21 Day Challenge: post without name calling.

Splitting hairs I know, but if a person is being willfully stupid which by definition is being ignorant and you say, your are an ignoramus, is that name calling or proper identification?

THE THREE SIEVES

A LITTLE boy one day ran indoors from school and called out eagerly: "Oh, mother, what do you think of Tom Jones? I have just heard that ——"

"Wait a minute, my boy. Have you put what you have heard through the three sieves before you tell it to me?"

"Sieves, mother! What do you mean?"

"Well, the first sieve is called Truth. Is it true?"

"Well, I don't really know, but Bob Brown said that Charlie told him that Tom ——"

"That's very roundabout. What about the second sieve — Kindness. Is it kind?"

"Kind! No, I can't say it is kind."

"Now the third sieve — Necessity. Will it go through that? Must you tell this tale?"

"No, mother, I need not repeat it."

"Well, then, my boy, if it is not necessary, not kind, and perhaps not true, let the story die."

Quaker tale.

Name calling could be interpreted as labeling too. Also I use a name here, so if someone uses it, is it name calling. I presume name usage that can be understood clearly by another poster as negative is the objective? Probably not going to participate as I reserve the option of returning a negative label to those who start with me. In fact, I rarely if ever start it.
My kids often use the "he/she started it". What if you didn't return a negative label?

I think you just called me immature. Dhara's out.

But but but...did she really 'call you' immature? :eusa_think:

Hey I gave her a pass already...

Splitting hairs I know, but if a person is being willfully stupid which by definition is being ignorant and you say, your are an ignoramus, is that name calling or proper identification?
First of all, you would have to claim omnipotence to know whether a person is "willfully stupid" or not. It's an opinion, isn't it?

Good example post Mary. We don't know whether you're sincere or sarcastic.

Name calling could be interpreted as labeling too. Also I use a name here, so if someone uses it, is it name calling. I presume name usage that can be understood clearly by another poster as negative is the objective? Probably not going to participate as I reserve the option of returning a negative label to those who start with me. In fact, I rarely if ever start it.
My kids often use the "he/she started it". What if you didn't return a negative label?

I think you just called me immature. Dhara's out.

But but but...did she really 'call you' immature? :eusa_think:

Hey I gave her a pass already...
I know. Sorry, I didn't see that.

THE THREE SIEVES

A LITTLE boy one day ran indoors from school and called out eagerly: "Oh, mother, what do you think of Tom Jones? I have just heard that ——"

"Wait a minute, my boy. Have you put what you have heard through the three sieves before you tell it to me?"

"Well, I don't really know, but Bob Brown said that Charlie told him that Tom ——"

"Now the third sieve — Necessity. Will it go through that? Must you tell this tale?"

"Well, then, my boy, if it is not necessary, not kind, and perhaps not true, let the story die."

Quaker tale.
I ain't becoming no Christian :eusa_snooty:

THE THREE SIEVES

Quaker tale.
I ain't becoming no Christian :eusa_snooty:
Me either.

It's a piece of cake to insult the hell out of someone and never call them a name. I prefer being direct, though. It's more honest.

It's a piece of cake to insult the hell out of someone and never call them a name. I prefer being direct, though. It's more honest.
arnold-schwarzenegger-funny-face.gif

First of all, you would have to claim omnipotence to know whether a person is "willfully stupid" or not. It's an opinion, isn't it?

If you make a statement, provide a link to the pertinent facts and the person refuses to read it or acknowledge it, then it is willful ignorance. The word exists because it is possible to distinguish. Now you point out it may not be kind, but it could also be helpful/kind to enlighten the person to their error and correct it for their benefit. That is kindness.

I can refrain from negative speech, in this thread. Most of you follow me around the board, so this should be interesting. :ahole-1:

If you make a statement, provide a link to the pertinent facts and the person refuses to read it or acknowledge it, then it is willful ignorance. The word exists because it is possible to distinguish. Now you point out it may not be kind, but it could also be helpful/kind to enlighten the person to their error and correct it for their benefit. That is kindness.
Constructively criticise then?

I can refrain from negative speech, in this thread. Most of you follow me around the board, so this should be interesting. :ahole-1:

Constructively criticise then?

Hey I have a green smiley fail here. A thousand apologies. I clicked on the first one and well shame on me.

Hmm, I understand your point. I think it makes a difference what's in your heart. If you genuinely care for the person or if it's all about being "right" or righteous. Do you see what I'm saying?

Forum List

Back