Your Office software history

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Way back... on a mainframe terminal it was dBase (spreadsheet) and WordPerfect.
Around 1994ish I think, got the first WFW PC and then it was Lotus 123 and WordPerfect
Used that till probably about 1998. And the company bought a multi-license of M$ Office.
In 1999 I went into Systems and started using Linux. I used Corel Office for about 2 years.
Then I went to FreeOffice for a little while.
Then Open Office for several-several years.
Then Libre... and still with it. Probably 7-8 years now.

Around 1994ish I think, got the first WFW PC and then it was Lotus 123 and WordPerfect
Used that till probably about 1998. And the company bought a multi-license of M$ Office.
In 1999 I went into Systems and started using Linux. I used Corel Office for about 2 years.
I've been an Office suite user since the early 2000s. Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint. Lazy I guess. I learned to use them and they've met my purposes although it is only a matter of time before Gates quits supporting Office 2010 and I'll be SOL.

I've been an Office suite user since the early 2000s. Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint. Lazy I guess. I learned to use them and they've met my purposes although it is only a matter of time before Gates quits supporting Office 2010 and I'll be SOL.
Nothing wrong with it... other than the cost.
Libre Office can do 98% of anything MS Office can do, and is interchangeable. (You can open any MS Office document with Libre)
Advanced users using complicated macros etc. would probably stick with Excel, but then again, if you are getting that complicated database software makes excel look like an Abacus

I've used MS Office for two decades. No need to change. Yeah, it costs. All the good things in life do.

I avoid anything Microsoft, apart from Windows. So I used to use Lotus, until Windows 10 came along and it won't allow to install Lotus, so I use OpenOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox. On my mobile phone, Chrome works better.

I tried doing the MS business 360 thing or whatever the hell they call it these days during the scamdemic. I found it too cumbersome.

I used to use Quattro Pro, then advanced onto Lotus 123. As Windows won't allow Lotus to install, I now use OpenOffice.

What is Libre? Is it better than OpenOffice?

I used to use Quattro Pro, then advanced onto Lotus 123. As Windows won't allow Lotus to install, I now use OpenOffice.

What is Libre? Is it better than OpenOffice?
I chose Libre because it supported 100% any M$ Document and can save any document you make as M$.
OpenOffice would make errors, especially Word documents that contained images or any macros.
I can't speak on OpenOffice now, because I haven't tried it in years.

You were behind the curve. Lotus came out in 1983, Wordperfect was ported to MS-DOS the year before. I had already been using Wyse PC's for CNC programming starting in 1981.

Those were the first real business apps for the PC, and what made them into office computers.

By the mid-90's we were on the fourth generation on Intel based systems- Pentium replaced 80386 in 1993...

You were behind the curve. Lotus came out in 1983, Wordperfect was ported to MS-DOS the year before. I had already been using Wyse PC's for CNC programming starting in 1981.

Those were the first real business apps for the PC, and what made them into office computers.

By the mid-90's we were on the fourth generation on Intel based systems- Pentium replaced 80386 in 1993...
Prior to that we were still using client-server terminals. It had dBase and Wordperfect, but was mono of course.

Forum List

Back