11-year-old girl tasered at school

Yeah I hear you. I never thought it was a teacher anyway, I read the article, I know it was security guards. Instead of tasing her, the guards could have just locked her in the room like you said. I just pointed out that there's really no difference in regards to how the parents would have responded as far as lawsuits go, besides the fact that tasering is obviously worse than locking someone in a room for a little while.

I'll agree with that all day long. I was really responding to those teacher bashers out there who blame everything on the school system. The point I was making to them, is that in a situation like this (in most places) teachers are damned no matter what they do.

My personal opinion was that they should have locked her in room and let her destroy as much as she wanted as long as she wasn't hurting herself or someone else, until she cooled down. Her age is a determining factor in my opinion. If it had been a junior-high or high-school aged kid, the danger would have been greater for the teachers and security guards and tasing would almost certainly have to be an option. But an 11-year-old with no weapons is not going to over-power a male security guard.

Oh wait... You expected them to leave her in that room? And who's to pay for the busted classroom? What about the loss of class time for the other students in that class? The choice to lock her in a room isn't a very viable one.

What is your solution? Let her run a muck and push more students into traffic? OR try to detain her? Like you said, she's a big girl.

There's plenty of tax-dollars and school funds to pay for a room that was destroyed by a student. There isn't alot of tax dollars and school funds to pay a family 10 million for losing a child when another student pushes them into the street, or dies from being tasered (Which has happened when used on children)

If I was the head of the school, paying for a busted up room would be cheaper that paying for a lawsuit settlement for a kid that got tasered. Pull your head out and think realistically.

Leaving her in that room would harm who? No one, unless she started ramming her head against the wall, then tase her.

What is your solution? Let her run a muck and push more students into traffic? OR try to detain her? Like you said, she's a big girl.

There's plenty of tax-dollars and school funds to pay for a room that was destroyed by a student. There isn't alot of tax dollars and school funds to pay a family 10 million for losing a child when another student pushes them into the street, or dies from being tasered (Which has happened when used on children)

If I was the head of the school, paying for a busted up room would be cheaper that paying for a lawsuit settlement for a kid that got tasered. Pull your head out and think realistically.

Leaving her in that room would harm who? No one, unless she started ramming her head against the wall, then tase her.

Gee willikers, what ever did the schools do before tasers?

BrianH said:
My point, is that it is extremely difficult for teachers to do anything in regards to disciplining students, especially when they go ballistic. Teachers are almost required not to defend themselves if student attacks them. They are trained (to a degree) how to detain a student, but if they don't do it in a specific way, they will be punished for that.

What did the schools do before they (teachers and administrators) kowtowed to liberal philosophies? And yes, contrary to what you are saying, I am placing the blame firmly in the hands of the teachers/administrators. They are the ones who join and pay for and support the liberal nonsense coming out of the teachers union. It is liberalism that has brought our schools to this idiotical situation.

Gee willikers, what ever did the schools do before tasers?

What did the schools do before they (teachers and administrators) kowtowed to liberal philosophies? And yes, contrary to what you are saying, I am placing the blame firmly in the hands of the teachers/administrators. They are the ones who join and pay for and support the liberal nonsense coming out of the teachers union. It is liberalism that has brought our schools to this idiotical situation.

Like I said before, you have no clue. IN fact, the majority of teachers in my state would love nothing more than to take the kids outside and give them all a few swats on the ass for misbehaving. It's not the teachers/administration that has adopted this liberal philosophy numnuts, it's the state governments and parents who will sue school districts for looking at their kids the wrong way. This shows how much you know about the school system.

And that's what school systems did before tasers, the whooped their asses outside of class as well as in the office. Most kids today don't even get disciplined by their parents, so you could only imagine how they react when a teacher tries to discipline them.

Like I said before, you have no clue. IN fact, the majority of teachers in my state would love nothing more than to take the kids outside and give them all a few swats on the ass for misbehaving. It's not the teachers/administration that has adopted this liberal philosophy numnuts, it's the state governments and parents who will sue school districts for looking at their kids the wrong way. This shows how much you know about the school system.

And that's what school systems did before tasers, the whooped their asses outside of class as well as in the office. Most kids today don't even get disciplined by their parents, so you could only imagine how they react when a teacher tries to discipline them.

I think it's unfair of you to blame liberals, or conservatives for that matter. The sad fact is that child abusers end up in jobs that keep them around children. Hence all the paranoia about giving a kid a swat on the ass. I think it's a bit stupid to have all this hysteria about something that rarely ever happens, but then again I've raised my kids to know how to handle themselves.

I think it's unfair of you to blame liberals, or conservatives for that matter. The sad fact is that child abusers end up in jobs that keep them around children. Hence all the paranoia about giving a kid a swat on the ass. I think it's a bit stupid to have all this hysteria about something that rarely ever happens, but then again I've raised my kids to know how to handle themselves.

