Yet Another Thread On The Politics Forum About Climate Change. This One In FAVOR Of It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
Prelude/Reboot

OK folks. I'm tired of the bullshit. DOZENS of anti-climate change "science" based threads where broad generalizations supposedly refuting climate change as a legitimate phenomenon clog the politics forum. Yet when I made a thread supporting climate change as a real thing....WHAM...into the "environmental forum" it went.

So I came to the boards today to find this on the politics forum: What Passes for Science in Leftist Land: 12 Year Olds Changing Environmental Laws

So in the interest of fair play and free speech; and the ability to refute or rebut the argument WHERE IT EXISTS...and not behind bars somewhere in tiny cell, I DEMAND this thread STAY on the politics forum until such time as ALL threads discussing the ins and outs of science related to climate change are REMOVED and put ALSO in the "environment forum".

As the atmosphere, which acts like a shield and blanket at the same time, begins to disappear from destructive chemical reactions caused by things men are doing on the earth's surface, you would expect colder winters as CLIMATE CHANGE continues (not "Warming" per se)

In the Winter, with a thinner "blanket" you would expect colder-colds. In the Summer, guess what we find? Warmer warms as the shield function of our atmosphere thins.

I guess some people think it's fun to look at climate change like an infant. That way the pesky little details of what's actually happening can be denied. That way, industry doesn't have to encounter the hassles and expense of complying with global climate practices aimed at saving our planet. The simple minded greedy apes just want their bunches of bananas. They don't want to hear about the inconvenient details of how their greed is destroying their home.

"But for awhile there we were having much cooler Summers than normal!"..

Yes, yes we were. Again, climate change deniers will have to stretch their taxed little brains further to understand the "silly" science behind all the mystery.

Water, which is also ice, which makes up the ice caps on both poles of our planet, is a funny element. It has what is known in chemistry as a "high specific heat". What that means is, that it takes a lot of energy to change it from a solid to a liquid, a liquid to a gas, or a gas to a plasma. Many other compounds or elements do not need as much heat as water to do this. As an element or molecule, like water, approaches a phase change from solid ice to liquid water, it takes on the most energy in the form of heat to complete the phase change.

So, to put that in layman's terms, while the Summer's were cooler, the ice caps' acceleration in melting were "stealing the heat" from the atmosphere....which we all felt on our skins as "a cooler Summer". "So climate change isn't really happening!!" Except that it is. Just not the neat little way that most minds would like to box it in.

Do three experiments at home that will help you understand the full scope of how our climate is changing for the worse as far as organic life is concerned.

1. The ice cube experiment. Put an ice chunk on the counter in a warm home. Hold your hand away from it. Then hold your hand near it. As your hand comes near to it, but doesn't actually touch it, you will feel cold. That is because as the ice melts, it is stealing heat from the immediate surroundings, including your hand as it approaches. Put a fan behind the ice chunk next. Place your hand in front of the stream of air blowing past the chunk. You'll notice cold too; and this will accelerate the melting of the ice. This is how the warmer wind functions blowing across the ice caps in Summer. The size of the ice caps are their ability to make the "false cool Summers" more noticeable. As they shrink in size, these cool Summers will not be felt as widely.

2. The atmosphere "blanket" test. Now that it's Winter, you can go outside and try this simple test. Take a thick warm blanket outside and cover yourself with it as you sit for awhile in a chair. Then, take it off and replace it with a sheet. Sit for the same amount of time. Which is colder? The thinner sheet mimics the thinning atmosphere and the colder Winters showing up as the earth's climate change.

3. The atmosphere "shield" test. In Summer, go out in the middle of July on a sunny day and sit under a solid type of shelter from the sun for awhile. Then, sit under an opaque or semi-clear piece of corrugated roofing. Or just directly in the sun without any shield. Which is hotter?

For extra credit, the Winter solstice (shortest day) is near. On that day, should the sun be shining, take an automobile headlamp reflector, remove the bulb exposing just the bulb clip. Using a pair of welding glasses for safety, place a piece of paper or a small dry piece of wood in the clip. Aim the reflector directly at the sun, even later in the day if you like. DO NOT look directly at the center of the reflector or anywhere near it, even with welding glasses. It will be at its weakest and lowest potential of energy for the entire year. Wait several seconds until the wood or paper catches fire. Douse quickly with water you have nearby.

