A Question On USMB Etiquette

Mudflap

VIP Member
Jan 4, 2014
Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

The expected response to them is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

There isn't really an "established protocal" regarding that - I think it's up to the individual.

Personally I like to to thank for a rep, though I don't for a "thanks" - it's a very individualistic thing :)

You can do whatever you want with rep. Sometimes I return a pos rep with one of my own...sometimes I don't. Rep is mostly highschool stuff. It has it's pluses and minuses. Plus is..you get to bump someone up that was slapped with a neg rep and didn't deserve it. Minuses is...it can be used as a weapon.
The thanks button is just that...thanking someone for a great post.

You can do whatever you want with rep. Sometimes I return a pos rep with one of my own...sometimes I don't. Rep is mostly highschool stuff. It has it's pluses and minuses. Plus is..you get to bump someone up that was slapped with a neg rep and didn't deserve it. Minuses is...it can be used as a weapon.

I'm learning about "used as a weapon" thing. Thanks for the response.

Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

Thanks.

You may find that you will grow to know a group of many varied and diverse people and will often find what they write stimulating, and then feel free to POS rep them. You will probably get some back in return.

I don't look all that much at the thanks thing. A lot of people start throwing out thanks once they have burned through their reps for the day. But I think it's all about developing your own personal style.

I have repped Cons almost as much as I have repped Libs. Just depends on what I see.
And I get about half of my reps from Cons on some days, but not every day.

BTW, if you accidentally NEG rep someone, you have a certain amount of time to delete the NEG rep before it becomes part of the permanent record. I don't know how long a time you have, but it looks like a couple of minutes.

Hope that info helps at least a little bit.

best,

-Stat

Keep in mind....on that "used as a weapon" thing....there's a theory that neg rep given is inversely proportional to the neggers genitalia size.

Or so I've heard ;)

Keep in mind....on that "used as a weapon" thing....there's a theory that neg rep given is inversely proportional to the neggers genitalia size.

Or so I've heard ;)

Fortunately I wasn't drinking anything when I read that. I actually did lol.

Cause some of us need you :smiliehug:

(ok I admit it - I had no idea that thread existed :lol: )

again... you could fool me right now about that.....

the thread has been there for a long time..... why i help is beyond me. Ill learn one of these days....

Well it's not beyond me or the scores of others you've helped. Hope you never learn :smiliehug:

As far as etiquette, I feel a (pos) rep should always be thanked and I make it a point to. Especially small ones, to encourage the spirit. When I send someone a "greenie" and they never respond, I stop wasting rep on them. There's a limit to how much you can hand out per 24 hours.

Last edited:
Cause some of us need you :smiliehug:

(ok I admit it - I had no idea that thread existed :lol: )

again... you could fool me right now about that.....

the thread has been there for a long time..... why i help is beyond me. Ill learn one of these days....

Well it's not beyond me or the scores of others you've helped. Hope you never learn :smiliehug:

any idea how much shit ive taken for that little piece of help about rep? It would make your head spin.

Yup, you'll never learn. And you'll always take shit, just like I did for explaining rep to Stat in his welcome thread.

Because this is the Internet, and the Internet attracts crazy people.

I'm still learning.
You're ok in my book, Mudflap. You are nice. I like nice.:)

Pogo said it for me up there^

I love repping. It's like a shoulder nudge or a quick hug for an awesome post or just because you like that person, whereas a Thank You is a smile for a great post and acknowleding they said what you wanted to say or already said. Validation.

I also stop repping when I don't even get a smilie smile. Some form of "thanks for the rep". And I try to reciprocate too. MY method in remembering to rep just to spread some greenies is to start a thread. Everyone that posts in it gets a good rep. Why? Cuz. It's just a nice thing to do and I would rather be nice than be grumpy. :)

Thanks.

My opinion is that if Thanks and Pos-Rep is to have any meaning at all, then ya wouldn't give either just because you receive them. They should be earned just as in real life, not awarded simply because someone awarded them to you.

Or so I've heard ;)

Makes sense. I never Neg but am very...Blessed. :)

I recently opted out of reputation, as I found it a distraction. I'd come back online and the hate mail would waste my time. If a person cannot counter your points they negative rep you. It would make more sense to have positive rep only, and if someone disagreed then they should at least have the courage of their convictions and say why. Just saying.

When I posted this thread I expected two or three responses with a link to the thread I couldn't find, and am grateful to everyone who took time to give their opinion.

Forum List

Back