A victory for Virginia women, "personhood" bill defeated

Abortion wars: Virginia retreats on invasive probe in ultrasound bill (+video) - CSMonitor.com

Check out these women from the Christian Science Monitor website video. Do these look like crazy deranged wild lesbians who want to murder children?

Republicans didn't say they will end the bill, only defer it until next year. When, they hope, we have a Republican president and can pass their extreme "anti women" agenda. Hope these women understand that. I think they probably do.

So the thousands of women that never got past their deaths in an abortion means nothing to you??

If anyone is anti women it would be YOU! So selfish and cold!

Republicans only want to get the kid born as punishment for those women for having sex and you know it. They don't care about women or those kids. They just like to "bully". Not something that can be denied.

Children arent a punishment. I feel sorry for any offspring you may ever have.

So the thousands of women that never got past their deaths in an abortion means nothing to you??

If anyone is anti women it would be YOU! So selfish and cold!

Republicans only want to get the kid born as punishment for those women for having sex and you know it. They don't care about women or those kids. They just like to "bully". Not something that can be denied.

LOL whats wrong with you?? Ok lets just say its so,but in your mind,killing the kid somhow make it ok out of spite? Or a way to deprive a republican his joy??

Alot of people have asked that question. Who knows what rdean's thought processes are?

Wow, but no innocent blood on hands for supporting the Iraq invasion?
Just collateral damages?

you couldn't get farther off topic could you?

Guilt for the blood of the unborn but not for the blood of the born on your hands if you supported the Iraq invasion?

Well give that man a ceeegar! By the way I have no guilt about ether,I didn't kill any of my kids,.and my thoughts on Iraq.

Sound like you do?

And still way off topic!

I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat. I see liberals all the time being vegetarians because they dont want to have animals killed for food but these same people have no problems killing a child in abortions. Once a person has a heartbeat they are alive!! So unless you have the abortion up to 12 days past conception your killing that child. They say things to down play it .. They have so many forms of birth control these days there is NO excuse for unplanned pregnancies. Abortion should not be a form of birth control. I only believe in them if you have been raped, the health of mother or the baby is going to die period!!

A transvaginal US is invasive. Other than that, this bill had larger problems. It's also ballot box poison which is why it is dead today.

BTW, this bill would have made IUDs, a type of BC, illegal.
I'm not aware that the bill did that.

According to the legislature, it does not say anything about making BC illegal, in fact it explicitly says that contraception is unaffected.

HOUSE BILL NO. 1
Offered January 11, 2012
Prefiled November 21, 2011
A BILL to construe the word "person" under Virginia law, including but not limited to § 8.01-50 of the Code of Virginia, to include unborn children.
----------
Patrons-- Marshall, R.G. and Cline; Senators: Colgan and Garrett
----------
Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. § 1. The life of each human being begins at conception.

§ 2. Unborn children have protectable interests in life, health, and well-being.

§ 3. The natural parents of unborn children have protectable interests in the life, health, and well-being of their unborn child.

§ 4. The laws of this Commonwealth shall be interpreted and construed to acknowledge on behalf of the unborn child at every stage of development all the rights, privileges, and immunities available to other persons, citizens, and residents of this Commonwealth, subject only to the Constitution of the United States and decisional interpretations thereof by the United States Supreme Court and specific provisions to the contrary in the statutes and constitution of this Commonwealth.

§ 5. As used in this section, the term "unborn children" or "unborn child" shall include any unborn child or children or the offspring of human beings from the moment of conception until birth at every stage of biological development.

§ 6. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as creating a cause of action against a woman for indirectly harming her unborn child by failing to properly care for herself or by failing to follow any particular program of prenatal care.

§ 7. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as affecting lawful assisted conception.(HB1)

(HB1)

AMENDMENT(S) PROPOSED BY THE HOUSE

DEL. WATTS [Passed by]

1. After line 26, introduced

insert

§ 8. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as affecting lawful contraception.
AMENDMENT(S) PROPOSED BY THE SENATE

EDUCATION AND HEALTH

1. Line 27, engrossed, at the beginning of the line

insert

§ 8. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as affecting lawful contraception.
ETA: Link: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+sum+HB1

Last edited:
I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat.

It required a transvaginal ultrasound, which is very much an invasive procedure. They took the legislation too far. This is yet more proof that conservatives are full of shit when they talk about respecting limited government and getting the government out of people's lives.

transvaginal ultrasound is less invasive then the abortion they are trying to get :cuckoo:

one is asked for. one is mandated by the government.

It required a transvaginal ultrasound, which is very much an invasive procedure. They took the legislation too far. This is yet more proof that conservatives are full of shit when they talk about respecting limited government and getting the government out of people's lives.

transvaginal ultrasound is less invasive then the abortion they are trying to get :cuckoo:

An abortion is mandated? That shit aint right.

I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat.

Doesn't matter. They aren't asking for the ultrasound and the government has no right to force it on them. You people all bitched about the government forcing Catholic charities to pay for contraception, and rightly so, but then you turn around and have no problem with them forcing an ultrasound up a woman's cooch. See the hypocrisy here?

Last edited:

Duh, exactly. You'd think that would be common sense.

A victory for Virginia women, "personhood" bill defeated

It’s a victory for all Virginians, and in a way for all Americans, when elected officials recognize their error and act accordingly.

No one ‘supports’ abortion, but conservatives support hypocrisy.

Neither of these things are true.

Of course they are.

I know of no one who ‘supports’ abortion, I certainty don’t.

The disagreement isn’t over abortion, the disagreement concerns the solution.

As an opponent of abortion, I reject the conservative ‘solution’ as it clearly won’t work, even not taking into consideration its un-Constitutional nature.

As for conservative hypocrisy, it’s everywhere you look: conservatives oppose the ‘made up’ right of privacy, but support the ‘made up’ right of self-defense and the individual right to own a handgun.

The right needs to realize the Constitution isn’t a cafeteria plan – you can’t pick out only what you like, and disregard the rest.

In a stunning turn of events, the Virginia Senate has voted 24-14 to scuttle a bill that would have given fertilized eggs the same legal rights as people.

Sen. Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax, proposed that House Bill 1, which had passed the Senate Education and Health Committee earlier today on an 8-7 party line vote, be sent back to the committee and carried over to the 2013 legislative session for further discussion and deliberation.

Then Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., R-James City, the Republican leader of the Senate, rose to support the motion, saying that the issues raised by the bill are more complex and far-reaching than previously thought and merit further study.

The vote effectively kills the bill for the year.

UPDATE: State Senate scuttles 'personhood' bill | GoDanRiver.com

Were all really happy that what you do with your vagina is your choice.......

Forum List

Back