2 Grown Men and a 13 Yr Girl

I once took a trip with a friend of mine to audit some courses at the University of Chicago.

We were parked in a park between Chicago's South Side and Hyde Park and slept in my car for the night, and some damn cop woke us up. Fucker.

I learned then at nineteen it is illegal to sleep in your car in a metropolitan area.

He told us we had to move along.

I'm willing to bet we got off easy since we were white college kids.
These dudes got hand cuffed and detained for I believe 11 hours and the girl was handed over to CPS.

I would guess the excuse given would be because;

1) It is illegal behavior, even I know that.

and

2) She is a minor.

There is no way in hell I would ever sleep in a car in an urban are with my minor son. I know the consequences. It is simply bad parenting. I care too much about my kid to get into that kind of trouble.

I understand the girl going to CPS and an investigation being launched into her welfare, OTH, unless these guys had a previous criminal record, I can't really understand being detained for that long. However, I wasn't there, I didn't run their info, nor to I have all the facts.

We must guard against the belief that the police state is racially motivated though. It destroys and interferes with the rights of all citizens. We should all be alarmed and outraged at its excesses against any citizen, and not make it an issue of race.
Not everyone knows its illegal to sleep in your car. It doesnt even make any apparent sense it would be illegal. If youre tired and you pull over so you wont be a danger to other motorists one would assume it was ok to catch some sleep.

I'm going with the racially motivated for 2 reasons. The kept the guys for 11 hours. They could have cleared it up right there if they werent racists.

The state provides rest areas, and towns and cities provide hotels and motels.

If you are old enough to drive, you know that vagrancy is against the law. Or, experiences like this teach you very quickly. lol

What is the big deal? Oh, I know, the media took this case, b/c it involved some black youths, focused it, highlighted it, and dramatized it, to make it a "racial" thing.

Trust me, it isn't.

Those kids learned something.

Maybe you did too.
The only reason the media ran with it was because all parties involved believed it was racial profiling. I'm inclined to believe the people that experienced it first hand. I know even driving alone in the wrong part of my state is dangerous for a Black person.

“Are you aware that your daughter is with two black men?” the cop on the line allegedly asked.

Pretty sure it was racial profiling.

. . . allegedly asked. . . . .

This isn't news, really, it isn't. Even if it is, are you surprised that there are folks out there that have in group preferences? You have them, why are others not allowed to have them?

It isn't about that department, it is about that one individual. Let go of the hate man.

You're reacting exactly like the media wants you to react. Stop being their puppet.
Yes They say allegedly since it wasnt proven in court and legally they can be sued.

No I'm not surprised. I was asking what someone with common sense would do. I dont mind if others have group preferences but I dont know what that has to do with this case.

Its probably is about the entire area including that PD, It was more than one cop involved in this.

I disagree I am being a puppet. I just asked a question. What would you do? Where do you stop trying to make this an issue? You give the guys a warning after you make sure the minor is indeed supposed to be with them and leave it alone. You dont cuff them, send the child to CPS and then tell the mother she is a bad parent for letting her child ride with 2 Black men.

Actually the article doesn't say they were sleeping in the car, but they had just stopped there @ 3am & the cops started questioning them.

I think it was right for the cops to be suspicious & to question them.......but if the guys didn't have a record, & reviewing the letters from the parents & calling them to verify....they could have also called the Dance Academy to further verify the story.......then they should have dropped it.

Depending on the jurisdiction, in most of them, sleeping in your car is against the law.

The local motel and hotel industry, along with the trade groups have passed ordinances making that a crime.

Fair enough. However, they had a note from her parents with phone numbers. It seems a bit much to haul them all in with handcuffs. While it may be against the law to sleep in your car, it's very seldom something you get arrested for. The officers should have had dispatch call and confirm things, then sent them on their way.

I think this is a clear case of racial profiling. I am not someone who is opposed to any and all racial profiling, I believe there are times when it's appropriate, this just isn't one of them.

I completely agree.

OTH, I am currently raising a teenager I know how what teens are.

And black youths? Forget about it.

Also, when I was in my twenties I lived in the center of a city near the east side of an urban center and hung out with/partied with, etc. black & chicano teens/twenties regularly. I know the attitude they can take when confronted with the fuzz. It is really SO wildly and weirdly different than how I was raised to deal with the po-po.

While we both viewed them as "antagonistic," their coping mechanism with the 5-0 seemed to me idiotic, antagonistic, and down right stupid. Even if you were completely innocent of everything, they would want to MAKE the cops hassle them. I just didn't get it.

