Your Favorite Things About Israel

What a difficult question. I've never been there and frankly I don't expect to get there....but you never know. Dunno really; just good people for the most part I suppose. Plus all that cool stuff that is in The British Museum.

Greg

Only 45 minutes flight time away from me might now. But they are closing the borders.

I’ve visited many times in the past.

We wish you a Shabat Shalom!
To many happy and hopeful blessings in the coming year!

81ECF613-1CF6-4B83-89E4-CAAAB6C12428.jpeg

a-KHAR ha-d’-va-REEM ha-AY-leh gi-DAL ha-ME-lekh a-khash-vay-ROSH et ha-MAN BEN ha-m’-DA-ta ha-a-ga-GEE vai-na-s’-AY-hu va-YA-sem et kis-O may-AL kol ha-sa-REEM a-SHER i-TO​
After these events transpired, King Ahasuerus promoted Haman, the son of Hammedatha the Agagite and raised his stature. He placed his governmental position above the other ministers who were with him.​

The Sages teach that Haman was referred to as an Agagite because he descended from the Amalekite king Agag. When King Shaul was instructed to eradicate the evil Amalekites, he fell short of fulfilling Hashem’s command when he kept alive their king and some of their animals (I Samuel 15). Amalek represents the epitome of evil, as they sought to destroy the People of Israel with particular cruelty following the Exodus from Egypt for no particular reason. Therefore, Hashem commands the Children of Israel to wipe out this tribe of evil doers (Exodus 17:14-16 and Deuteronomy 25:19). Throughout history, there have been continual battles with Amalek such as the one described in Megillat Esther. Often it looks like Amalek or their successors might be victorious. However, in the end God’s people will always succeed. This is one of the great lessons of Jewish history. Though it may take many years, the Jewish People will always overcome their enemies.​

6F8FA858-28E4-49DE-990B-E5D0165898D3.jpeg

C65D248B-75E5-409D-BCA2-01B949D7AF50.png

Perhaps the most well-known early evidence of Purim costumes comes from a 15th century Italian text written by Rabbi Yehuda Mintz (aka Judah Minz) of Padua, who determined that dressing in costume on Purim (even as the opposite gender) was permitted as part of the happy and fun spirit of the holiday.

While this specific custom may be relatively "modern", costumes certainly play a pretty significant role in the ancient story of Esther (read on Purim tonight and tomorrow), as well as in this week's Torah portion, "Tetzaveh", which deals largely with the ornate clothing worn by the ancient Israelite priests, "holy garments… for splendor and for glory."

When Queen Esther gets ready to ask King Akhashverosh (Ahasuerus) to save the Jewish people, she "clothed herself regally," and it seemed to pay off!

Later, in the memorable scene in which Mordecai is finally rewarded for having saved the king's life, the evil Haman is ordered to dress Mordecai in royal garments and declare, "So shall be done to the man whom the king wishes to honor!"

These images of the splendorous Queen Esther's coronation and appearance before the king come from a stunning 17th century Esther Scroll (megillah) from Ferrara, Italy (not too far from Padua), now part of the National Library of Israel's collection in Jerusalem.

To read more about it and see the whole thing: https://tinyurl.com/662ue6rk

Happy Purim and Shabbat Shalom from ancient Shushan via Renaissance Italy and present-day Jerusalem!

I respect Israel for its restraint in dealing with the Palestinians. One of my favorite things about Israel. Face it, Israel has the capability to annihilate the Palestinians but lack the desire, whereas the Palestinians have the desire to annihilate the Israeli's but lack the capability. Let us all join together & pray it remains that way. LET THERE BE PEACE ALREADY!

A perfectly preserved large woven basket dating back some 10,500 years was unearthed in the Judean Desert, the Antiquities Authority announced Tuesday.

Experts believe the artifact is probably the oldest of its kind ever uncovered. It was excavated in a Judean Desert cave by the IAA in cooperation with the Civil Administration’s Archaeology Department.

1AA333D5-85C8-40F1-BDCF-B0309333D43A.jpeg

Mashishi regards the analogy between the apartheid regime and the modern State of Israel in the same way as Holocaust denial — an elaborate, willful lie that is repeated over and again.

“I went to Israel in 2018, it was amazing for me,” Mashishi remembered. “I had been speaking about Israel without knowing it. And then I went there and I saw the difference between the reality and what the media feeds us. Arabs and Jews on the same buses, living in the same neighborhoods, Arabs running their own businesses. And yet we have this narrative about apartheid!”

He continued: “I was a child during apartheid and my parents lived under it. We [the Black majority population] were segregated by law. If you rode a bus, you would see written, ‘Blacks only’. Signs were written only in Afrikaans and English. In Israel, the signs are written in Hebrew, Arabic and English.”

Forum List

Back