A victory for Virginia women, "personhood" bill defeated

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chris, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    In a stunning turn of events, the Virginia Senate has voted 24-14 to scuttle a bill that would have given fertilized eggs the same legal rights as people.

Sen. Richard L. Saslaw, D-Fairfax, proposed that House Bill 1, which had passed the Senate Education and Health Committee earlier today on an 8-7 party line vote, be sent back to the committee and carried over to the 2013 legislative session for further discussion and deliberation.

Then Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., R-James City, the Republican leader of the Senate, rose to support the motion, saying that the issues raised by the bill are more complex and far-reaching than previously thought and merit further study.

The vote effectively kills the bill for the year.

UPDATE: State Senate scuttles 'personhood' bill | GoDanRiver.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Lovebears65

Lovebears65 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,043
    I laugh because they say getting a sonogram is invasive . I guess an abortion is not to them.. I think they should have to see that childs heartbeat. I see liberals all the time being vegetarians because they dont want to have animals killed for food but these same people have no problems killing a child in abortions. Once a person has a heartbeat they are alive!! So unless you have the abortion up to 12 days past conception your killing that child. They say things to down play it .. They have so many forms of birth control these days there is NO excuse for unplanned pregnancies. Abortion should not be a form of birth control. I only believe in them if you have been raped, the health of mother or the baby is going to die period!!

3. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Only the personhood amendment was sent back to committee. The ultrasound bill is still alive.

4. AmericanFirst

AmericanFirst Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,005
    If a libtard had a brain they would have it out and playing with it. I think it is totally satan's influence when tree huggers will do anything to save some plants or animals and then it's ok to murder unborn babies. Idiots.

5. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,660
    Another notch in the belt of the leftists and their culture of death.

6. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    It required a transvaginal ultrasound, which is very much an invasive procedure. They took the legislation too far. This is yet more proof that conservatives are full of shit when they talk about respecting limited government and getting the government out of people's lives.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  7. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,827

Out of their lives and into their vaginas.

8. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    I agree but it also shows that liberals are full of shit when they talk about needing government intervention and using government to enforce what they believe is right and necessary. It's not so cool if the government is trying to enforce something you don't agree with. Hypocritical people on all sides as always.

9. jgarden

jgarden Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Santorum is attempting to impose himself as a 3rd party in a decision that is usually reserved for a women and her doctor.

Unlike the conservatives in Virginia, Santorum is opposed to any proceedures that would allow women to make informed decisions concerning the health of their fetus.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  10. chikenwing

chikenwing Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960
    Protecting an innocent unborn child is invasive,but killing same child is not??

You got some real fucked up ideas.