9 CEOs paid 800 times more than their workers

The majority are desperate for work because they're deep in debt and we've had high unemployment for several years.

1 - Stop going deep into debt. That'll solve alot of problems.

2 - In case you missed it, unemployment is remarkably low. Yes, it was high for a while there, but it's not anymore. It's a worker's market out there right now.

3 - You are demonstrating how badly you are doing it wrong by talking about your personal debt. Your personal debt has nothing to do with it. Nobody is going to pay you based on how much debt you have. They are going to pay you based on what you bring to the table. If you go into the interview process with your personal debt at the forefront of your mind, you're doing it wrong! You're sabotaging yourself. You and you alone are the source of your problems!

Most of the jobs available don't pay enough to live on, so many need 2 or 3 jobs.

1 - How much does it take to "live on"? The real problem is that what it takes to "live on" is not what people are after. They are after what it takes to "live like a king on," with all their extras. But certainly, they want to work multiple jobs so they can afford all those other things, that's their prerogative.

2 - That aside, I am very much aware that the wage market is dangerously low nowadays. I never said otherwise. That is not an excuse for people to simply settle for low wages. In fact, it is all the more reason for people to stop being passive and become assertive and negotiate!! You're using the result of bad decisions as your excuse for making the bad decisions, which is insane!

Low wages are the result of people not being willing to negotiate. They are not an excuse for not negotiating. Would you expect someone to believe you if you said condoms aren't worth using, because nowadays there are so many people with HIV in the world? Of course not! But that is exactly the reasoning you are using here! Break out of your self defeatism!

They're not in position to negotiate wages.

1 - False. Insanely false. So false, it ought to be a crime to say what you have said. If yo have been selected for the position and they have made you a job offer, then you are in a position to negotiate wages.

Most of these jobs, e.g. service industry and low wage healthcare, have wages that are set in stone and there is no negotiation of wages even if you tried.

Nothing is set in stone, unless people like yourself have become so passive and have given in to accepting whatever is dictated to them, that the normalcy and appropriateness of negotiating has been forgotten to history.

Now, I find it quite interesting that you have narrowed your position from "most people" to a select set of industries, and specifically to low level line positions at that. If you're stuck in a low level line position in an industry that is so overfilled with passive junk employees, then either get into management today, or get the fuck out, get out now, and never look back. You'd be better off flipping burgers in fast food.

At the end of the day, nobody is forced to accept a job offer. When you accept, you are making an agreement to do the work at a certain price. When two sides have made an agreement, the only one who can be blamed if the agreement is not satisfactory is yourself.

9 PEOPLE show that inequality is growing?

Talk about Stupid.

It is not just those 9. Ceo pay is out of control across the board. You can't be this dumb.

You're the moron, bub.

The average CEO in the U.S. IS NOT in a Mega Public Corporation. The average CEO manages a small or medium sized business.

According the BLS, the Median Pay of top executives was $100K per year in 2012; for CEOs it was $168K. This is based on a pool of 2.3M top executives, not NINE PEOPLE.

Top Executives Occupational Outlook Handbook U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Every indicator I have seen shows the rich getting richer and everyone else left behind. You in a different country?

The poor in this country are FAT and sit around watching big screen TVs in air conditioned homes while eating junk food. They have indoor plumbing, computers, cellphones and automobiles.

The MIDDLE CLASS is being destroyed by Obamanomics. To the extend that THE RICH are Big Government Cronies complicit in Obamanomics, then they are guilty as well. But most people who are now defined as Rich (per The Won), meaning people who earn more than $200K per year, just work hard for a living in the private sector. It would behoove you to think about why the PROGS demonize such people.

Too much inequality is slowing our economy. That is what I care about. You are foolish if you think there are not consequences for out of control inequality.

No, it's not. Too much Regulation, Taxes, Government Spending, Debt, and Centralized Federal Power are slowing the economy.

[

Obama did not increase taxes.

If you cut taxes drastically as you hope to do, you are going to have to greatly cut government services. At least in the short run, that would cause a major jolt and shock that would harm the economy.

You have a bit more money ... great. Well, millions of people who have a lot less money because they depended on government would overwhelm any increase in spending you'd do. The economy would tank, the debt would get worse, and crime would go up.

Changes have to be gradual and targetted. Start with capital gains tax decrease to incentivize investment. Next, gradually cut spending and taxes, while simplifying the tax code to make sure everybody pays their fair share. No drastic changes like what the Tea Party wants.

You are confused. You must be watching MSNBC again.

Obama did increase taxes. The income tax rate has increased since Obama has become President. There were 21 tax increases just for Obamacare alone.

