1969 H&R 930 .22 Revolver

I saw one at my LGS and it's GTG as best as I can tell it's GTG. I figure I'll get one when they come out with a shorter barrel length version.

I'd never use the .22 Mag cylinder most likely for the reasons explained above but I like the idea of the adjustable sights.

Another benefit of the Wrangler is that you can do the "10 second trigger job" on them....Just remove one grip panel, and drop one leg of the hammer spring off it's stud. It reduces the pull by half.
I like the look of that Ruger compared to my Heritage.
Now you've got me wanting one.

If memory serves it was $259.00 or so.

$249 Cheaper than Dirt. Exchangeable mag cylinder.

Last edited:
$249 pm Cheaper than Dirt. Exchangeable mag cylinder.

Folks forget about the added cost of shipping and transfer.....If they offer free shipping like Buds then that's a plus.

If memory serves it was $259.00 or so.

I bought one of these awhile back.

The thing is a bitch to work with. I wouldn't recommend it.

No more revolvers. Go with Glock or similar.
Haven't dems taught you anything?

Revolvers are just fine. I am a bit of a gun snob though. I admit it. Cheap guns just don't interest me.

They never have. I like the fit and finish of a good old Colt or S&W. They just feel better.

Yes, they are spendy, but, you truly do get what you pay for.

Revolvers are just fine. I am a bit of a gun snob though. I admit it. Cheap guns just don't interest me.

They never have. I like the fit and finish of a good old Colt or S&W. They just feel better.

I'm a bit leery of semi-auto .22. Because they aren't as well made they have a tendency to jam.
That's why I would rather have a .22 revolver.
Less chance of misfires and malfunctions.

I'm a bit leery of semi-auto .22. Because they aren't as well made they have a tendency to jam.
That's why I would rather have a .22 revolver.
Less chance of misfires and malfunctions.

I have several High Standards, and a couple of Colt Woodsmans.

So long as you have OEM magazines they are reliable as hell.

One of my High Standards is a WWII OSS suppressed example, and even it is reliable. Suppressors usually cause problems on .22 pistols, but not that one.

I have a Ciener suppressed Ruger .22 as well, and old MK I, and it never fails either.

But, they are all full sized pistols. The only small automatic pistols that I know are reliable are the Walther TPH, and the Beretta 21A.

I have both and they are excellent deep concealment pistols. The operation of the 21A is superior to the Walther though.

That's a fact but it's also a shame that there are not more offerings in the less expensive .22 revolver world.

The old High Standard, H&R, Single Six revolvers might not win beauty contests but they flat out worked and held-up as well as the Colt or S&Ws. In fact you could go as far as saying they hold up better with rough use in a practical sense.

Every outdoorsman I ever knew never carried their prized Colts or S&Ws, they babied them, they would take care of business with a HS, Ruger, or H&R.

My dad's old HS Sentinel revolver looks like warmed over shit from decades of trap-line carry but it works just fine.

The gold standard as far as reliability in tough conditions in a semi-auto .22 has to be the Ruger Standard. I've never seen a Ruger Standard choke on anything.

Oh, one "newer" overlooked .22 is the Bersa Thunder .22. It works great in a Walther PP sized package.....Mags are pricey though.

That's a fact but it's also a shame that there are not more offerings in the less expensive .22 revolver world.

The old High Standard, H&R, Single Six revolvers might not win beauty contests but they flat out worked and held-up as well as the Colt or S&Ws. In fact you could go as far as saying they hold up better with rough use in a practical sense.

Every outdoorsman I ever knew never carried their prized Colts or S&Ws, they babied them, they would take care of business with a HS, Ruger, or H&R.

My dad's old HS Sentinel revolver looks like warmed over shit from decades of trap-line carry but it works just fine.

The gold standard as far as reliability in tough conditions in a semi-auto .22 has to be the Ruger Standard. I've never seen a Ruger Standard choke on anything.

Oh, one "newer" overlooked .22 is the Bersa Thunder .22. It works great in a Walther PP sized package.....Mags are pricey though.
This is why I like these threads. I've never been a classic "Gun-Nut". I've just always been good at hitting what I shoot at.
When I was on a team they trained us how to shoot. I discovered just how little I knew about shooting during SOT school at Ft Bragg in the 90s. All of the day and night range time we went thru to qualify expert. For a solid month I was shooting a Beretta 9mm 16 hrs a day. I may not have known about every technical aspect of what I was firing.....but I learned from some of the best instructors in America, how to shoot properly and safely. One of our instructors was in the Olympics and he could shoot a smiley face at 50 meters on a target using 12 gauge slugs.

I was always good at shooting. I just know I don't know everything. That's why I like these kinds of threads.

I have several High Standards, and a couple of Colt Woodsmans.

So long as you have OEM magazines they are reliable as hell.

One of my High Standards is a WWII OSS suppressed example, and even it is reliable. Suppressors usually cause problems on .22 pistols, but not that one.

I have a Ciener suppressed Ruger .22 as well, and old MK I, and it never fails either.

But, they are all full sized pistols. The only small automatic pistols that I know are reliable are the Walther TPH, and the Beretta 21A.

I have both and they are excellent deep concealment pistols. The operation of the 21A is superior to the Walther though.
My team SGT at Ft Campbell went to the sniper school in Quantico Virginia.
He showed me an Iraqi bill with Saddam's face on it. He put a round thru his forehead. I can't remember the distance.

He told me all kinds of stories about some of his stalks to set up for a shot. One time he ran into a Hornet's nest, literally.
He still got the shot and passed. The Jarheads there thought that was Hooah. He probably got stung a dozen times and still made the shot.

My team SGT at Ft Campbell went to the sniper school in Quantico Virginia.
He showed me an Iraqi bill with Saddam's face on it. He put a round thru his forehead. I can't remember the distance.

He told me all kinds stories about some of his stalks to set up for a shot. One time he ran into a Hornet's nest, literally.
He still got the shot and passed. The Jarheads there thought that was Hooah. He probably got stung a dozen times and still made the shot.

Snipers are a special breed. A friend of mine was a Scout/Sniper in the USMC. He served in Korea and Vietnam. He taught me how to shoot properly.

I always had an innate accuracy. But he taught me how to really shoot long range.

Snipers are a special breed. A friend of mine was a Scout/Sniper in the USMC. He served in Korea and Vietnam. He taught me how to shoot properly.

I always had an innate accuracy. But he taught me how to really shoot long range.
You have to have the gift, but you have to follow fundamentals and there's a lot that goes into doing it properly.
It's nice to have a spotter, but when you can't have one....sometimes you only have one shot and it has to be on target the first time, then you have to move or you're dead.

when I was first married we didn't have a lot of money, and I had an H@R top break .22 which actually had an adjustable rear sight and I think was called the sportsman 999. It really shot well, with a decent trigger. I carried it everywhere when I was hunting and shot a lot of rabbits, squirrels, and even some grouse with it. I later traded it for a smith K22 (model 17) which is a lot nicer pistol, but I can't shoot it like that old H@R because it was like a part of me.

We took some of the Marine snipers out in a Blackhawk when I was in Somalia in 93'.
They wanted to do some rooftop dustoffs with us and set up sniper positions, which is kind of ridiculous because if you're going to hide somewhere to shoot someone you'll only draw attention to yourself if you land on a roof with a chopper.
Anyway, the Nightstalker Blackhawk pilots liked pulling this maneuver where they went straight up and then stalled out and then turned and recovered before hitting the ground. I was sitting in front of the Marines watching them, and when we started going up their eyes started to bug out. I was laughing my ass off.

Forum List

Back