2 Studies: Marijuana raises risk of heart attack, heart failure and stroke by up to a THIRD

PCP is worse than heroin, so let’s legalize heroin!

That's got nothing to do with weed which is nothing but a fucking plant with no chemical additive or processing needed

AND a plant that has been used by humans for literally millions of fucking years.

At some level, sugar is necessary for life. It is the fuel on which our bodies run, and without it, we would die. In modern times, it is very easy to get more sugar than we need, more than is good for us. As a diabetic, I am very much aware of this.

But a complete absence of sugar would be more deadly than any excess thereof.
Correct, but sometime back I read about a fairly large African community in which there was some obesity, but not a single case of diabetes. Not type 1 or type II. I didn't delve into why all the people in that village were tested but maybe it was because the article said the people consumed no refined sugar of any kind, no honey, nothing other than the natural sweet in plants/fruit they consumed. The point was that if no refined or concentrated sugar is consumed, no diabetes develops. Whether that is true or not I do not pretend to know but it's just one of those bits of information I filed away in the back of my head.

But you are correct that humans do need sugar in the form of glucose and our liver converts the carbohydrates we consume into glucose that the body can use. It's just that we probably would all be healthier if we consumed no refined products of any kind including sugar. But maybe not as happy. :)

(I often have diabetics at my dinner table and find out in advance what most spikes their blood sugar so I can avoid those. And I do plan sweet treats that don't include refined sugar and they can tolerate for desserts.)

Last edited:
Do you ever listen to the list of side effects for the drugs they are pushing on the TV? Holy cow!
Yes and it is absolutely horrifying. And ridiculous as so many of the side effect they are required to recite are very rare. I would say that the rule for advertising would be to say that like in all medications, side effects for this medication have been observed. Please read the side effects that could occur that are included are included with your product and do inform your doctor before taking this product.

That should be entirely sufficient.

Yes and it is absolutely horrifying. And ridiculous as so many of the side effect they are required to recite are very rare. I would say that the rule for advertising would be to say that like in all medications, side effects for this medication have been observed. Please read the side effects that could occur that are included are included with your product and do inform your doctor before taking this product.

That should be entirely sufficient.

You've surely, also noticed some advertisements for drugs, that don't actually tell you anything about what the drug is supposed to do, or what conditions it is supposed to treat? They just give you some very vague depiction of your life being better, if you use that drug, and then tell you to ask your doctor if that drug is right for you.

Turns out, this is all a relic of the system of laws and regulations that we have in place, regarding how drugs are to be advertised. If an advertisement tells you anything about what the drug is actually supposed to do, then it is required also to tell us about every possible side effect that it is known that this drug might have, however unlikely.

So, you get two kinds of drug advertisements; those that don't tell you anything at all useful, just to plant the idea in your head that you should ask your doctor if you should be on that drug; and those that tell you what the drug is for, along with a long, scary list of possible side effects.

You've surely, also noticed some advertisements for drugs, that don't actually tell you anything about what the drug is supposed to do, or what conditions it is supposed to treat? They just give you some very vague depiction of your life being better, if you use that drug, and then tell you to ask your doctor if that drug is right for you.

Turns out, this is all a relic of the system of laws and regulations that we have in place, regarding how drugs are to be advertised. If an advertisement tells you anything about what the drug is actually supposed to do, then it is required also to tell us about every possible side effect that it is known that this drug might have, however unlikely.

So, you get two kinds of drug advertisements; those that don't tell you anything at all useful, just to plant the idea in your head that you should ask your doctor if you should be on that drug; and those that tell you what the drug is for, along with a long, scary list of possible side effects.
All pharmaceuticals that make any kind of medical claim are subject to FDA approval and regulation by the federal and state governments. But yes some are far more vague than others, but they ALL don't provide a lot of information of how the drug works.

But all advertising should tell us to consult our doctor before taking the drug, even over the counter drugs, and to read the list of side effects included with the drug before taking the drug.

Some supplements sold by health food stores and such do not make any specific medical claims and hedge with "may help with. . ." and these are either totally unregulated or difficult to regulate. My personal physician--her specialty is internal medicine--doesn't like them because she doesn't trust them to be honest in listing the ingredients in them. Most especially those supposed to boost brain power and such. She does approve supplements honestly sold as Vitamins or minerals, but almost all of those have FDA approval as well.

If you want Americans to work hard then they are entitled to forms of relaxation. Even if it's not legal they will go for their stuff
As it should be.

If you want Americans to work hard then they are entitled to forms of relaxation. Even if it's not legal they will go for their stuff
As it should be.
It doesn't have as much to do with work as it does just being human.

Humans have been altering their consciousnesses with substances ever since there has been humans

It doesn't have as much to do with work as it does just being human.

Humans have been altering their consciousnesses with substances ever since there has been humans
I can't argue that
However Americans in general are overworked, stressed, a ridden with anxiety. Too many commitments too many hours spent running to work, etc. They're tired out. They see no light at the end of the tunnel. And we expect them to carry on as if things are somehow wonderful. It's always been this way. It's just getting worse with each decade.

I can't argue that
However Americans in general are overworked, stressed, a ridden with anxiety. Too many commitments too many hours spent running to work, etc. They're tired out. They see no light at the end of the tunnel. And we expect them to carry on as if things are somehow wonderful. It's always been this way. It's just getting worse with each decade.
That's the narrative but Americans are also really good at inventing problems that aren't really there

Forum List

Back