesome high-profile murder. However, such changes have limited applicability where these are not followed through by the criminal justice system, which may still tend to overlook murders and excuse their perpetrators. The availability of reduced sentencing causes murders which had financial or other motives to be represented as related to ‘honour’ so that the perpetrators of unrelated crimes can benefit from the reduced sentencing applied to ‘honour’. << --- HBV Awareness.com

Maybe the stones were more convenient. It seems to me that stoning is a cultural practice that was incorporated into these religions as a means of being relevant to the culture.

Something like that -- it was a cultural practice already extant, but it's not a religious practice anyway, so it wasn't incorporated into any religion --- it simply predated the various religions (Islam, Judaism, Christianism, Hinduism, Sikhism) and continued in spite of them. And by "it" I'm still talking "honor" based violence (HBV) whether by stoning or other means.
But as it's not a practice OF any of these religions and it simply practiced in spite of them (they all prohibit it) ---- it's not a practice related to religion anyway.

What these morons are doing is taking two things that exist simultaneously among the same peoples and dishonestly concluding that one is the cause of the other. Like saying Christianity invented the Easter bunny. They completely ignore (because it's inconvenient to their bigotry) that HBV was already around long before the religions, and would have us pretend that Tuesday follows Thursday, as it were.

Last edited:

I said no such things. I said, since we can prove honor killing (and specifically stoning as well) existed long before Islam did --- then it cannot be described as "Islamic". Mohammad's birth date is simply a convenient time marker to prove that, because since he invented Islam, before him there is no Islam, therefore nothing before him is "Islamic". It isn't even fucking RELIGIOUS -- Islam or any other.

And no it's not part of "Sharia". That was established way backthread. Requoting from post 18:

There is no mention of honour killing in the Quran or Hadiths. Honour killing, in Islamic definitions, refers specifically to extra-legal punishment by the family against a woman, and is forbidden by the Sharia (Islamic law). Religious authorities disagree with extra punishments such as honour killing and prohibit it, so the practice of it is a cultural and not a religious issue. However, since Islam has influence over vast numbers of Muslims in many countries and from many cultures, some use Islam to justify honour killing even though there is no support for honour killing in Islam. (op cit)​

Maybe the stones were more convenient. It seems to me that stoning is a cultural practice that was incorporated into these religions as a means of being relevant to the culture.

Something like that -- it was a cultural practice already extant, but it's not a religious practice anyway, so it simply predated the various religions (Islam, Judaism, Christianism, Hinduism, Sikhism) and continued in spite of them. And by "it" I'm still talking "honor" based violence (HBV) whether by stoning or other means.
But as it's not a practice OF any of these religions and it simply practiced in spite of them (they all prohibit it) ---- it's not a practice related to religion anyway.

What these morons are doing is taking two things that exist simultaneously among the same peoples and dishonestly concluding that one is the cause of the other. Like saying Christianity invented the Easter bunny. They completely ignore (because it's inconvenient to their bigotry) that HBV was already around long before the religions, and would have us pretend that Tuesday follows Thursday, as it were.

Pogo lied again-----I did not mention HONOR KILLING at all-----I discussed
"stoning" as a means of execution. Got a link to my use of "Honor Killing"----
pogo, dear? Or more specifically to your allegation that I stated that shariah law includes comments on "honor killing". Nope ---not me. Nor did I deny
that honor killed was an Arabian custom even before muhummad was born.
His post is packed with false allegation which he HOPES bolsters his very
silly notion that any custom that precedes the inception of a religion-----is not
PART of the jusrisprudence of that religion --------it must be termed
"SIMPLY CULTURAL" For the record----both male and female circumcision
preceded Abraham-----thus according to Pogo----neither form has anything to
do with either islam or Judaism. Bagels were not invented by jews----but
somehow got incorporated into the breakfast parties that are part of
lots of circumcision celebrations--------even those involving jews who never
saw a bagel till they got to the USA or Israel. Pizza is not part of the cusoms
of USA college life------because------I thing---maybe----it was invented in
?? NAPOLI ?? It gets worse-----the USA has no system of jurisprudence since
virtually all of its elements can be found in English common law and ----the bible