I am much better at spending the money that I make rather than some corrupt bureaucrat that was elected by special interest groups. How about you?

There are very few government services that are actually needed like defense, police, courts etc. The rest are mostly wasted money that we get very little benefit from at tremendous cost. We don't need the welfare state and we don't need redistribution of income and wealth and we sure as hell don't need the government paying off union pensions and putting money in the pockets of Solyndra executives that had bundled money for the Democrat Party, do we?

Last edited:
If we want increased immigration levels, we need to get rid of entitlements.

Yes. And when the increase immigration leads to Americans starving in the streets, the liberals will no longer want immigration. Some people have to learn the hard way.

It shows inequality is growing. That slows the economy and is bad for everyone.

Talk about Stupid.

It is not just those 9. Ceo pay is out of control across the board. You can't be this dumb.

You're the moron, bub.

The average CEO in the U.S. IS NOT in a Mega Public Corporation. The average CEO manages a small or medium sized business.

According the BLS, the Median Pay of top executives was $100K per year in 2012; for CEOs it was $168K. This is based on a pool of 2.3M top executives, not NINE PEOPLE.

Every indicator I have seen shows the rich getting richer and everyone else left behind. You in a different country?

The poor in this country are FAT and sit around watching big screen TVs in air conditioned homes while eating junk food. They have indoor plumbing, computers, cellphones and automobiles.

The MIDDLE CLASS is being destroyed by Obamanomics. To the extend that THE RICH are Big Government Cronies complicit in Obamanomics, then they are guilty as well. But most people who are now defined as Rich (per The Won), meaning people who earn more than $200K per year, just work hard for a living in the private sector. It would behoove you to think about why the PROGS demonize such people.
its obvious the left wants to destroy the middle class and make us into sheep. They hate the middle class because they can't corral us

You're the moron, bub.

Too much inequality is slowing our economy. That is what I care about. You are foolish if you think there are not consequences for out of control inequality.

No, it's not. Too much Regulation, Taxes, Government Spending, Debt, and Centralized Federal Power are slowing the economy.

Is that why the economy continued to slide with the bush tax cuts? Why was the economy so good under Reagan when he was spending like crazy? We don't have any more federal power now than we have had in strong economies. Your claims are obviously false.

9 CEOs paid 800 times more than their workers
This story doesn't surprise me.
The normal nature of American capitalism. Exploit workers an benefit off the backs of their labor. Meanwhile families rely on credit and struggle to provide a decent chance at opportunity for their children.
Exploitation is the very basis of American existence.
What exploitation would that be?

Detail it very specifically.

If we want increased immigration levels, we need to get rid of entitlements.

Yes. And when the increase immigration leads to Americans starving in the streets, the liberals will no longer want immigration. Some people have to learn the hard way.

The Dems-Progs are already splitting into factions of Minorities vs. Minorities. U.S. born black and hispanic who have low education levels and are unskilled are pitted against cheaper illegals in the jobs market. At some point, the blowback is going to be very severe.

Talk about Stupid.

You're the moron, bub.

its obvious the left wants to destroy the middle class and make us into sheep. They hate the middle class because they can't corral us
I want anyone to refute my this post.... Because we will never bow down to anyone, us blue collar guys Will never give up and quit.

Its who we are.

The CEO who tried that with his $70K wage is seeing his company crater.

The reason he's having such problems are more political than anything. He's lost clients and tenured employees simply out of spite. It's not the financials of the scheme, it's his implementation. The fundamental concept of what he is doing is essentially sound, but he did it all the wrong way. What he should have done was develop a generous incentive plan, and transition into a base pay with performance bonuses pay scale. That would have been far better for morale and motivation. His second mistake was to make a loud spectacle of it. In a hyper polarized age of political insanity there were bound to be people who would abandon him just for the political spite of it, and he should have anticipated that.

Either way, he's made his bed, he has to lay in it.

I think most people don't understand how these corporations are actually run... The main shareholders in these organisations are Pension Funds and Unit Funds which are controlled by Financial Institutions. These Financial Institutions are a cartel especially in the Investment banks.

So is this Capitalism or Cronism?

and who is the beneficiary of those pensions....teachers, union painters......who would like their own pension funds to do well enough that they can live off of them....right?
Or lose them, like in the last recession...

That is called investing....how else do you make more than you put in...unlike social security that steals,from one worker to pay another worker, pensions need to generate money...and that involves,risk...no way to avoid it.
Investing has risks, yes...So you like people to lose money on a risk.....Invest in Social Security, the risk is lower and the account cost..

