A Question On USMB Etiquette

Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

The expected response to them is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

You may find that you will grow to know a group of many varied and diverse people and will often find what they write stimulating, and then feel free to POS rep them. You will probably get some back in return.

I don't look all that much at the thanks thing. A lot of people start throwing out thanks once they have burned through their reps for the day. But I think it's all about developing your own personal style.

I have repped Cons almost as much as I have repped Libs. Just depends on what I see.
And I get about half of my reps from Cons on some days, but not every day.

BTW, if you accidentally NEG rep someone, you have a certain amount of time to delete the NEG rep before it becomes part of the permanent record. I don't know how long a time you have, but it looks like a couple of minutes.

Hope that info helps at least a little bit.

best,

-Stat

You are hauntingly antiseptic.

Well it's not beyond me or the scores of others you've helped. Hope you never learn :smiliehug:

any idea how much shit ive taken for that little piece of help about rep? It would make your head spin.
I wish there was a way to bump that thread...but the fucker is CLOSED. It oughtta be a sticky!

I rep for good humor and good sense. I thank pos reppers in a PM straight back. I "thank" neg reppers with a neg rep in return. I consider pos reps to be an expression of appreciation and negs reps to be reserved as a tool for adolescent twits.

If you can't say something good about somebody, shut the fuck up!

its locked becasue it became a flame thread of bullshit.

And it is a sticky... it is at the top of the introductions.

Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

Thanks.

Gather as much rep as you can. It's as important as breathing.

Get involved in a clique. Post benign, banal things so people think you're nonthreatening. Post in the Tavern or the Lounge. Share stories about your life, preferably emotional ones. Rep anyone with a high amount of rep repeatedly. Use up all your daily allotment.

Or ...

Pick a side and be really obnoxious, insulting the intelligence and ethics of your opponents. Your "team" will flood you with rep.

Soon, you too will have a high rep count and will have a high self-esteem.

Thanking people is for pussies. There's no payback.

And always remember, rep is more important than breathing.
:clap2:

Thanks.
Reps accumulate points for you. The more you have the more points you are able to give when you rep someone else. Also, if someone that has a lot of rep, gives you a negative rep, they will deduct a lot of your points, so you are better off if you can accumulate a lot of points, that way, when someone decides to give negative rep, it doesn't affect you much.
You can only rep 20 people in one 24 hour period, and you can't rep the same person again until you have repped 11 others.

The thanks don't do anything but let the person know that you liked their post. There is also no limit to the number of thanks you can give out in one day. It's just nice to see that others liked your post when you see a lot of "thanks" on it.

When someone gives me positive rep, I usually respond to the pm with a "thank you" pm, just to let them know that I appreciate their kindness in giving me rep. Some people don't thank, it's up to the person.

There isn't really an "established protocal" regarding that - I think it's up to the individual.

Personally I like to to thank for a rep, though I don't for a "thanks" - it's a very individualistic thing :)

I never return a thanks or rep.
If I like a post and respond in either way, that's the end of it.
If I get a red or a green, I respond directly to neither.
(except in the neg rep comments thread)
However, I haven't got that far down the user cp page for a few weeks.
I must have a look at them.

Thanks.
Honestly, I forget its there unless I see a post that I just have to say something about behind the scenes.

it is often at that moment that I think to open My CP and discover that I have new rep.

I have to admit a bit shamefaced that I don't often give thanks for rep, but that is mostly because I don't look very often to see if I have any.

To those who give Me rep, however.....I want it known that I do appreciate it.

I recently opted out of reputation, as I found it a distraction. I'd come back online and the hate mail would waste my time. If a person cannot counter your points they negative rep you. It would make more sense to have positive rep only, and if someone disagreed then they should at least have the courage of their convictions and say why. Just saying.

yes, i was negged a coupla times right out of the gate and am now considering opting out myself. i just want to pos a lot of people before i do, if i do.

You maybe shouldn't have charged right into the Flame Zone right away. I didn't go down there for months. It's like the crawl space under this old farmhouse I live in -- you know it's there but you'd rather not deal with it just now.

bad habit i picked up as the oldest brother in a large family...lol.

my dad always had these group lecture and always finished "your big brother goes where angels fear to tread. it is not so much a case of him being foolish as it is a case of him being fearless, but do not follow him, please. your mom would go crazy."

old habits.

Thanks.

You may find that you will grow to know a group of many varied and diverse people and will often find what they write stimulating, and then feel free to POS rep them. You will probably get some back in return.

I don't look all that much at the thanks thing. A lot of people start throwing out thanks once they have burned through their reps for the day. But I think it's all about developing your own personal style.

I have repped Cons almost as much as I have repped Libs. Just depends on what I see.
And I get about half of my reps from Cons on some days, but not every day.

BTW, if you accidentally NEG rep someone, you have a certain amount of time to delete the NEG rep before it becomes part of the permanent record. I don't know how long a time you have, but it looks like a couple of minutes.

Hope that info helps at least a little bit.

best,

-Stat

You are hauntingly antiseptic.

:rofl:

Uh, is that good or bad?!?!!?

:rofl:

Thanks.
Just be yourself, mudflap. We have someone here at every echelon of Kohlberg's morality scale, from snakesnot to romper room doo-bees. ;)

Gets my vote for the very best statement EVUH in USMB. Well, at least since I came on board.

:D

Thanks.

say thanks for a pos rep

laugh at a neg one

--LOL

you can return the favor of either

Thanks.

say thanks for a pos rep

laugh at a neg one

--LOL

you can return the favor of either

Good man. Good attitude. I may just pos rep you for that...

any idea how much shit ive taken for that little piece of help about rep? It would make your head spin.
I wish there was a way to bump that thread...but the fucker is CLOSED. It oughtta be a sticky!

I rep for good humor and good sense. I thank pos reppers in a PM straight back. I "thank" neg reppers with a neg rep in return. I consider pos reps to be an expression of appreciation and negs reps to be reserved as a tool for adolescent twits.

If you can't say something good about somebody, shut the fuck up!

its locked becasue it became a flame thread of bullshit.

And it is a sticky... it is at the top of the introductions.

So it is........... :eek:

Don't know how I missed that. :redface:

Lots of opinions about saying thanks or not is proper/expected or not. Obviously some do and some don't, some will and some won't, but nobody is really expected to do anything.

"Just be yourself" was good advice.

Thanks, all.

Lots of opinions about saying thanks or not is proper/expected or not. Obviously some do and some don't, some will and some won't, but nobody is really expected to do anything.

"Just be yourself" was good advice.

Thanks, all.

:thup:

Thanks.

Get involved in a clique. Post benign, banal things so people think you're nonthreatening. Post in the Tavern or the Lounge. Share stories about your life, preferably emotional ones. Rep anyone with a high amount of rep repeatedly. Use up all your daily allotment.

Or ...

Pick a side and be really obnoxious, insulting the intelligence and ethics of your opponents. Your "team" will flood you with rep.

87582072.gif

Thanks.

Or ...

87582072.gif

Of course I'm serious.

You think this is a f****** game?

Or ...

87582072.gif

Of course I'm serious.

You think this is a f****** game?
Toro the acerbic crusader v. the world of gentle people. *sigh*

Please pass the glass while Toro passes gas.

220px-Bromo_seltzer_newspaper.png

Forum List

Back