9% ue

Barack-Obama---Hope-Action-Change-Campaign-Poster-3.jpg

So I noticed the unemployment rate jumped back up to 9% and so far we have seen nothing on the boards about it.

This reminds me of what I have read about under FDR, things "get better" then fall back regardless of the amount of money spent. What really gets me is we all know (and I don't care who you are, R/D/I) that the UE rate we see is coddled and shined in any way possible to make it "better" than what it really is... So despite that undeniable fact it still managed to go backwards from what some on these boards were claiming a flat brilliant turnaround.

If anything the EU rate could be nearing 20%, we would never know because every gimmick is done to make the numbers seem better than they really are.

I don’t want things to be bad or get worse… I just believe with Bushbama style “Big Government” policies that the recovery, while possible, will be fighting every inch of the way. It’s also very possible that the Government’s *good will* and desire to buy votes – I mean, help people, will stifle any possible recover enough to where we split into a depression.

U.S. Economy Adds 244K Jobs, Unemployment Ticks Back To 9% - Steve Schaefer - Exile On Wall Street - Forbes

WHO, on this board, is claiming that the economy is on the mend?

WHO EXACTLY is saying that?

I ask because I must have missed those posts.

What are the root problems here?

I think overpopulation (unsustainable - you can't keep growing and growing for more and more people as resources get further and further thinned out) as well as financial deregulation (short term burst leads to bubbles and then pops). I mean, I guess I don't see how a human population can keep growing physically and economically ad infinitum in a limited space. Doesn't this downturn make some sort of cold analytical sense at some level, as a cost of the booms that we had?

What am I missing?

Interesting theory, Cali.

When it does finally come time to kill off all that excess population (yuyou know...people like you and I) , I have very little doubt that MARKET FORCES will be the method by which it is done.

And it will (is) coming slowly but (I think) obviously to that even today.

over population?? interesting,If we look at New York state as a smaller example,the state has been loosing people for decades,still broke. Certainly having more people than one can afford will keep the coffers empty.But I am more inclined to think ,its just been bad economic decisions by our fearless leaders and the people in general. The bubble had to burst in the housing market,it just couldn't sustain its self.Oil prices could be the same,fast run ups that are not based on true market conditions,and large fall backs,looks the same to me.

Then why won't anyone answer my questions?

What are the root causes here? What we had was unsustainable, surely an economic disaster was inevitable.

i certainly thought so anyway, and also did not see how my house could triple in value in five years, I mean WTF?
Yiu should seek an apppeal of your home's tax assessment.
Unless you live in some kind of highly desirable enclave, gated community with an impecable school system and zero crime, there's no way your home should have tripled in value from it's last valuation.
Disaster? Yeah. The making of which is by government policy.
The Obama admin refuses to leave the economy alone to fix itself. Certain sectors of the US Economy have not been allowed to bottom out. Housing is one of those.
As long as this condition is forced to exist, there economy will not recover fully.

two days ago the latest report on new unemployment claims was released. Nearly 500,000 new claims. The DJIA, NAZ and S&P 500 all lost significant ground. Today the US DoL releases a report that American business ADDED 200,000 jobs....yet, unemployment increases for the first time in a few months

Nice try by the Obama admin to plant a story as a means to offset bad news.
Anyone who thinks that story didn't come from the White House is living in denial.

Yes I do find it amazing that some want to push 200,000k jobs created in a month and UE going down as a good thing when we still lost 1.5 million jobs in that same month... It's a bunch of tricks and BS, it bugs me that people on these boards pretend or maybe just hope people are to stupid or uninformed as to what the whole story is.

You don't understand the difference between gross and net, do you? If you did, you wouldn't be making the false claim that we lost 1.5 million jobs. That would only be true if A. uninsurance benefits were the only source of unemployment and B. nobody at all was hired.

ok so you're going to pick nits.. Let's go.....1. 5 million jobs lost. 200,000 allegedly created( created but possibly not filled) that's still a net loss of 1.3 million.....
Let's do this for a moment....200k jobs created.....nearly 500,000 new claims for jobless benefits....Hmm. I smell a rat.
We can sit here all day and banter about the jobs market, unemployment rate and maybe discuss the raw number of people out of work, not looking for work or who are underemployed.....Of course excluding all lazy fucks who are quite capable of working but who have decided to take a permament taxpayer funded vacation....
The bottom line here is the economy sucks, the country is just waiting to see how much deeper it has to dig to pay for more of Obama's miracle cures for economic melancholia and of course how much longer that egotistical schmuck is going to keep us cut off from our own oil reserves. Which I might add has decimated the Gulf Coast economy...
Obama/Biden.."We're here to protect the middle class". A bigger bunch of buillshit I have never seen.

