A Question On USMB Etiquette

I recently opted out of reputation, as I found it a distraction. I'd come back online and the hate mail would waste my time. If a person cannot counter your points they negative rep you. It would make more sense to have positive rep only, and if someone disagreed then they should at least have the courage of their convictions and say why. Just saying.

I was sad to see you had opted out, but certainly understand why.

You can do whatever you want with rep. Sometimes I return a pos rep with one of my own...sometimes I don't. Rep is mostly highschool stuff. It has it's pluses and minuses. Plus is..you get to bump someone up that was slapped with a neg rep and didn't deserve it. Minuses is...it can be used as a weapon.
The thanks button is just that...thanking someone for a great post.

I'm learning about "used as a weapon" thing. Thanks for the response.

It shouldn't be used as a weapon. I'd prefer it if there were only positive reps and no negative reps.

I recently opted out of reputation, as I found it a distraction. I'd come back online and the hate mail would waste my time. If a person cannot counter your points they negative rep you. It would make more sense to have positive rep only, and if someone disagreed then they should at least have the courage of their convictions and say why. Just saying.

I was sad to see you had opted out, but certainly understand why.

Thought about opting out myself, but I enjoy giving Pos to those who stand out earning such recognition. My way of 'opting out' then is not acknowledging Negs. Haven't managed it 100% of the time, but generally acknowledging bad behaviour, as with children, only encourages it.

You can do whatever you want with rep. Sometimes I return a pos rep with one of my own...sometimes I don't. Rep is mostly highschool stuff. It has it's pluses and minuses. Plus is..you get to bump someone up that was slapped with a neg rep and didn't deserve it. Minuses is...it can be used as a weapon.
The thanks button is just that...thanking someone for a great post.

I'm learning about "used as a weapon" thing. Thanks for the response.

me too. some people are really nasty, but i guess life is like that. me, if i am going to be nasty, i think i will just be up front about it...lol...besides, anger and nastiness take a lot of effort.

I have never neg repped anyone here on purpose.

I have never neg repped anyone on the entire internets on porpose.

I did it once by accident and had the mods remove it.

I never will neg rep someone on the internets on purpose.

its childish.

I use the thanks all the time

Cause some of us need you :smiliehug:

(ok I admit it - I had no idea that thread existed :lol: )

again... you could fool me right now about that.....

the thread has been there for a long time..... why i help is beyond me. Ill learn one of these days....

Well it's not beyond me or the scores of others you've helped. Hope you never learn :smiliehug:

As far as etiquette, I feel a (pos) rep should always be thanked and I make it a point to. Especially small ones, to encourage the spirit. When I send someone a "greenie" and they never respond, I stop wasting rep on them. There's a limit to how much you can hand out per 24 hours.

i tried to thank people but i have less than 50 posts and it makes me angry that i can't. i wish they would get rid of that rule for responding to reps.

yes, i was negged a coupla times right out of the gate and am now considering opting out myself. i just want to pos a lot of people before i do, if i do.

yes, i was negged a coupla times right out of the gate and am now considering opting out myself. i just want to pos a lot of people before i do, if i do.

You maybe shouldn't have charged right into the Flame Zone right away. I didn't go down there for months. It's like the crawl space under this old farmhouse I live in -- you know it's there but you'd rather not deal with it just now.

the thread has been there for a long time..... why i help is beyond me. Ill learn one of these days....

Well it's not beyond me or the scores of others you've helped. Hope you never learn :smiliehug:

As far as etiquette, I feel a (pos) rep should always be thanked and I make it a point to. Especially small ones, to encourage the spirit. When I send someone a "greenie" and they never respond, I stop wasting rep on them. There's a limit to how much you can hand out per 24 hours.

i tried to thank people but i have less than 50 posts and it makes me angry that i can't. i wish they would get rid of that rule for responding to reps.

Get your butt in gear and start jabbering then! Tell us 6 jokes. Then you will have 50. C'mon. You know you can do it. :razz:

Oops. You have 50. I was looking at the wrong number.
But you can tell some jokes anyway. :)

Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

The expected response to them is what I'm looking for.

Thanks.
Just be yourself, mudflap. We have someone here at every echelon of Kohlberg's morality scale, from snakesnot to romper room doo-bees. ;)

I usually return a rep saying thanks for the rep with it. The thanks feature on postings is just for that post.

Is there a thread explaining the uses of "thanks" and "reps"? I've read through the rules and guidelines and made a search, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it proper etiquette to return a "thanks" or a "rep"? I've been trying to figure out the appropriate uses for and responses to them, and have been using "thanks" as saying "I agree," but the rep thing is new to me so I forget it's even there. I'm trying to improve on remembering the rep thing.

I THINK a "thanks" is simply saying "thanks" and that's the end of it, and a "rep" gives points or whatever.

Thanks.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/intro...tation-101-reps-for-newbie-s-of-the-usmb.html

I usually return a rep saying thanks for the rep with it. The thanks feature on postings is just for that post.

Yep. Whereas I appreciate a thank you PM, it's not necessary. Goodwill and the buzz of harmonious camaraderie will suffice.

Thanks.

Gather as much rep as you can. It's as important as breathing.

Get involved in a clique. Post benign, banal things so people think you're nonthreatening. Post in the Tavern or the Lounge. Share stories about your life, preferably emotional ones. Rep anyone with a high amount of rep repeatedly. Use up all your daily allotment.

Or ...

Pick a side and be really obnoxious, insulting the intelligence and ethics of your opponents. Your "team" will flood you with rep.

Soon, you too will have a high rep count and will have a high self-esteem.

Thanking people is for pussies. There's no payback.

And always remember, rep is more important than breathing.

Thanks.

Gather as much rep as you can. It's as important as breathing.

Get involved in a clique. Post benign, banal things so people think you're nonthreatening. Post in the Tavern or the Lounge. Share stories about your life, preferably emotional ones. Rep anyone with a high amount of rep repeatedly. Use up all your daily allotment.

Or ...

Pick a side and be really obnoxious, insulting the intelligence and ethics of your opponents. Your "team" will flood you with rep.

Soon, you too will have a high rep count and will have a high self-esteem.

Thanking people is for pussies. There's no payback.

And always remember, rep is more important than breathing.

/sits on hands to avoid repping Toro because I know no matter how effing brilliant he is, - he will just zero it out and it will all have been for nothing. NOTHING, I TELL YOU!!!!

//shakes weak, ineffectual fist all about

any idea how much shit ive taken for that little piece of help about rep? It would make your head spin.
I wish there was a way to bump that thread...but the fucker is CLOSED. It oughtta be a sticky!

I rep for good humor and good sense. I thank pos reppers in a PM straight back. I "thank" neg reppers with a neg rep in return. I consider pos reps to be an expression of appreciation and neg reps to be reserved as a tool for adolescent twits.

If you can't say something good about somebody, shut the fuck up!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back