A 1,000-foot-thick ice block the size of Delaware is snapping off of Antarctica

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
A chunk of ice nearly twice the size of Rhode Island state is cracking off of an Antarctic glacier, and the rift between it and the southern continent is growing longer and wider every day.

The 2,300-square-mile ice block is part of the Larsen C Ice Shelf, which is the leading edge of one of the world's largest glacier systems.

It's called an ice shelf because it's floating on the ocean. It's normal for ice shelves to calve big icebergs, since snow accumulation gradually pushes old glacier ice out to sea.

But this 1,000-foot-thick piece of floating ice is colossal, and it's quickly fracturing off of Antarctica's prominent peninsula, likely due to rapid human-caused global warming.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5848792eba6eb606688b7051-2267/undefined

wow, utterly shockin

The point about it is not that it will raise the sea level, as it won't, but that it's been acting as a stop for land ice, which will raise the sea level when it enters the sea.

The point about it is not that it will raise the sea level, as it won't, but that it's been acting as a stop for land ice, which will raise the sea level when it enters the sea.

Clearly it has not been acting as a stop...otherwise it would not have grown to the point that it could no longer support itself.

A chunk of ice nearly twice the size of Rhode Island state is cracking off of an Antarctic glacier, and the rift between it and the southern continent is growing longer and wider every day.

The 2,300-square-mile ice block is part of the Larsen C Ice Shelf, which is the leading edge of one of the world's largest glacier systems.

It's called an ice shelf because it's floating on the ocean. It's normal for ice shelves to calve big icebergs, since snow accumulation gradually pushes old glacier ice out to sea.

But this 1,000-foot-thick piece of floating ice is colossal, and it's quickly fracturing off of Antarctica's prominent peninsula, likely due to rapid human-caused global warming.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5848792eba6eb606688b7051-2267/undefined

wow, utterly shockin
If only we allowed MORE government control, lead by a very small cabal of criminal elites, of every aspect of our lives, this horrendous, awful, and unimaginable TRAGEDY...would have been avoided.

If only ALL people would listen to the high priests and priestesses of the Church of Warmers....oh the humanity.....

Al Gore my beloved God....please SAVE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clearly it has not been acting as a stop...otherwise it would not have grown to the point that it could no longer support itself.
What do you mean, not support itself? It's floating. Ffs.

I guess we're just going to have to put up with the screeches of denial as the dumb fucks are forced to disbelieve their lyin' eyes.

What do you mean, not support itself? It's floating. Ffs.

Exactly...it is floating..and no matter how thick it is, it flexes...and as more and more is out over the water, still attached to land, rigid base, at some point, it's flexibility will cause it to break.

I guess we're just going to have to put up with the screeches of denial as the dumb fucks are forced to disbelieve their lyin' eyes.

I believe it broke because it became to large....that will be the finding...perhaps under sea volcanoes weakened the ice, but the bottom line is that it was a floating mass of ice attached to a rigid point...the land...and it got large enough that it broke off...what is to deny there?

It is the idiots who will blame it on CO2.

If only we allowed MORE government control, lead by a very small cabal of criminal elites, of every aspect of our lives, this horrendous, awful, and unimaginable TRAGEDY...would have been avoided.

If only ALL people would listen to the high priests and priestesses of the Church of Warmers....oh the humanity.....

Al Gore my beloved God....please SAVE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only fools like you had been able to get the education we all needed you to get.

If only fools like you had been able to get the education we all needed you to get.
You mean indoctrination....right?

Last edited:

so enlighten the class. What will happen when it breaks off? No sea level rise, so what else is the fear here. Please, please, enlighten us.

so enlighten the class. What will happen when it breaks off? No sea level rise, so what else is the fear here. Please, please, enlighten us.
Sorry for the typo. Please read my post above again and let me know your wonderful thoughts.

You clearly are indoctrinated. How do you like it?

Sorry for the typo. Please read my post above again and let me know your wonderful thoughts.

Wishing to live in a first world civilization = indoctrinated. Throwing out 9,000 years of civilization as you wish for everyone to do is somehow what we should do within your world.

Why wear anything?
Why have laws?
Why get a education?

You can climb around in trees all day long or find a nice cave...You can spear a dog or cat for your meal.

Wishing to live in a first world civilization = indoctrinated. Throwing out 9,000 years of civilization as you wish for everyone to do is somehow what we should do within your world.

Why wear anything?
Why have laws?
Why get a education?

You can climb around in trees all day long or find a nice cave...You can spear a dog or cat for your meal.
Believe the lying elite or we all end up in trees and caves.

Can you walk and chew gum at the same time?

Gipper considers anyone with more than a seventh grade education an elite.

There are a number of cracks in various ice shelves that we were not seeing before this century. As that ice moves out, other ice moves downslope to take the place of the ice that has moved. And that increases sea level. From the geological record, often in a time that is measured in fractions of a decade. Remember, even a meter of sea level rise will wreak havoc with our port cities.

Why wear anything?
Why have laws?
Why get a education?

Gipper considers anyone with more than a seventh grade education an elite.

There are a number of cracks in various ice shelves that we were not seeing before this century. As that ice moves out, other ice moves downslope to take the place of the ice that has moved. And that increases sea level. From the geological record, often in a time that is measured in fractions of a decade. Remember, even a meter of sea level rise will wreak havoc with our port cities.

Big Brother LOVES dupes like you two...look on the bright side, your mommies may not have loved you, but Big Brother does.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back