My Dad's Trapline Revolver

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I finally brought my dad's old trapline revolver home from up at mom's as it looks like she's going into assisted living. She wanted it there for protection. I offered-up all manner of better weapons for the task but that's what she wanted.

Anyhoo It's a 1956-1960 High Standard R-101 9-shot .22 revolver. I can't remember if he bought to new or used, just that I always remember it being around.....It dispatched many a furbearer.

hs 001 (3).JPG

The holster is a makeshift affair and he had a ramp front site installed when the blade fell out. It's still just fine mechanically, it just looks like warmed-over shit. ;)

More:

Last edited:
I finally brought my dad's old trapline revolver home from up at mom's as it looks like she's going into assisted living. She wanted it there for protection. I offered-up all manner of better weapons for the task but that's what she wanted.

Anyhoo It's a 1956-1960 High Standard R-101 9-shot .22 revolver. I can't remember if he bought to new or used, just that I always remember it being around.....It dispatched many a furbearer.

View attachment 893576

The holster is a makeshift affair and had a ramp front site installed when the blade fell out. It's still just fine mechanically, it just looks like warmed-over shit. ;)

More:

1. Why is it called a trapline revolver?

Other than that, High Standard used to make great .22 pistols. My brother had a High Standard double nine, I wish I had known he was going to sell, years ago. It was a great shooting revolver, even when he shot me with it. Rat shot is painful as hell while your mom digs it out of your leg with tweezers, one bead and a time, while your dad is whipping your brother's ass with a belt.

1. Why is it called a trapline revolver?

Other than that, High Standard used to make great .22 pistols. My brother had a High Standard double nine, I wish I had known he was going to sell, years ago. It was a great shooting revolver, even when he shot me with it. Rat shot is painful as hell while your mom digs it out of your leg with tweezers, one bead and a time, while your dad is whipping your brother's ass with a belt.

It's what he used when trapping.

My "trap line revolver" was a H-S Hombre....Basically a 4" Double-Nine but without the fake cartridge ejector on the side of the barrel.

It's what he used when trapping.

My "trap line revolver" was a H-S Hombre....Basically a 4" Double-Nine but without the fake cartridge ejector on the side of the barrel.
Using it setting out and checking traps, was it mostly for killing snakes or humanly finishing off whatever was in the trap. Closest I ever was to trapping was make snares for a merit badge.

Using it setting out and checking traps, was it mostly for killing snakes or humanly finishing off whatever was in the trap. Closest I ever was to trapping was make snares for a merit badge.
My dad and I used them to dispatch foxes (if we were not going to reuse the set), bobcats, coons, skunks, and the occasional feral or house cat.

I know how it sounds but if you caught a dog in a fox set it would usually be able to pull out of the jaws to the toes and you could let him go not much worse for the wear.....But a damn cat, it would snap it's leg every-damn-time. You never sent kitty home with a broke leg if you ever wanted to fox trap the area again. ;)

LOL....Back in the 70s we were coon trapping the James River and saw a small buck (they were all small down that way) swimming across the river in front of us.....We paddled-up to it in the old Grumman canoe and dad shot in the head with the Sentinel.

I grabbed hold of it's antlers and dad paddled us over to the bank and I pulled it into the canoe....Camp meat!

Back then we stayed a week at a time in a old tobacco barn when I was on Christmas vacation and fresh meat was appreciated. We gave the old black guy who owned it half and he was tickled pink.

Sigh, good times never to be repeated....Lots of work though.

View attachment 893576

The holster is a makeshift affair and he had a ramp front site installed when the blade fell out. It's still just fine mechanically, it just looks like warmed-over shit. ;)

More:

I would take the grips off and boil and oil it.

Then put the grips back on.

Rust. Boiling turns rust back to metal? Somewhat. It kills rust effectively and decisively.

I've taken stuff from the 30s and boiled it, it works. Scissors, bolts, nuts, etc..

Don't do it in a pot you don't want to dedicate to it.

Older stuff..gun bolts..screws, etc..The rust turns black and can be wiped off and oiled up and makes it good.

Last edited:
My dad and I used them to dispatch foxes (if we were not going to reuse the set), bobcats, coons, skunks, and the occasional feral or house cat.

I know how it sounds but if you caught a dog in a fox set it would usually be able to pull out of the jaws to the toes and you could let him go not much worse for the wear.....But a damn cat, it would snap it's leg every-damn-time. You never sent kitty home with a broke leg if you ever wanted to fox trap the area again. ;)

LOL....Back in the 70s we were coon trapping the James River and saw a small buck (they were all small down that way) swimming across the river in front of us.....We paddled-up to it in the old Grumman canoe and dad shot in the head with the Sentinel.

I grabbed hold of it's antlers and dad paddled us over to the bank and I pulled it into the canoe....Camp meat!

Back then we stayed a week at a time in a old tobacco barn when I was on Christmas vacation and fresh meat was appreciated. We gave the old black guy who owned it half and he was tickled pink.

Sigh, good times never to be repeated....Lots of work though.
I was just curious, as not ever a trapper. I have been known to dispatch the odd "coons, skunks, and the occasional feral or house cat.", along with squirrel and rabbit with a .22, as well as the occasional snake. I just never trapped and did not know what kind of trapping you were referring too, and I am that unfamiliar with trapping, but you should know by now, I am hardly the type, you’d have to worry how it sounds.

It does sound like good times.:cool:

I was just curious, as not ever a trapper. I have been known to dispatch the odd "coons, skunks, and the occasional feral or house cat.", along with squirrel and rabbit with a .22, as well as the occasional snake. I just never trapped and did not know what kind of trapping you were referring too, and I am that unfamiliar with trapping, but you should know by now, I am hardly the type, you’d have to worry how it sounds.

It does sound like good times.:cool:I

I was always glad to go home.....Up before daylight, do whatever the trapping chores were for the day, back at camp around dark, eat, then skin/flesh till around midnight.

Forum List

Back