There is no mention of honour killing in the Quran or Hadiths. Honour killing, in Islamic definitions, refers specifically to extra-legal punishment by the family against a woman, and is forbidden by the Sharia (Islamic law). Religious authorities disagree with extra punishments such as honour killing and prohibit it, so the practice of it is a cultural and not a religious issue. However, since Islam has influence over vast numbers of Muslims in many countries and from many cultures, some use Islam to justify honour killing even though there is no support for honour killing in Islam. (post 18, op cit)​

Now, one can argue that governments of Islamic countries don't do enough to quell this (and other) violence against women, but that's government, not religion, and India -- a country where along with Pakistan, HBV takes place more than any other country, has the same complaint (also linked earlier here). India clearly has no "Sharia law" and its HBV occurrences manifest primarily in Hindu and Sikh communities -- two religions that have nothing to do with Islam -- and which also prohibit the practice. But it cannot be described as a "Hindu" or "Sikh" practice either because once again --- it's not related to religion. It's related to social structure.

There's far more to humans that what their religion is. Just because some culture employs some practice, and that same culture also largely practices "Religion X", does not make the latter the origin of the former. Take a contemporary American problem, let's say mass shootings: If the US is a predominantly Christian (or Judeo-Christian) country, are we to conclude that "mass shooting is prescribed by Christian Law?

Same thing.

As for whatever leeway might be given the populace by those Islamic governments -- that's based not on Sharia but on Napoleonic Codes:

>> With the exception of Iran, laws which allow for ‘honour’ killing are not derived from Islamic precepts, but from the penal codes of the Napoleonic Empire which legislated for crimes of ‘passion.’ Such laws have come under sustained opposition from women’s rights activists leading to some reforms: the Kurdistan Region of Iraq removed the provision for lighter sentencing for killers with ‘honourable’ motives in 2002 – although it remains in force in the rest of Iraq; Syria has recently increased the minimum sentence for an ‘honour’ killer from one year to two; and Palestine has recently removed the provision which it inherited from Jordanian law in the face of a particularly gruesome high-profile murder. However, such changes have limited applicability where these are not followed through by the criminal justice system, which may still tend to overlook murders and excuse their perpetrators. The availability of reduced sentencing causes murders which had financial or other motives to be represented as related to ‘honour’ so that the perpetrators of unrelated crimes can benefit from the reduced sentencing applied to ‘honour’. << --- HBV Awareness.com

Something like that -- it was a cultural practice already extant, but it's not a religious practice anyway, so it wasn't incorporated into any religion --- it simply predated the various religions (Islam, Judaism, Christianism, Hinduism, Sikhism) and continued in spite of them. And by "it" I'm still talking "honor" based violence (HBV) whether by stoning or other means.

Nice bit of sophistry from your apologist site--------I did not mention honor
killing at all. I discussed STONING as a means of execution. Execution of
"adulterers"-----mode determined by court is very much part of shariah law-----
the divine and eternal legal code of islam

There is no mention of honour killing in the Quran or Hadiths. Honour killing, in Islamic definitions, refers specifically to extra-legal punishment by the family against a woman, and is forbidden by the Sharia (Islamic law). Religious authorities disagree with extra punishments such as honour killing and prohibit it, so the practice of it is a cultural and not a religious issue. However, since Islam has influence over vast numbers of Muslims in many countries and from many cultures, some use Islam to justify honour killing even though there is no support for honour killing in Islam. (op cit)​

Something like that -- it was a cultural practice already extant, but it's not a religious practice anyway, so it simply predated the various religions (Islam, Judaism, Christianism, Hinduism, Sikhism) and continued in spite of them. And by "it" I'm still talking "honor" based violence (HBV) whether by stoning or other means.

pogo, dear? Or more specifically to your allegation that I stated that shariah law includes comments on "honor killing". Nope ---not me. Nor did I deny
silly notion that any custom that precedes the inception of a religion-----is not
virtually all of its elements can be found in English common law and ----the bible

No you didn't --- >>> *** I *** <<< brought up "honor killing", and I did that before we even had the link to this event since that's what the scant description smelled like, and when the link finally came, I was right.