Jumped? Was it at 6% or something and jumped 3%?
or was it at like 8.7 or 8.9 and you are just trying to be shocking?

Ahh, so when it comes down .2% 8 threads needs to be made as undeniable proof that things are in fact getting better but when that trend reverses is me making a bigger deal of it than it is...

Like I said, if that number is going backwards you can bet it's much worse than it really is. Reality is that most people(or close to most) unemployed are simply not counted anymore.

The payroll number was good. The headline UE that real economists don't pay much attention to was up because unemployed people who were not looking for jobs started looking again.
No. The unemployment rate rose because there were nearly 500,000 NEW applications for unemployment benefits.

So I noticed the unemployment rate jumped back up to 9% and so far we have seen nothing on the boards about it.

This reminds me of what I have read about under FDR, things "get better" then fall back regardless of the amount of money spent. What really gets me is we all know (and I don't care who you are, R/D/I) that the UE rate we see is coddled and shined in any way possible to make it "better" than what it really is... So despite that undeniable fact it still managed to go backwards from what some on these boards were claiming a flat brilliant turnaround.

If anything the EU rate could be nearing 20%, we would never know because every gimmick is done to make the numbers seem better than they really are.

I don’t want things to be bad or get worse… I just believe with Bushbama style “Big Government” policies that the recovery, while possible, will be fighting every inch of the way. It’s also very possible that the Government’s *good will* and desire to buy votes – I mean, help people, will stifle any possible recover enough to where we split into a depression.

U.S. Economy Adds 244K Jobs, Unemployment Ticks Back To 9% - Steve Schaefer - Exile On Wall Street - Forbes

If barack Hussein Obama was posting here, he'd be the one you are looking for. He says the economy is improving, all the time. At least once a week.
And I think he is beginning to believe his own bullshit.

Rightwinger and TM come to mind. Rtard and a few others as well... Pay more attention, shit they start threads about how things are getting better. Do I really have to go quotes from them?

I started looking because I know you will then agree with me.... lol, not really.

Anyways here is TM "Because he has turned the economy that Bush created (near depression) arround" http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/165027-okay-why-is-obama-a-good-president.html

Last edited:

If barack Hussein Obama was posting here, he'd be the one you are looking for. He says the economy is improving, all the time. At least once a week.

Oh yeah, and BO says it too, yes.

Yes I do find it amazing that some want to push 200,000k jobs created in a month and UE going down as a good thing when we still lost 1.5 million jobs in that same month... It's a bunch of tricks and BS, it bugs me that people on these boards pretend or maybe just hope people are to stupid or uninformed as to what the whole story is.

You don't understand the difference between gross and net, do you? If you did, you wouldn't be making the false claim that we lost 1.5 million jobs. That would only be true if A. uninsurance benefits were the only source of unemployment and B. nobody at all was hired.

Right...

So when everytime I see someone post 200,000k jobs created this month! I can count on you saying "1.3 millions jobs net loss this month!" if you see them, yes?.

No, because I'm not an idiot, and I understand what is gross and what is net. "Jobs created" IS THE NET CHANGE. UI CLAIMS ARE GROSS ADDITIONS.

And it's also different time frames. Every month, on the week that contains the 19th, a sample of businesses are asked how many people are on their payroll for the pay period that contains the 12th. The next month, same thing, and the difference is "jobs created" or "jobs lost." So the big spike in UI claims came AFTER the April survey and won't be reflected until the May figures.

You have to use the language of politics.

If unemployment plummeted to 8.5% then it soared to 9%.

Maybe someone can help bring this into focus for me.
The employment situation summary:
Employment Situation Summary

I've read the entire report a few times. Jobs were added in April for the private sector in virtually every category. The only sector that lost jobs was State and Local governments, and hard numbers of losses are not provided. After reading the following two quotes:

The number of unemployed persons, at 13.7 million, changed little in
April. The unemployment rate edged up from 8.8 to 9.0 percent over the
month but was 0.8 percentage point lower than in November. The labor
force also was little changed in April. (See table A-1.)

Among the marginally attached, there were 989,000 discouraged workers in
April, a decline of 208,000 from a year earlier. (These data are not
seasonally adjusted.)

That would seem to indicate to me that the rise in unemployment despite job gains across the spectrum must be due to A. Reductions in the public sector and B. More discouraged workers who had given up looking for work changing their mind and resuming the search.

