9% ue

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Avorysuds, May 6, 2011.

1. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    So I noticed the unemployment rate jumped back up to 9% and so far we have seen nothing on the boards about it.

This reminds me of what I have read about under FDR, things "get better" then fall back regardless of the amount of money spent. What really gets me is we all know (and I don't care who you are, R/D/I) that the UE rate we see is coddled and shined in any way possible to make it "better" than what it really is... So despite that undeniable fact it still managed to go backwards from what some on these boards were claiming a flat brilliant turnaround.

If anything the EU rate could be nearing 20%, we would never know because every gimmick is done to make the numbers seem better than they really are.

I don’t want things to be bad or get worse… I just believe with Bushbama style “Big Government” policies that the recovery, while possible, will be fighting every inch of the way. It’s also very possible that the Government’s *good will* and desire to buy votes – I mean, help people, will stifle any possible recover enough to where we split into a depression.

U.S. Economy Adds 244K Jobs, Unemployment Ticks Back To 9% - Steve Schaefer - Exile On Wall Street - Forbes

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    Pay no attention to the economy. We killed Osama bin Laden!!!!

3. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    What are the root problems here?

I think overpopulation (unsustainable - you can't keep growing and growing for more and more people as resources get further and further thinned out) as well as financial deregulation (short term burst leads to bubbles and then pops). I mean, I guess I don't see how a human population can keep growing physically and economically ad infinitum in a limited space. Doesn't this downturn make some sort of cold analytical sense at some level, as a cost of the booms that we had?

What am I missing?

4. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    I forgot, if I pay attention to anything else to soon then I'm denying Obama did what Bush couldn't and that OBL will still be dead in 2012...

5. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Perhaps everyone just knows tracking the UE rate monthly is pointless and a poor indicator of economic health.

Nah.

The seriously ill patient in the ICU is still an apropos metaphor – GWB and Obama kept the economy out of the bottomless pit, but that’s it. Like the patient in the ICU, the economy will recover in its own way, at its own pace, in its own time, regardless of outside influence.

6. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    So the goal post has changed from getting us out of a recession, to stopping the horrible recession from getting worse, to saving us from a Depression, to saving us from a bottomless pit? Oh and saving us from free markets and capitalism, because those things have never worked…

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    i thought giving the "job creators" tax cuts for the past ten years should have created jobs.

how's that trickle down voodoo economics working for us?

8. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Ahh, so when it comes down .2% 8 threads needs to be made as undeniable proof that things are in fact getting better but when that trend reverses is me making a bigger deal of it than it is...

Like I said, if that number is going backwards you can bet it's much worse than it really is. Reality is that most people(or close to most) unemployed are simply not counted anymore.

9. thereisnospoon

thereisnospoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,399
    two days ago the latest report on new unemployment claims was released. Nearly 500,000 new claims. The DJIA, NAZ and S&P 500 all lost significant ground. Today the US DoL releases a report that American business ADDED 200,000 jobs....yet, unemployment increases for the first time in a few months

Nice try by the Obama admin to plant a story as a means to offset bad news.
    Anyone who thinks that story didn't come from the White House is living in denial.

10. thereisnospoon

thereisnospoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,399
    Boopie...you're not even in the same zip code with the discussion.
    Just go and watch cartoons.