I'm also aware that you're constantly trying to shift all this off to the specific practice of stoning, but that matters not a whit, as I've already demonstrated, directly from the bible story, that stoning is ALSO older than Islam. I take it you've given up the focus of HBV and that's why you want us all to look at the shiny object of stoning specifically. Presumably your point is that they can kill this young woman if they like but stoning is the wrong way to do it? Whatever, doesn't matter. Nobody tried to make the point that "stoning is Islamic", so that's not what I was refuting.

It might be instructive here to point out that of the 20 people executed by a vigilante-mob mentality in Salem Massachusetts, the one victim that was not hanged was what they called "pressed to death" -- had a huge rock placed over him big enough that he couldn't move, and then more rocks piled on until he expired, which took two days. Kind of a stoning in slow motion.

And without looking this up, I kinda tend to believe the vigilante freaks at Salem --- were not Muslims either.

Execution of "adulterers"-----mode determined by court is very much part of shariah law---- the divine and eternal legal code of islam

Again, bullshit. Again already debunked twice. You don't get to revise history by just hitting the "post" button on a message board. I've given links. You and your ilk have given nothing but empty claims. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Bupkis.

Last edited:

No you didn't --- >>> *** I *** <<< brought up "honor killing", and I did that before we even had the link to this event since that's what the scant description smelled like, and when the link finally came, I was right.

I'm also aware that you're constantly trying to shift all this off to the specific practice of stoning, but that matters not a whit, as I've already demonstrated, directly from the bible story, that stoning is older than Islam.

It might be instructive here to point out that of the 20 people executed by a vigilante-mob mentality in Salem Massachusetts, the one victim that was not hanged was what they called "pressed to death" -- had a huge rock placed over him big enough that he couldn't move, and then more rocks piled on until he expired, which took several days. Kind of a stoning in slow motion.

the salem witch trials were not conducted by vigilantes-----people are executed
for witch craft in shariah law too. The link did not "smell" like "honor killing" ---to me -------it smelled like typical extant shariah law-------stoning for adultery----an idea which you decided is not SHARIAH LAW because adultery is a crime in many systems that precede islam. It was a crime even thousands of years ago in
ancient greek law

Kinda curious how Christians so readily condemn non-Christians for their handling of adultery when...

"The United States is one of few industrialized countries to have laws criminalizing adultery.[133] In the United States, laws vary from state to state.

Adultery remains a criminal offense in 21 states, although prosecutions are rare.[141][142] Massachusetts, Idaho, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin consider adultery a felony, while in the other states it is a misdemeanor. It is a Class B misdemeanor in New York[143] and Utah, and a Class I felony in Wisconsin.[144] Penalties vary from a $10 fine (Maryland)[145] to four years in prison (Michigan).[146] In South Carolina, the fine for adultery is up to $500 and/or imprisonment for no more than one year [South Carolina code 16-15-60], and South Carolina divorce laws deny alimony to the adulterous spouse.[147][148][149]"

and

"Christianity[edit]

The Hebrew Bible prohibits adultery in the Seventh Commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." (Exodus 20:12). Leviticus 20:10 prescribes capital punishment for adultery between a man and married woman:

And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."

So are Christians or Americans really in any position to object what Muslims do in Muslim countries?

Kinda curious how Christians so readily condemn non-Christians for their handling of adultery when...

"The United States is one of few industrialized countries to have laws criminalizing adultery.[133] In the United States, laws vary from state to state.

Adultery remains a criminal offense in 21 states, although prosecutions are rare.[141][142] Massachusetts, Idaho, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin consider adultery a felony, while in the other states it is a misdemeanor. It is a Class B misdemeanor in New York[143] and Utah, and a Class I felony in Wisconsin.[144] Penalties vary from a $10 fine (Maryland)[145] to four years in prison (Michigan).[146] In South Carolina, the fine for adultery is up to $500 and/or imprisonment for no more than one year [South Carolina code 16-15-60], and South Carolina divorce laws deny alimony to the adulterous spouse.[147][148][149]"

and

"Christianity[edit]

The Hebrew Bible prohibits adultery in the Seventh Commandment, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." (Exodus 20:12). Leviticus 20:10 prescribes capital punishment for adultery between a man and married woman:

And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."