Does that sound right? What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Obama is a defender of the (FIRE divison) of Wall Street no less than Bush II was.

Most of those left wingers that so many of you hate have understood that the duelopoloy is a good cop/bad cop game since before most of the right wing political hacks on the board were born.

Maybe someone can help bring this into focus for me.
The employment situation summary:
Employment Situation Summary

I've read the entire report a few times. Jobs were added in April for the private sector in virtually every category. The only sector that lost jobs was State and Local governments, and hard numbers of losses are not provided. After reading the following two quotes:

The number of unemployed persons, at 13.7 million, changed little in
April. The unemployment rate edged up from 8.8 to 9.0 percent over the
month but was 0.8 percentage point lower than in November. The labor
force also was little changed in April. (See table A-1.)

Among the marginally attached, there were 989,000 discouraged workers in
April, a decline of 208,000 from a year earlier. (These data are not
seasonally adjusted.)

That would seem to indicate to me that the rise in unemployment despite job gains across the spectrum must be due to A. Reductions in the public sector and B. More discouraged workers who had given up looking for work changing their mind and resuming the search.

Does that sound right? What am I missing here?

You're pretty much right. Employment (from the labor force survey, not the offical jobs numbers) went down, and Unemployment went up by more than employment went down. So people who had not been looking are starting to look. You can see the estimates for flows HERE and we see that 2,959,000 people went from "not in the labor force" to unemployed and 2,853,000 went from employed to not in the labor force so more people who hadn't been looking started looking than those looking who stopped.

Not in the Labor Force increased overall, because more people went from job to no job and not looking than not looking to job, and more people entering the population didn't look than those who weren't looking left the population.

Right...

So when everytime I see someone post 200,000k jobs created this month! I can count on you saying "1.3 millions jobs net loss this month!" if you see them, yes?.

No, because I'm not an idiot, and I understand what is gross and what is net. "Jobs created" IS THE NET CHANGE. UI CLAIMS ARE GROSS ADDITIONS.

And it's also different time frames. Every month, on the week that contains the 19th, a sample of businesses are asked how many people are on their payroll for the pay period that contains the 12th. The next month, same thing, and the difference is "jobs created" or "jobs lost." So the big spike in UI claims came AFTER the April survey and won't be reflected until the May figures.

"So the big spike in UI claims came AFTER the April survey and won't be reflected until the May figures."
And I suppose that makes it all better.
Look genius, the facts are in plain English. For the average American, the economy is not getting any better.
We are looking at skyrocketing prices for staple items such as food and energy. People are not finding work, there are jobs out there however the incentive to look for work has been diminshed by the insistence on extending unemployment benefits to years long periods.
It is THIS administrations policies which interfere with the marketplace that have not allowed economic indicators to bottom out so they can begin their natural recovery.

This press release is a great example of Orwellian Spin.

In the details of the actual BLS stats, 190,000 LESS people were employed in the U.S. comparing the end of April to the end of March.

If the economy created 244K new jobs, it lost EVEN MORE.

Employment Situation Summary Table A. Household data, seasonally adjusted

Civilian Noninstitutional Population increased by 146K
Total Employed decreased by 190K
Total Unemployed increased by 205K
Not In The Labor Force increased by 131K

The number of Unemployed is increasing faster than the population in general; and the Labor Force Participation Rate decreased to 58.4%, meaning almost the entire increase in the population resulted translated into Non Participation.

How anyone can think this shows economic improvement is beyond comprehension.

Jesus. Where to start? UE, it would be 20% if we counted the deployed, the prison population, the ones who fell off the roster...and some government programs are counter intuitive to an actual working or sustainable solution, BUT, that doesn't mean that government intervention can't, hasn't, or won't (properly applied) work.

I have a question for you. What solutions to UE have the private sector come up with with? Truly? They LIKE high UE, they do. It drives down wages, it makes people jealous of government workers pay packages, which makes us all scramble and scuff over crumbs instead of demanding 1) livable wages and benefits, and 2) anything that resembles customer service.

This is a bi-partisan bitch. MY president tagged Afghanistan as the "Good" war. BULLSHIT. He CAN'T bring everybody home, because the unemployment rate would double. CORPS love unemployment because people will work at damned near anything as long as their working.

Whatta fucking deal. WHY would they want to FIX such a set uo?

By thistime into a recession, application of Conservative principals to combat recessions would have already dropped unemployment a significant amount, just like in 1920/21 and under Reagan. Instead we get Progressive principals and an FDR Economy eclipsing the 7 Biblical Lean Years.

Forum List

Back