Reread the post above mine, I'm not blaming liberal anything. Screaming Eagle is blaming teachers/administration for adopting liberal philosophies, and causing the problems in the education system, which is certainly untrue. Granted certain people cause certain problems, however, if it were teachers running the show at the higher levels, things would be alot different.

LOL! I guess you didn't really mean this part: It's not the teachers/administration that has adopted this liberal philosophy numnuts

I sympathize with you, btw. Two teachers in the family--one a Bushbot and one a rather sane liberal. Both share similar views when it comes to public school policy.

LOL! I guess you didn't really mean this part: It's not the teachers/administration that has adopted this liberal philosophy numnuts

I sympathize with you, btw. Two teachers in the family--one a Bushbot and one a rather sane liberal. Both share similar views when it comes to public school policy.

fair enough, you called my statment on that...I didn't really mean that it was liberal philosophy, but was throwing that back into his face...or up somewhere else. :cool:

So you would reinforce her belief she can just do as she pleases, she can assault others and no punishment, she can destroy property and no consequence. She can do this when ever and how ever she pleases because by god no one wants to risk a law suit.

See, the way you say that Carter and his ilk ruined the ideology of liberalism, I say Bush and HIS ilk ruined the ideology of conservatism.

ESPECIALLY Rove.

When the economy collapses, and they offer us their "solution" of integrating Mexico, Canada, and us together as one super-state or "union" if you will, with a new currency (which seems to be becoming more and more apparent), will you accept it, or will you join the many people who are already trying their hardest to stop it?

I didn't say anyone ruined the ideology. I said Carter changed what the Democrat Party represented with a wide swing to the left.

If you are going to blame anyone for changing the politics of the GOP, it would be the verysame Jimmy Carter, and Ronald Reagan. Carter's swing the far left left more than a few Democrats with the rug yanked out from under them.

Reagan, a more moderate Republican (and former Democrat) than had been seen up to that time, filled the void. The current crop of Republicans in power represent Reagan conservatism, and that includes Bush.

The current crop of Democrats are almost all extremists IMO, because I remember when Democrats had balls and some common sense to go along with them. As evidenced by the current frontrunning Democratic Presidential candidate.

So you would reinforce her belief she can just do as she pleases, she can assault others and no punishment, she can destroy property and no consequence. She can do this when ever and how ever she pleases because by god no one wants to risk a law suit.

That's not what I said was it? I didn't say to let her loose and let her hurt anyone she wants. What's easily replaceable? A room full of stuff or a life?
Does the girl have to be punished during her rant? I believe that the gaurd probably used the appropriate force for the situation--perhaps the girl was making a violent and threating move towards her. But I also believe that if the girl had been isolated once placed in a room and left alone, she would not have been tasered. When police have a suspect in custody who is not cooperating, they isolate them until they calm down. I would much rather lock a kid in a room and letter tear stuff up than just taser her and face possible lawsuit and losing alot of money.

I would have isolated her until she calmed down, and when she did, she would be made to understand that what she did has consequences. If she kept throwing a fit, then she'd remain isolated. SHe wouldn't get what she wanted until she calmed down and cooperated. If she never cooperated, by then their would be professionals present who could legally detain her without fear of a lawsuit.

But it didn't cost her life. She lived and will most likely think twice about stepping out of line. Would you rather pay the $50,000 to replace the equipment in the classroom if we left her be? Or better yet, let her continue to think it's OK to put smaller children into the street? I'm happy they took control of the situation and did it in a NON-lethal way.

Oh wait... You would rather not confront her at all for pushing a smaller child into TRAFFIC... What about that child's right to go to school safely?

Oh wait... You would rather not confront her at all for pushing a smaller child into TRAFFIC... What about that child's right to go to school safely?

What are you talking about? Your comments do not even reflect anything I've posted. I've never said that the child should not be confronted or punished. And I have never stated that other children do not have the right to go to school safely, you're obviously not reading the posts, and if you are, you're reading them too fast instead of thoroughly. Since when does a child have to be punished while their in the middle of a ballistic rage? Why dont' we start punishing them before they do something....or if they think about doing something. Typically people are punished after they do something, not while they are in the middle of a fit.

They had already confronted the girl, that's what got her into the room where she was throwing frickin desks at them. Hindsights always 20/20 AngelFart, of course she didn't die, but how about these people that did:

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/80463/
http://www.worldproutassembly.org/archives/2007/10/official_invest.html

People also get shot and live too, so does that mean we can start shooting people as a non-lethal means?

Since when has classroom had $50,000 dollars worth of stuff in it? Maybe in a rich school district, but I garuantee you that's not anywhere close to where I live. And I doubt that a ballistic student would not go around and make sure that he/she has destroyed every bit of every thing in a classroom. "Ooops, I forgot to destroy that over their, let me go do it real fast." yeah right....

And I would certainly be more willing to replace a "$50,000" dollar classroom than have to payout millions for a student's death, and live with the death of a student on my conscience.

Maybe we should arm teachers and allow them to shoot students in the leg if they become disruptive. Most students can survive being shot in the leg.

Forum List

Back