So are Christians or Americans really in any position to object what Muslims do in Muslim countries?

I am an American----I am prepared to condemn anything I damn please.
In fact------I do not know the details of the case of the young girl in Iran
who "committed adultery" Adultery is defined in a myriad of DIFFERENT
ways in different systems.

It's kind of unfair to post an alleged story and picture that has no link at all. How do we know you didn't just make this up?

This is a trivial point (designed to dodge the issue) given that this is a consistent reality in the Middle East.

And you Wingnuts wouldn't care about what is going on in the Middle East if they were standing on top of a bunch of oil.

"Why you mean old misogynstic people, you clearly don't deserve to have that oil your country is on top of."

and

"Christianity[edit]

Do Christians in America do this? No, they do not. :cuckoo:

and

"Christianity[edit]

"Their punishment included an immediate severe whipping at the public post in Plymouth, a second whipping at the public post in Yarmouth (where the act was committed), and the wearing of "two letters, namely, an AD, for Adulterers, daily, vpon the outside of their vppermost garment, in a most emenent place thereof" for as long as they remain in the colony (PCR 2:28). Failure to wear the letters would result in another whipping. This is the only case in which both parties receive identical punishments."

"The law of Plymouth Colony set forth a very high standard of ideal sexual conduct -- one might say it was an ideal adopted from the laws of their God. Sodomy, rape, buggery, and adultery (for a time) were all crimes punishable by death. Fornication and other lascivious acts outside of marriage were strictly forbidden. However, when faced with a capital crime, the court avoided execution in all but one case."

Sexual Misconduct in Plymouth Colony

and

"Christianity[edit]

"Their punishment included an immediate severe whipping at the public post in Plymouth, a second whipping at the public post in Yarmouth (where the act was committed), and the wearing of "two letters, namely, an AD, for Adulterers, daily, vpon the outside of their vppermost garment, in a most emenent place thereof" for as long as they remain in the colony (PCR 2:28). Failure to wear the letters would result in another whipping. This is the only case in which both parties receive identical punishments."

"The law of Plymouth Colony set forth a very high standard of ideal sexual conduct -- one might say it was an ideal adopted from the laws of their God. Sodomy, rape, buggery, and adultery (for a time) were all crimes punishable by death. Fornication and other lascivious acts outside of marriage were strictly forbidden. However, when faced with a capital crime, the court avoided execution in all but one case."

Sexual Misconduct in Plymouth Colony

Do they do that in America? No, they don't. Why are you complaining about something that doesn't happen?

and

"Christianity[edit]

Spitting on the sidewalk is a crime too in many places IIRC and like adultery is not prosecuted. Stoning would be considered cruel and unusual and would not happen.

Also, the US is secular, not a theocratic government.

and

"Christianity[edit]

Spitting on the sidewalk is a crime too in many places IIRC and like adultery is not prosecuted. Stoning would be considered cruel and unusual and would not happen.

Secular or theocratic is redundant due to a lot of overlap of religious and secular laws. Murder, theft, adultery are all religious laws originally.

Plus, come to think of it, AMerica despite being a 'secular nation' has had religious 'blue laws' on its books all along. Remember some stores would rope off their liquor aisles on Sunday for example.

and

"Christianity[edit]

Secular or theocratic is redundant due to a lot of overlap of religious and secular laws. Murder, theft, adultery are all religious laws originally.
Hardly, prove your point with citation.

and

"Christianity[edit]

google ten commandments artard. I don't need to cite proof the sky is blue.

and

"Christianity[edit]

google ten commandments artard. I don't need to cite proof the sky is blue.

So, you are complaining and comparing this event (in the OP) to American Christians? Seriously? What is wrong with you? That shit doesn't happen here in America, so I don't know what point you are even trying to make here?

Forum List

Back