3 day waiting period and Background Check

No legal citizen with the right to vote is being prevented from voting upon verification that they are that legal citizen and who they say they are

You prove who you are to cash a check, and that is less of a right than a vote

If I go to vote without ID, my right to vote is blocked. That is as unconstitutional as going to buy a gun and being told you can't because you're bat shit crazy.

Yet you are 100% in favour of one and not the other.

Honestly, I don't get it.

If I go to vote without my ID, it's my fault. If I go to buy a gun and forget my ID, it's my fault. Neither of my rights were denied.

Uhm, no, your rights were denied in both cases because a law was passed adding an extra step in both cases.

If I go to vote without ID, my right to vote is blocked. That is as unconstitutional as going to buy a gun and being told you can't because you're bat shit crazy.

Yet you are 100% in favour of one and not the other.

Honestly, I don't get it.

If I go to vote without my ID, it's my fault. If I go to buy a gun and forget my ID, it's my fault. Neither of my rights were denied.

Uhm, no, your rights were denied in both cases because a law was passed adding an extra step in both cases.

No, my rights would have been violated had both checks come back fine and I was simply told that I couldn't vote or purchase a gun. Then, I would have a case.

OK, how about this:

Voter ID's are fine, as long as the state government that requires them to be presented does the following:

1. issue IDs to the voters free of charge
  2. provide transportation to and from any facility they need to go to in order to procure said IDs, and
  3. makes absolutely sure all voters have a reasonable amount of time to procure said IDs between the time the law is passed requiring them, and the next election.

If those procedures are followed, then a voter ID is not a poll tax, or a gimmick to stop people from voting, and is fair.

If they are not followed, then the state in question is interfering with the citizen's right to vote, and is therefore in violation of the Constitution.

OK, how about this:

Voter ID's are fine, as long as the state government that requires them to be presented does the following:

2. provide transportation to and from any facility they need to go to in order to procure said IDs, and
  3. makes absolutely sure all voters have a reasonable amount of time to procure said IDs between the time the law is passed requiring them, and the next election.

If those procedures are followed, then a voter ID is not a poll tax, or a gimmick to stop people from voting, and is fair.

If they are not followed, then the state in question is interfering with the citizen's right to vote, and is therefore in violation of the Constitution.

That sounds reasonable.

OK, how about this:

Someone to move their hand and clasp the pen to sign their name too.

No, my rights would have been violated had both checks come back fine and I was simply told that I couldn't vote or purchase a gun. Then, I would have a case.

I don't think you know what "infringe" means.

Don't forget the SUVs that also kill. Need to get a background check and waiting period on those when you go into the auto dealer.

:lol: Jesus you people are desperate. Guns are designed to do what? SUV's are designed to do what? Feel stupid yet?

Probably not, making a comparison between SUV's and guns already show that you are unable to experience embarrassment.

SUVs are inherently unstable and their weight causes far greating killing and maiming than economy size car of less mass.

And water is wet and cows have more than one stomach. But I dont think this is random facts time. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

:lol: Jesus you people are desperate. Guns are designed to do what? SUV's are designed to do what? Feel stupid yet?

Probably not, making a comparison between SUV's and guns already show that you are unable to experience embarrassment.

SUVs are inherently unstable and their weight causes far greating killing and maiming than economy size car of less mass.

And water is wet and cows have more than one stomach. But I dont think this is random facts time. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

I never killed a thing with my guns.

SUV's are assualt vehicles. Black ones are double assault-ee.

should be on folks prescribed hardcore pyschotropic pharmeceutical drugs.
Folks can wait 3 days for their dope.
After all, people do not kill people. Guns and drugs do.

And to think, I thought messageboard masturbation was impossible....

Don't forget the SUVs that also kill. Need to get a background check and waiting period on those when you go into the auto dealer.

Guns are Designed to Protect the Wielder from Harm. What is your point dude. The Fact is More People are killed by Morons in Cars than Morons with Guns ever year.

Period.

Which is why we need a three day waiting period to buy a car.

should be on folks prescribed hardcore pyschotropic pharmeceutical drugs.
Folks can wait 3 days for their dope.
After all, people do not kill people. Guns and drugs do.

Here in NYC you dont have to wait at all.
You can go to any alley way and get any gun you want...right there on the spot.

Yeah but, seriously, who's going to do that? See, the problem is that too many people think that murderers, rapists, gang-bangers, and burglars are bad people. All we have to do is make a law, and they'll follow it. The only reason they end up with legal problems is because they're misunderstood and society has failed them. They really are good people! They'll follow the law, really!

Guns are designed to shoot things...What you do while holding it is not in the schematics. The point is...Suvs are designed to do something completely different. If people are going to play this game of pretending everything that can kill you is like a gun. Then first, it's a stupid comparison, second the person making the comparison is an idiot.

Why does it matter what they're "designed" to do? What difference does that make? A frying pan is designed to cook food. Does that make it any less a deadly weapon in the hands of someone swinging it at your head? Inanimate objects are exactly that: INANIMATE OBJECTS. They are nothing, except that for which HUMANS use them. Anyone who fails to understand THAT is an idiot.

Holmes had loads of dope in him yet folks blame it on the guns.

Cause and effect. No matter how much dope he consumed, without guns it would have been much more difficult to kill and maim so many so quickly. Arson, maybe, or a bomb but neither method is easier or more effective than a high volociety semi automatic firearm with a large capacity magazine.

The ability to fire rounds with little recoil at the rate of one per second or so is likely a more effective and surer way to kill and maim a large population than arson or a bomb, unless the bomb is huge.

I have to go back and recheck my facts, but weren't the hijackers on 9/11 supposedly armed with box cutters? How many people did they kill again? NYC has some of the toughest gun laws in the country, yet that did not even slow them down, and they killed 6 times the people Holmes did.

An intelligent person might rethink their rhetoric here, will you?

I have no problem with a state doing a background check. I have a huge problem with the federal govt knowing what's in my arsenal. I'm 100 percent against any type of federal registry.

I don't know, seems like a rational step to me.

In return, you'll be able to have all the guns you want, and carry them around to boot.

And criminals and psychopaths will be denied access.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me...

Wanna bet?

Guns are designed to shoot things...What you do while holding it is not in the schematics. The point is...Suvs are designed to do something completely different. If people are going to play this game of pretending everything that can kill you is like a gun. Then first, it's a stupid comparison, second the person making the comparison is an idiot.

Why does it matter what they're "designed" to do? What difference does that make? A frying pan is designed to cook food. Does that make it any less a deadly weapon in the hands of someone swinging it at your head? Inanimate objects are exactly that: INANIMATE OBJECTS. They are nothing, except that for which HUMANS use them. Anyone who fails to understand THAT is an idiot.

Design and purpose matters...I know it doesnt matter to those who want to compare SUVs to guns.

Yeah, I'm with Tuck.

How can you scream about needing to verify voters, which is the most important right a citizen has...

And then say you don't need to have your identity verified to purchase a weapon?

It just doesn't make sense.

Now, again, I am all for every citizen having the right to own and carry firearms.

I just think there should be some reason applied to the distribution process.

Existing law already requires ID. Unless you think you can be anonymous and go through a background check.

Right wingers want a higher level of proof and eligibility on the right to vote than to purchase assault rifles with 30 shot clips.

States do a background check when someone purchases a gun. Whats the higher proof that everyone should have an ID when they vote? I have no problem providing an ID for background checks on guns or voting.

Most states allow private sales with no background check. Some states allow selling guns at gun shows, with no background check.

So?

By the way, sales at gun shows are subject to the exact same background checks as sales at gun shops.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back