My folks raised me to understand these guys were human, carrying a gun, invested with the authority of the state to use it. As such, you just act like their bitch until you can get them to go away. Why make trouble?

OTH, I do know the type of folks that become cops, and they tend, on balance, to be racist pricks. That is the nature of the beast.

Actually the article doesn't say they were sleeping in the car, but they had just stopped there @ 3am & the cops started questioning them.

I think it was right for the cops to be suspicious & to question them.......but if the guys didn't have a record, & reviewing the letters from the parents & calling them to verify....they could have also called the Dance Academy to further verify the story.......then they should have dropped it.

Landry Thompson, 13, Taken Into Custody After Dozing Off In Dance Instructor's Car | The Huffington Post

"“We were on the GPS trying to figure out where the hotel was and we sat there and we dozed off,” Hurd said, according to NewsOn6.com."

Seems you're doing a lot of "assuming". Suppose the cops had been afraid of being labeled racist and let the three of them go, then later the girl was found dead? Would that have been a better outcome? Looks like the cops did the right thing.

Seems you're doing a lot of "assuming". Suppose the cops had been afraid of being labeled racist and let the three of them go, then later the girl was found dead? Would that have been a better outcome? Looks like the cops did the right thing.
Dead of what? If a cow had nuts it would be a bull. She still left with the guys and survived. What makes you think they would kill her?

Why would you assume that?
Life experience.
What, that every cop is white?
No that they go overboard where Black men are involved. I also want to thank Norm Stamper as another reason I assume they were all white.
How did they go overboard? Didn't you say you agreed with what they did?
I agreed that they took the time to question them. Once someone produces a document that explains whats going on with phone numbers to verify the story then the cops should have given it a rest. They didnt. They cuffed the guys and the girl. They kept the guys in custody for 11 hours and sent the girl to CPS
The document could have been fake. And how do phone numbers verify the story?

Depending on the jurisdiction, in most of them, sleeping in your car is against the law.

The local motel and hotel industry, along with the trade groups have passed ordinances making that a crime.

Fair enough. However, they had a note from her parents with phone numbers. It seems a bit much to haul them all in with handcuffs. While it may be against the law to sleep in your car, it's very seldom something you get arrested for. The officers should have had dispatch call and confirm things, then sent them on their way.

I think this is a clear case of racial profiling. I am not someone who is opposed to any and all racial profiling, I believe there are times when it's appropriate, this just isn't one of them.

I completely agree.

Also, when I was in my twenties I lived in the center of a city near the east side of an urban center and hung out with/partied with, etc. black & chicano teens/twenties regularly. I know the attitude they can take when confronted with the fuzz. It is really SO wildly and weirdly different than how I was raised to deal with the po-po.

While we both viewed them as "antagonistic," their coping mechanism with the 5-0 seemed to me idiotic, antagonistic, and down right stupid. Even if you were completely innocent of everything, they would want to MAKE the cops hassle them. I just didn't get it.

My folks raised me to understand these guys were human, carrying a gun, invested with the authority of the state to use it. As such, you just act like their bitch until you can get them to go away. Why make trouble?

OTH, I do know the type of folks that become cops, and they tend, on balance, to be racist pricks. That is the nature of the beast.
Black, Chicano's from urban areas live in code of honor society. Being anyones bitch is detrimental to your health.

I once took a trip with a friend of mine to audit some courses at the University of Chicago.

We were parked in a park between Chicago's South Side and Hyde Park and slept in my car for the night, and some damn cop woke us up. Fucker.

I learned then at nineteen it is illegal to sleep in your car in a metropolitan area.

He told us we had to move along.

I'm willing to bet we got off easy since we were white college kids.
These dudes got hand cuffed and detained for I believe 11 hours and the girl was handed over to CPS.

and

2) She is a minor.

There is no way in hell I would ever sleep in a car in an urban are with my minor son. I know the consequences. It is simply bad parenting. I care too much about my kid to get into that kind of trouble.

I understand the girl going to CPS and an investigation being launched into her welfare, OTH, unless these guys had a previous criminal record, I can't really understand being detained for that long. However, I wasn't there, I didn't run their info, nor to I have all the facts.

We must guard against the belief that the police state is racially motivated though. It destroys and interferes with the rights of all citizens. We should all be alarmed and outraged at its excesses against any citizen, and not make it an issue of race.
Not everyone knows its illegal to sleep in your car. It doesnt even make any apparent sense it would be illegal. If youre tired and you pull over so you wont be a danger to other motorists one would assume it was ok to catch some sleep.

