A restaurant in Indiana

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
A restaurant opens up that only serves kosher food.
Are they discriminating against the Gentile?
Can I demand that they prepare me a meal that is non-kosher?
Or do they have religious freedom to deny me?

You cannot demand that they serve you anything that is not on the menu.

Now, if they deny you service because you're Muslim, or Hindu, or suspiciously brown, or Gay, or a denomination of Christianity they don't like... well now that's perfectly fine in Indiana. Maybe in a couple years they'll make a law where they're legally allowed to spit on you while kicking you out.

Their business. They pay the rent. They pay the overhead. They pay taxes. They should have a right to choose who to serve.

Now, if they deny you service because you're Muslim, or Hindu, or suspiciously brown, or Gay, or a denomination of Christianity they don't like... well now that's perfectly fine in Indiana. Maybe in a couple years they'll make a law where they're legally allowed to spit on you while kicking you out.
Food items can be prepared both kosher and non-kosher.

But what if they just flat don't want to serve non kosher foods? Should they be forced because they are "serving the public"?
That means I should be able to go into a John Deer tractor shop and demand a new recliner.

Depends.

Is it on the menu and they're refusing to serve only you?

This is a false equivalency. This Westboro hate crap is not a "christian" belief and its unconstitutional to disallow one group the freedoms all other groups are guaranteed.

Jesus is rolling in his grave.

10401930_10152228904091275_6935764536842631515_n_zps0e522403.jpg

But what if they just flat don't want to serve non kosher foods? Should they be forced because they are "serving the public"?
That means I should be able to go into a John Deer tractor shop and demand a new recliner.
A new recliner is a bit to far. Maybe the John Deere tractor shop should sell Kubota tractors if that's what you want.

Do they serve kosher to some and not to others? That would be discrimination. If they serve kosher to EVERYONE, that is not discrimination.

Rightwingers sure suck at analogies.

we should go to a mosque and demand they preach christian service. and if they don't
SUE THEIR ASSES

Depends.

This is a false equivalency. This Westboro hate crap is not a "christian" belief and its unconstitutional to disallow one group the freedoms all other groups are guaranteed.

QUOTE]
No, it's not a false equivalency. It's on the menu, I'm just asking for a non-kosher version of it.
Is that against their religious freedom?

P.S.
Try to remember, I'm an atheist

Last edited:

Good Lord Gracie. I thought you were better than that. If you'll explain your reasoning for that post I'll politely explain why I disagree.

Do they serve kosher to some and not to others? That would be discrimination. If they serve kosher to EVERYONE, that is not discrimination.

So by your explanation should the Catholic church should be forced to perform weddings to all? Even atheists and satanists? That seems kind of fucked up.

So by your explanation should the Catholic church should be forced to perform weddings to all? Even atheists and satanists? That seems kind of fucked up.
WOW! That is a GIGANTIC fucking leap my friend! :laugh:

I'm not sure that's true. Long ago when I worked in a fast food shop (granted this was the 12the century) I remember being told that if a vegetarian came in and ordered a "toasted cheese sandwich", we had to do it. Wasn't on the menu.

If they serve kosher to everyone regardless of sexual orientation then it doesn't matter.

Worst analogy ever.

Your analogy makes no sense

Gays are not expecting bakers to make hotdogs. They want to be served like anyone else

Depends.

/QUOTE]
No, it's not a false equivalency. It's on the menu, I'm just asking for a non-kosher version of it.
Is that against their religious freedom?

P.S.
Try to remember, I'm an atheist.

No, its not on the menu.

You are saying that in order to serve you, they must trash everything in the kitchen, throw out all their kosher food and bring in special food just for you? And then prepare it differently just for you?

Then, you are saying you want them build a new kitchen with new utensils and equipment, go out and buy all new makings, all new food, have the rabbi come to bless it and all the rest.

BTW, almost all food is manufactured "pareve" these days. And, no matter where you go, you're likely getting meat that was butchered "kosher".

No, I won't try to remember you're an atheist any more than I would expect you to remember my religion.

:rolleyes:

Kosher foods cannot be prepared in an unkosher kitchen ... that is a kitchen where unkosher foods are stored or prepared. Without a separate kitchen they have to choose to be kosher or nonkosher. TheOldSchool had it about right: you should have the same right as the next guy to be served any dish on their menu but none to demand they serve that which isn't on their menu.

Forum List

Back