Yuck! New Cookies Let Dogs Share With Owners

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
NEW YORK - Joseph Masone took a frilly looking, cream-filled sandwich cookie from the supermarket's sample tray, nodded thanks to the servers, and went to take a bite. Then he saw the box's label: Sandwich Cookie Treat For Dogs. Masone, 83, put the cookie down.

On the other side of the table, loyal Three Dog Bakery workers quickly began making their case — their product is so fetching that humans also will lap it up.

Three Dogs Bakery managers were in Manhattan grocery stores Wednesday to promote their new sandwich cookie that looks like an Oreo cookie, but is made with carob instead of chocolate, which is bad for dogs. Like all the company's products, the treats, called Lick 'n Crunch, are made entirely with human quality ingredients.

Masone was skeptical at first, but he bit the cookie, mulled it over, and declared he liked it.

The Three Dog Bakery workers brought a few treats outside to give to Tommy, Masone's poodle, and he seemed to enjoy it even more than his owner.

Masone said he was sold.

"Me and Tommy will eat them together," he said, with a box of cookies under his arm.

Three Dogs Bakery sells biscuits, cookies, cakes, and meals, and while the company boasts that the food is good enough for humans to eat, it's intended for dogs.

"We're not trying to market to humans," said CEO Robert Islinger. "We're trying to explain that there's pet food and there's a new category called food for pets. So many Americans feel their pet is a member of their family, and that's who's our customer."

Kansas City-based Three Dog Bakery hopes its unconventional model can grab a chunk of the $14.5 billion Americans spent on pet food in 2005.

And the executives say they can vouch for their products because they've eaten them.

"We eat every treat before we give it to a dog," said Islinger. "I've eaten most everything." The Three Dogs cookies are more expensive than traditional dog treats. Food Emporium sells a box of the Lick 'n Crunch for $5.99, while Iams dog biscuits sell for $2.99.

If the shoppers at a Food Emporium grocery store Wednesday were any indication, the company might stand a chance.

"I know it sounds crazy, but if there's nothing in the house, there's a cookie you can share," said Sue-Anne Greenfield, who has two poodles at home.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050413/ap_on_fe_st/canine_cookies

I make my own dog treats. It is too easy and much better for your dog than that corn meal junk that you buy at stores. I taste the batter...why not , it is all human food, and i tasted the finished product. dry, very, very dry. I use the carob. Dogs love that. It is a really simple recipe and much easier than most would expect.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe
Milk Bone Dog Biscuits
3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3 cups whole wheat flour

Variation: increase margarine to 1/2 cup and add 2 teaspoons sugar
In large bowl pour hot water over the margarine. Stir in powdered milk, salt, and egg. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Knead for a few minutes to form stiff dough. Pat or roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into bone shapes. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool. They will dry out quite hard. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds of biscuits. Costs around 30 cents per pound.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe: Milk Bone Dog Biscuits

i am not sure about the 30 cents a lb with todays prices. I add a carob paste that you get at the local health food store. It is the chocolate flavor that dogs can eat. I dont have dog shaped biscuits cutters. My bad. I made two sticks 1/2 in thick, the thickness of the idea treat apparently, use paperment paper under the sticks ...flip the dough out...and then rough over the 1/2 in thick sticks, slice up with a knife ( a pizza cutter would be idea) and bake. I store them in a zip lock baggie. One batch makes quite a bit. If you have a reall small dog I would maybe 1/2 the recipe. They last for a good while. 6 or 7 days at least. I have a 94 lb dog and 68 lb dog, but they still last for a week or so.

Sounds like a great way to get roundworms.

Dogs lick their own butts, folks.

i dont 'share' treats with my dogs....i tasted the recipe batter and the finished treats....all ingrediants are human quality.

o and que surprise all people have worms....you can get them from walking barefoot etc....but you do have worms... of many types...with or without animals.....have a good one

:eek: This is why we do NOT eat at McDonalds anymore! :cuckoo:

2098754541_b297531e91_o.jpg

there are "frosty paws" a frozen treat for dogs....you can make them yourself...just google.."frosty paws recipes for dogs"

and lets not forget "pin worms" Most little kids have them.

Forum List

Back