I'm going with the racially motivated for 2 reasons. The kept the guys for 11 hours. They could have cleared it up right there if they werent racists.

So you ran their licenses and know what their priors were?
Who me? The cops did all that. Do you honestly believe it took 11 hours to do that? They werent arrested for sleeping in the car at all.

That's my point my friend.

It is not for us to make that sort of a judgement. The press WANTS you to be outraged, so they don't give you all of the facts.

You don't know what their criminal records are. You have no idea why they were held for 11 hours. For all we know, the police were being super lenient and letting them go really quickly because they had to make their competition, when ordinarily, they would have been held over for some trial they missed or put in the pokey for parking violations. . . who knows?

But if the slant of this article was to make the police look bad, do you think the reporter would have made the department cooperating with these guys lawyers in a quick fashion a focus of the article? Of course not. It doesn't serve the social engineering or the paper selling goals of the corporation.

I'm not saying such a scenario did, or would happen, all I am saying, is we DON'T KNOW why they were held for that long. It's easy to think the worst.

Life experience.
No that they go overboard where Black men are involved. I also want to thank Norm Stamper as another reason I assume they were all white.
I agreed that they took the time to question them. Once someone produces a document that explains whats going on with phone numbers to verify the story then the cops should have given it a rest. They didnt. They cuffed the guys and the girl. They kept the guys in custody for 11 hours and sent the girl to CPS
True however if your a cop and you call a number and ask questions its pretty easy to verify. There is a reason cops separate people. They are trying to see if the stories match.

Dead of what? If a cow had nuts it would be a bull. She still left with the guys and survived. What makes you think they would kill her?
I thought you said they were detained. And I didn't say they would kill her, I said what if she had turned up dead.

I completely agree.

Black, Chicano's from urban areas live in code of honor society. Being anyones bitch is detrimental to your health.

lol. I'm aware.

Most of them ended up dead, in jail, or in prison.

I'm not.

They are pretty stupid. That is the point.

Great bunch of guys though, fun as hell to hang out with. They should have just left that code in the yard.

True however if your a cop and you call a number and ask questions its pretty easy to verify. There is a reason cops separate people. They are trying to see if the stories match.
Why is it easy to verify? You don't know who is on the other end of the phone.

and

2) She is a minor.

So you ran their licenses and know what their priors were?
Who me? The cops did all that. Do you honestly believe it took 11 hours to do that? They werent arrested for sleeping in the car at all.

That's my point my friend.

It is not for us to make that sort of a judgement. The press WANTS you to be outraged, so they don't give you all of the facts.

You don't know what their criminal records are. You have no idea why they were held for 11 hours. For all we know, the police were being super lenient and letting them go really quickly because they had to make their competition, when ordinarily, they would have been held over for some trial they missed or put in the pokey for parking violations. . . who knows?

But if the slant of this article was to make the police look bad, do you think the reporter would have made the department cooperating with these guys lawyers in a quick fashion a focus of the article? Of course not. It doesn't serve the social engineering or the paper selling goals of the corporation.

I'm not saying such a scenario did, or would happen, all I am saying, is we DON'T KNOW why they were held for that long. It's easy to think the worst.
I wasnt outraged. To me it was an expected result. i was just wondering where the tipping point was in regards to common sense. At what point does it prove it was a racial profiling incident?

Even if they had criminal records what is the problem with that if they have already served their time? That doesnt even weigh into the equation. If they were wanted then that would be the only thing that made sense and they would have been held. Then the headline would have been "white teen saved from Black felons on the run".

You cant excuse their behavior after a certain point. It was clearly a racial thing.

I completely agree.

lol. I'm aware.

Most of them ended up dead, in jail, or in prison.

I'm not.

They are pretty stupid. That is the point.

Great bunch of guys though, fun as hell to hang out with. They should have just left that code in the yard.
Same here. Most of my childhood friends are dead or in prison. I dont know how I got lucky enough to make it out alive. Most kids are stupid long into their 20's. Its just more dangerous for Blacks and to an extent Latinos due to racism.

Go talk to a cop and he will explain it to you if you dont believe the following....

You ask the two guys and the girl their stories seperately. You then make the call and ask for verification of the information they gave you by asking questions that force the person responding to fill in the story. If there are any inconsistencies you know someone is lying.

Go talk to a cop and he will explain it to you if you dont believe the following....

You ask the two guys and the girl their stories seperately. You then make the call and ask for verification of the information they gave you by asking questions that force the person responding to fill in the story. If there are any inconsistencies you know someone is lying.
And how do you know there were no inconsistencies? Or are you just assuming again?

Forum List

Back