No...social security is stealing...they take the alleged,contributions of today's workers and pay the pension payments of retired workers...and there isn't enough money coming in to cover those payments anymore...it isn't "risk" it is theft.........
They do the same thing with investments..

The CEO who tried that with his $70K wage is seeing his company crater.

The reason he's having such problems are more political than anything. He's lost clients and tenured employees simply out of spite. It's not the financials of the scheme, it's his implementation. The fundamental concept of what he is doing is essentially sound, but he did it all the wrong way. What he should have done was develop a generous incentive plan, and transition into a base pay with performance bonuses pay scale. That would have been far better for morale and motivation. His second mistake was to make a loud spectacle of it. In a hyper polarized age of political insanity there were bound to be people who would abandon him just for the political spite of it, and he should have anticipated that.

Either way, he's made his bed, he has to lay in it.

Uh, it is the financial aspect. More valuable employees felt that they were not paid properly when their lower value comrades were given huge increases. Customers felt that the increased costs would be passed along to them.

But you're not doing a very good job at that.

You need to open your mind. You really don't want to hear, so you just won't listen.

How the F is some person applying to work retail, restaurant, or Healthcare supposed to negotiate about their wage?

Well it's retail, so you can start with the numbers. Retail is all about making sales. Are you good at retail sales? How do your sales compare to other people? Do you lead the way in sales performance? Then you should lead the way in pay!

A sales based job is the best and easiest kind of job to negotiate for better pay! go here and find out what the market pay band is for your job in your area. Type yourself up a nice resume that focuses on the numbers. What are your sales per hour? What are your sales per customer? How much above the store average are your own sales? Go into your interview, and hammer away at your sales strengths. Tell them all about what makes you so good as a sales person. Tell them about how you have a natural ability to read customers and figure them out. Tell them about your strategies that you use to appeal to the individual and convince them to buy. And when they ask you if you've applied anywhere else, tell them yes. Even if it's a lie, say you have been interviewing with a few other companies. And if they ask where, simply tell them you'd rather not say at the moment, and immediately segue into something about this company that makes you think you'd be happy there. (Honestly, if you aren't applying with multiple companies, then you're doing it wrong!)

Now, when it's time and they offer you a job, DO NOT accept it right away. Ask them when they need an answer by. Tell them you want to sleep on it/think it over a day or two/whatever. In the meantime, identify where the offer rates in the pay band, and how does that compare to your personal abilities. After a day or two, email the manager with a counter offer:

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you again for the job offer as the Widget Sales Schmuck. I'm really excited and I think Widget-Ink Inc. would be a great company to work for. But I am a little concerned about the hourly pay of $8.25. Based on my research, the current "going" market rate for a retail sales associate ranges from $8-$13 an hour. Considering my experience and my proven history to be among the strongest sales associates in my previous stores, I think that something closer to $13/hr. would be a more appropriate figure. If you consider the fact that based on my past performance, and from what we've talked about in my interviews, I can generate $50,000 more in yearly sales than a novice or less talented candidate, I'm sure you'll agree that the extra $9800 a year in pay will be well worth it for your company as much as it is for me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, and I look forward to the exciting future as we deliver the joys of Widgets to the world.

You admit that even in your line of work, you're finding that hiring managers,don't allow negotiation of salary.

I said that it's starting to happen that even hiring managers are out of touch with hiring. I also said that I did not accept the non-negotiable offer. See how that works? Let the stupid foolish companies who insist on non-negotiable offers (whether through their own stubbornness or the incompetence of their HR people) suffer their consequences, as they get left with the bottom pickings of the barrel. You go out and get your fair market value.

Well, I can guarantee you it's not done in the fields where most of the jobs are.

And I can guarantee you that you are wrong. You are simply making an assumption. It never occurred to you to negotiate, you don't want to negotiate, you are scared to negotiate, you want your wage handed to you on a silver platter. So you are acting petulant and defeating yourself by assuming from the get-co that it's impossible.

Most people don't have the kind of background and experience you have that allows you the luxury of picking and choosing where you're going to work and for how much.

And what do you know about my experience and background? Nothing, of course.

I bet you can't explain what the Commerce Clause actually is.

Of course he can't. A voice in his head keeps whispering that phrase to him. That's why he keeps talking about it. Why everyone insists on giving Daniel crap is beyond me.

Uh, it is the financial aspect. More valuable employees felt that they were not paid properly when their lower value comrades were given huge increases. Customers felt that the increased costs would be passed along to them.

