Panhandlers: Do They Really Need Help Or Is It A Scam?

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
I saw a lady with a young girl, perhaps 10 years old, at a busy redlight/intersection holding a sign asking for help a couple of days ago. It was a big sign written in bock letters exactly like the sign shown in this video.

On many occasions I have given a few bucks to a person asking for help. I am confident that some of the people I've given to were actually in need. I am also very confident that some were scammers. Each time I give directly to someone I realize I might be giving to a con artist, but I tend to error on the side of helping someone when the cost is low -- I will never miss the 5 bucks.

When I saw the lady with the sign asking for help, it pulled at my heart partly because she had a child with her. On the other hand, my internal scam-o-meter was alerting me that she was most likely a scammer. I choose not to error on the side of helping her for a few reasons. 1. She seemed to well organized to really be so needy and her sign was too well made. 2. At the intersection she was at I know she would be able to bring in hundreds of dollars from other people. And 3. I was not in the proper lane of traffic to give her anything.

Having to just happen on to the youtube video in my opening post, I am convinced the lady I saw is part of that organized group of con artists. I saw her at the same intersection for 2 days straight. Gone on the 3rd day (yesterday). I suspect that they go from town to town and collect as much money as they can and then move on.

I would rather err by giving money to someone who did not need it, than err by not giving money to someone who needs it.

It is a scam for some. A retired man I knew was financially well off but would pan handle making 7,500.00 a year pan handling tax free.

Some younger ones in CA post truth. Yes, I could lie but I need more drugs & booze etc. Please help me,

i imagine they do quite well.

All scammers. Donate to an organization that helps the poor instead. Truly poor people know where all these organizations are and are likely well known to them. The Salvation Army is a good one.
The man or woman on the busy intersection with a sign probably is a scammer. On the other hand, once I met a guy whose car ran out of gas and he walked to the gas station where I met him. I helped him out and gave him a ride to his car. I don't think he was a scammer....too much trouble for too little benefit.

I have also given a few bucks to people that appear to be homeless asking to buy something to eat. I know the money may actually be for booze or drugs.......but sometimes it may actually be for food. One time I actually went into the restaurant ate a meal with the person I helped.

Only Gullibles would imagine that it was otherwise .

Did the soppy video person really imagine that immigrants with nothing would not learn from the greatest scam artists in the world ?

I once took a panhandler to a cafe after he asked me for money for food. I knew he wanted it for booze, and he almost choked his hamburger. Afterword I gave him a few dollars and told him to "have one on me."

I once took a panhandler to a cafe after he asked me for money for food. I knew he wanted it for booze, and he almost choked his hamburger. Afterword I gave him a few dollars and told him to "have one on me."
I had one tell me one time in Reno that he wanted to get drunk, so I got him drunk!

Be honest with me about what it is for and usually I will oblige!

Scammers! There are quite a few in the MD/DC/VA region that will have their kids and sometimes pets with them, trying to trigger peoples' sympathy in hopes of being handed more money. Most of them are strategic in where they "plan" to hang out on any particular day. Usually it's around busy shopping centers located at major intersections. I've seen one group get out of a newer Honda Civic, another "family" get out of a newer soccer mom van, and one man that walked across the street into a parking lot only to get into a new Ford Raptor. None of these people look like they are homeless or on the verge of being homeless. Their clothes are clean, not tattered or ragged, hair is clean, shoes look fairly new. Until local areas start cracking down on the panhandling, it won't end.

Just watched this vid. I don't think this dude is a scammer, but I do think he was laying it on a bit thick.

Just watched this vid. I don't think this dude is a scammer, but I do think he was laying it on a bit thick.

On second thought, the man's clothes look clean. His hair is cut short and beard is trimmed. Hmmmmmmmm! This whole thing could be a skit for all I know, a performance put on for youtube.

I saw a lady with a young girl, perhaps 10 years old, at a busy redlight/intersection holding a sign asking for help a couple of days ago. It was a big sign written in bock letters exactly like the sign shown in this video.

On many occasions I have given a few bucks to a person asking for help. I am confident that some of the people I've given to were actually in need. I am also very confident that some were scammers. Each time I give directly to someone I realize I might be giving to a con artist, but I tend to error on the side of helping someone when the cost is low -- I will never miss the 5 bucks.

When I saw the lady with the sign asking for help, it pulled at my heart partly because she had a child with her. On the other hand, my internal scam-o-meter was alerting me that she was most likely a scammer. I choose not to error on the side of helping her for a few reasons. 1. She seemed to well organized to really be so needy and her sign was too well made. 2. At the intersection she was at I know she would be able to bring in hundreds of dollars from other people. And 3. I was not in the proper lane of traffic to give her anything.

Most of the people I see on the corners begging are clearly in dire straits. Some are scammers but I've never seen so many dirty, crippled, skinny people on the streets.

Forum List

Back