A restaurant in Indiana

No, its not on the menu.

You are saying that in order to serve you, they must trash everything in the kitchen, throw out all their kosher food and bring in special food just for you? And then prepare it differently just for you?

Then, you are saying you want them build a new kitchen with new utensils and equipment, go out and buy all new makings, all new food, have the rabbi come to bless it and all the rest.

BTW, almost all food is manufactured "pareve" these days. And, no matter where you go, you're likely getting meat that was butchered "kosher".

No, I won't try to remember you're an atheist any more than I would expect you to remember my religion.

:rolleyes:
Sounds like you agree with the freedom of religion law passed in Indiana.

A restaurant opens up that only serves kosher food.
Are they discriminating against the Gentile?
Can I demand that they prepare me a meal that is non-kosher?
Or do they have religious freedom to deny me?
You cannot demand that they serve you anything that is not on the menu.

Now, if they deny you service because you're Muslim, or Hindu, or suspiciously brown, or Gay, or a denomination of Christianity they don't like... well now that's perfectly fine in Indiana. Maybe in a couple years they'll make a law where they're legally allowed to spit on you while kicking you out.
Food items can be prepared both kosher and non-kosher.

Kosher foods cannot be prepared in an unkosher kitchen ... that is a kitchen where unkosher foods are stored or prepared. Without a separate kitchen they have to choose to be kosher or nonkosher. TheOldSchool had it about right: you should have the same right as the next guy to be served any dish on their menu but none to demand they serve that which isn't on their menu.

Now, if they deny you service because you're Muslim, or Hindu, or suspiciously brown, or Gay, or a denomination of Christianity they don't like... well now that's perfectly fine in Indiana. Maybe in a couple years they'll make a law where they're legally allowed to spit on you while kicking you out.
But what if they just flat don't want to serve non kosher foods? Should they be forced because they are "serving the public"?
That means I should be able to go into a John Deer tractor shop and demand a new recliner.

A business can still serve whatever food they want. Nobody is arguing that. But should a kosher food store refuse service to non Jews, even though they want kosher food?

I'm not sure that's true. Long ago when I worked in a fast food shop (granted this was the 12the century) I remember being told that if a vegetarian came in and ordered a "toasted cheese sandwich", we had to do it. Wasn't on the menu.
Well yeah but that's customer service. If you literally don't have something in your restaurant that you don't ever serve...

I'm not sure that's true. Long ago when I worked in a fast food shop (granted this was the 12the century) I remember being told that if a vegetarian came in and ordered a "toasted cheese sandwich", we had to do it. Wasn't on the menu.
A vegetarian ordering a non-vegetarian sandwich? That's strange.

A vegetarian ordering a non-vegetarian sandwich? That's strange.

It was shorter than posting "if a customer came in who didn't eat meat".
Now I had to type all that out anyway.
You owe me pal, big time. :death:

Well yeah but that's customer service. If you literally don't have something in your restaurant that you don't ever serve...

I know it doesn't really apply to this, but technically it's having to serve something that isn't on the menu.

Last edited:

Depends.

Is it on the menu and they're refusing to serve only you?

This is a false equivalency. This Westboro hate crap is not a "christian" belief and its unconstitutional to disallow one group the freedoms all other groups are guaranteed.

Jesus is rolling in his grave.

QUOTE]
No, it's not a false equivalency. It's on the menu, I'm just asking for a non-kosher version of it.
Is that against their religious freedom?

P.S.
Try to remember, I'm an atheist

You can't really demand a non kosher version of a meal in a kosher restsurant. The meat will be kosher and that means slaughtered in accordance with kosher rules. The kitchen will be kosher meaning that meat and dairy are kept separate, including separate pots, pans and dishes. There will be separate dishwashers and separate stoves. Kosher isn't just a different way of spicing the meatballs. It's a method. A non kosher version means buying meat just for you and using someone else's kitchen.

A closer analogy would be if you wanted the deli to cater a baptismal and got told they only cater bar mitzvahs.

Kosher foods cannot be prepared in an unkosher kitchen ... that is a kitchen where unkosher foods are stored or prepared. Without a separate kitchen they have to choose to be kosher or nonkosher. TheOldSchool had it about right: you should have the same right as the next guy to be served any dish on their menu but none to demand they serve that which isn't on their menu.

Nope. I find abusive "freedom of religion" laws to be anti-American. Our constitution already protects our right both of and from religion. Indiana lawmakers were grandstanding.

No, its not on the menu.

You are saying that in order to serve you, they must trash everything in the kitchen, throw out all their kosher food and bring in special food just for you? And then prepare it differently just for you?

Then, you are saying you want them build a new kitchen with new utensils and equipment, go out and buy all new makings, all new food, have the rabbi come to bless it and all the rest.

BTW, almost all food is manufactured "pareve" these days. And, no matter where you go, you're likely getting meat that was butchered "kosher".

No, I won't try to remember you're an atheist any more than I would expect you to remember my religion.

:rolleyes:

I believe that every business should have to obey the same laws and that no business should get a legal loophole to discriminate against any one group.

Depends.

Is it on the menu and they're refusing to serve only you?

This is a false equivalency. This Westboro hate crap is not a "christian" belief and its unconstitutional to disallow one group the freedoms all other groups are guaranteed.

Jesus is rolling in his grave.

QUOTE]
No, it's not a false equivalency. It's on the menu, I'm just asking for a non-kosher version of it.
Is that against their religious freedom?

P.S.
Try to remember, I'm an atheist

You can't really demand a non kosher version of a meal in a kosher restsurant. The meat will be kosher and that means slaughtered in accordance with kosher rules. The kitchen will be kosher meaning that meat and dairy are kept separate, including separate pots, pans and dishes. There will be separate dishwashers and separate stoves. Kosher isn't just a different way of spicing the meatballs. It's a method. A non kosher version means buying meat just for you and using someone else's kitchen.

A closer analogy would be if you wanted the deli to cater a baptismal and got told they only cater bar mitzvahs.
Guess what under current law a "baptismal" wouldn't have to cater to a bar mitzvah. Or were you ridiculing the original argument?

Do they serve kosher to some and not to others? That would be discrimination. If they serve kosher to EVERYONE, that is not discrimination.

Rightwingers sure suck at analogies.
That's really stupid. Homos are not denied service because they're homo. They're denied service that condones homo behavior because condoning homo behavior may not be kosher, so to speak.
Lefties have serious math and logic issues.

The whole thing is one big slippery slope.

The so-called freedom of religion laws are indeed a slippery slope because they open then door to pass similar laws to discriminate against other groups.

How long before businesses can hang signs that they serve only whites, straights, gentiles and on and on.

All groups should have equal protection against discrimination. If one wants to be in business, they must all abide by the same laws. If they want special treatment, lthey can have it in the special buildings they have set aside for the preaching of bigotry and hate.

So in Indiana, we now have religious based service

The Bible says being gay is bad, so I won't serve gay weddings
The Bible says adultery is a sin, so I won't serve weddings if the bride is pregnant
The Bible says you should marry in your own faith, so I won't serve interfaith weddings

In Indiana, which of these situations will end up being denied service?

Forum List

Back