Those are not financial reasons, they are political. If Bobby wants to quit because he's jealous that when he was first starting out he didn't get paid as much as Sally is getting, then his reasons for quitting are political, not financial. If Bobby thinks he can get paid more elsewhere, and convinces someone to do so, then by all means may Bobby find good fortunes in his job search as he attempts to do so. But no matter how much Bobby disapproves of Sally's pay check, the fact of the matter is that Sally's pay has nothing to do with Bobby's pay. And Bobby's quitting his job simply because he doesn't approve of Sally's pay is not a financial issue for the employer. It is a political/morale issue.

Same thing with the clients who bailed. They claim it was because they were worried about their prices going up. That's hogwash. They haven't raised prices, and those clients didn't even bother to see if it would happen. Considering the fact that the company has firmly insisted that they are not raising prices on their customers, and that the most prominent aspect of the media coverage in all of this has been that the owner is voluntarily slashing his $1 million salary to $70K, the excuse that the clients were worried the company would increase prices is impossible to believe. They left for the political spite of it.

But you're not doing a very good job at that.

You need to open your mind. You really don't want to hear, so you just won't listen.

How the F is some person applying to work retail, restaurant, or Healthcare supposed to negotiate about their wage?

Well it's retail, so you can start with the numbers. Retail is all about making sales. Are you good at retail sales? How do your sales compare to other people? Do you lead the way in sales performance? Then you should lead the way in pay!

A sales based job is the best and easiest kind of job to negotiate for better pay! go here and find out what the market pay band is for your job in your area. Type yourself up a nice resume that focuses on the numbers. What are your sales per hour? What are your sales per customer? How much above the store average are your own sales? Go into your interview, and hammer away at your sales strengths. Tell them all about what makes you so good as a sales person. Tell them about how you have a natural ability to read customers and figure them out. Tell them about your strategies that you use to appeal to the individual and convince them to buy. And when they ask you if you've applied anywhere else, tell them yes. Even if it's a lie, say you have been interviewing with a few other companies. And if they ask where, simply tell them you'd rather not say at the moment, and immediately segue into something about this company that makes you think you'd be happy there. (Honestly, if you aren't applying with multiple companies, then you're doing it wrong!)

Now, when it's time and they offer you a job, DO NOT accept it right away. Ask them when they need an answer by. Tell them you want to sleep on it/think it over a day or two/whatever. In the meantime, identify where the offer rates in the pay band, and how does that compare to your personal abilities. After a day or two, email the manager with a counter offer:

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you again for the job offer as the Widget Sales Schmuck. I'm really excited and I think Widget-Ink Inc. would be a great company to work for. But I am a little concerned about the hourly pay of $8.25. Based on my research, the current "going" market rate for a retail sales associate ranges from $8-$13 an hour. Considering my experience and my proven history to be among the strongest sales associates in my previous stores, I think that something closer to $13/hr. would be a more appropriate figure. If you consider the fact that based on my past performance, and from what we've talked about in my interviews, I can generate $50,000 more in yearly sales than a novice or less talented candidate, I'm sure you'll agree that the extra $9800 a year in pay will be well worth it for your company as much as it is for me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, and I look forward to the exciting future as we deliver the joys of Widgets to the world.

You admit that even in your line of work, you're finding that hiring managers,don't allow negotiation of salary.

I said that it's starting to happen that even hiring managers are out of touch with hiring. I also said that I did not accept the non-negotiable offer. See how that works? Let the stupid foolish companies who insist on non-negotiable offers (whether through their own stubbornness or the incompetence of their HR people) suffer their consequences, as they get left with the bottom pickings of the barrel. You go out and get your fair market value.

Well, I can guarantee you it's not done in the fields where most of the jobs are.

And I can guarantee you that you are wrong. You are simply making an assumption. It never occurred to you to negotiate, you don't want to negotiate, you are scared to negotiate, you want your wage handed to you on a silver platter. So you are acting petulant and defeating yourself by assuming from the get-co that it's impossible.

Most people don't have the kind of background and experience you have that allows you the luxury of picking and choosing where you're going to work and for how much.

And what do you know about my experience and background? Nothing, of course.

If you tell them you'll think it over, what's to stop them from moving on to the next candidate? If you're going to negotiate wages and you don't have the luxury of losing this job offer, you negotiate right then and there. Do not leave without accepting the job unless you're prepared to lose the job.

I know you have considerable experience and a rock solid background because of what you say you do ... you negotiate from a place of power ... which most of us don't have the luxury of. We need any job offer we can get.

Many of these rich egoists just think this way: "If you don't like how much your boss makes, then simply find a boss who makes less money... It's all about choice. So, exercise your choice and move on". Every worker are just a replaceable pawn for them.

Forum List

Back