You will never chop onions the same way again.

Good info! I never liked the cut towards your hand thing but I usually peel first and then cut a grid and then chop down. His way is easier.
Can't believe I'm 58 and never knew this trick until a few months ago.
And I've worked in restaurants years ago and learned a lot of cooking tips from my mom and grandparents and can't recall seeing anyone do it like this ! I put onions in almost everything though...wait until you try this...just make sure to use a good sharp knife of course.

I don't like onions.
118.gif

Good info! I never liked the cut towards your hand thing but I usually peel first and then cut a grid and then chop down. His way is easier.
And I've worked in restaurants years ago and learned a lot of cooking tips from my mom and grandparents and can't recall seeing anyone do it like this ! I put onions in almost everything though...wait until you try this...just make sure to use a good sharp knife of course.
There are two reasons I do not to cut onions the way Steve does it, and both have to do with bleeding.

First of all, the instant you cut the root off of some onions they will start bleeding a lot because you have cut the seal on the vacuum that stops the juices from freely pouring out. This releases chemicals into the air that can make your eyes water and your nose run. And generally, you do want your bodily fluids involved in the food preparation process. Steve says he does not understand the purpose of leaving the root on the onion while you are slicing it, well, now you know. It's to help prevent tears and the root also acts as a third hand by holding one end together.

The second reason is that, as Steve even admits in his video, you are in danger of cutting your thumb when you use his method. And I'm sure he's probably cut his thumb a few time doing it that way. One little mistake and you get your blood all over everything. The onions, the knife, the cutting board and whatever. Again, you generally do want your bodily fluids involved in the food preparation process. It's unsanitary.

It's better to learn to use a claw grip, like the pros. Watch how this guy holds the onion compared the way Steve holds the onion. Notice how his thumb is always tucked in rather than sticking out. And he is NOT cutting towards his hand.

And notice that he uses a chef's knife rather than a steak knife like Steve does.

Last edited:
There are two reasons I do not to cut onions the way Steve does it, and both have to do with bleeding.

First of all, the instant you cut the root off of some onions they will start bleeding a lot because you have cut the seal on the vacuum that stops the juices from freely pouring out. This releases chemicals into the air that can make your eyes water and your nose run. And generally, you do want your bodily fluids involved in the food preparation process. Steve says he does not understand the purpose of leaving the root on the onion while you are slicing it, well, now you know. It's to help prevent tears and the root also acts as a third hand by holding one end together.

The second reason is that, as Steve even admits in his video, you are in danger of cutting your thumb when you use his method. And I'm sure he's probably cut his thumb a few time doing it that way. One little mistake and you get your blood all over everything. The onions, the knife, the cutting board and whatever. Again, you generally do want your bodily fluids involved in the food preparation process. It's unsanitary.

It's better to learn to use a claw grip, like the pros. Watch how this guy holds the onion compared the way Steve holds the onion. Notice how his thumb is always tucked in rather than sticking out. And he is NOT cutting towards his hand.

And notice that he uses a chef's knife rather than a steak knife like Steve does.

Steve's way is the only way I do it now, and most onions don't make me cry anyway. But thanks for the information. I'm sure there'll be sometime when it will be useful knowledge.

Thanks, that's pretty cool. In 30 min I'm making steak fajitas and will try it.

For the criers run your onion under cold water after peeled and before the cuts. I don't cry either, wifes trick.

Steve's way is the only way I do it now, and most onions don't make me cry anyway. But thanks for the information. I'm sure there'll be sometime when it will be useful knowledge.

He's using sweet onions. You can tell by the shape. The bulbs look squashed rather than globular. They don't contain as much of the chemicals that make people tear up.

His hands are weak and not very dexterous so his knife skills are very iffy/sloppy. But he does have some good recipes. I tried his copy McDonald's fries recipe. He blanches them in hot water mixed with sugar and corn oil. I must admit, they do taste just like them.

....But he does have some good recipes. I tried his copy McDonald's fries recipe. He blanches them in hot water mixed with sugar and corn oil. I must admit, they do taste just like them.
I actually knew about the McDonald's fries recipe before from somewhere, except you really don't have to go through that whole process. The way I usually do fries is just basically fry them twice. Russett's work the best from my experience......peel, cut into fries ( I like them bigger than McD...), deep fry for 10 minutes, remove from oil and let cool ( in the freezer iyw)....then when you're ready for them.....reheat the oil and finish them up....drain on paper towels -sprinkle sea salt. No soaking in water or any of that other stuff is really necessary, imo. And they come out crispy and not greasy ( make sure the fry temp is right.)

Yeah... so cutting an onion with a steak knife... uh... no.
I use to leave the root on like Muhammed said, but I haven't for awhile because by the time I cut the root off, I already have the onion diced in maybe 6 or 7 seconds and shoved into the pot/pan.
As with cutting anything, the knife you choose is the most important part.

Forum List

Back