This extra credit is the key to solving both our energy crises AND climate change. The less we damage our atmosphere with chemicals related to the petroleum industry and relying on it to give us energy, the more we can slow down the damage to everything; not the least of which, ourselves.

Virtually all power plants do is boil water to run steam turbines. Nuclear energy does this simply by heating water with radioactive materials. But it's always "apply fire to water, boil it & use the steam to run a turbine". In the case of hydro-electric, the energy of moving water turns the turbines. Moving water or moving steam, either one, turns the turbines to create a stream of electrons leaving the generator.

This can be done with the extra credit experiment I spoke about in the OP. And here's how. BTW, this isn't "solar energy" using panels. It's solar energy using the direct radioactive heat coming from the sun...just like nuclear...only we have evolved to deal with solar radiation better than plutonium..

The placement of the mirrors to the tubes is everything. BigOil funded these huge ringed jokes to discredit the industry. Meanwhile our competitors were doing the actual math of placing linear arrays near the tube-oil heating source that heats oil to 300 degrees Celsius. Yes, I said Celsius.

On days when there is less or no sun, these plants are joined to the hip with backup carbon or geothermal or wind or hydro sources. In the Southwest, where up to 300 days of pure sun can be expected in many places, the application of this technology is mandatory to replace the damaging types currently destroying our blanket/shield atmosphere.

If you don't believe the atomosphere is thinning...take it from NASA. It is.

Models predict that emissions of carbon dioxide are causing the upper atmosphere to cool and contract, and therefore reduce the density of gases in the layer spanning from 90 to 649 km (60 to 400 miles) above the surface—known as the thermosphere. According to a study by the Naval Research Laboratory, the density of the thermosphere has decreased about 10 percent over the last 35 years. NASA Visible Earth: Thinning Upper Atmosphere

And it's not getting any better as the years go by without carbon emissions coming into check.

Remember the thin vs thick blanket experiment?

1. If climate change is real, why are we having record cold Winters!! A: Because a thinner blanket means you get colder without that protection from the freezing temperatures of space around the earth.

2. If climate change is real, why did we get a few cooler Summers awhile back!? A: Because of the ice cube experiment in the OP.

3. I HAVE noticed a slightly hotter feel to the sun in Summer, and my tender ornamental plants are getting bleaching and scorching on the tips of their leaves. A: Yes, because that thinning is letting more dangerous UV radiation on your skin and your plants. My advice is, stay out of the sun and watch the UV index on days when it's high. That's NASA telling you "you're under a dangerously thin part of the atmosphere today". Listen to them.

I think I remember from chemistry that "the spaces in between" molecules have more potential to act as a distortion force for penetration (or escape) of heat. But it's been a long time. I doubt the NASA experts are that far removed from the chemistry explanation. So I'll trust they know what they're talking about. What you have to remember is that heat energy and its properties behave oddly with insulating properties.

The thicker the layers of air in between the insulation in your walls, keeps you cooler in Summer and warmer in winter. The reason thicker insulation works better is not the material used, but the greater air spaces between layers in it that act as a dampening force on the transfer of heat either direction. If you put used insulation in your walls that has been flattened, you'll cook in the Summer and freeze in the Winter. If you put new fluffy insulation with lots of air space in between fibers in your walls, you'll be comfy in both seasons. It's the same amount of fiber, but more "dense" in the flattened used insulation example. Does this make sense?

Think of our atmosphere like R-33 fluffy insulation for your walls. What carbon emissions are doing to this insulation is flattening it to become more dense (and less insulative).

Like any planet this close to a star without protection, with no, little, or thinning atmosphere, it would have very hot Summers and very cold Winters...or trends in those directions with a few anomalous situations like the cooler Summers we had a few years back due to the specific heat of water and it phase-changing from solid ice to liquid in the Summer's more unrelenting penetration of the thinning atmosphere of the sun's radiation. (Example explained in more detail in the OP)

Prelude/Reboot

OK folks. I'm tired of the bullshit. DOZENS of anti-climate change "science" based threads where broad generalizations supposedly refuting climate change as a legitimate phenomenon clog the politics forum. Yet when I made a thread supporting climate change as a real thing....WHAM...into the "environmental forum" it went.

So I came to the boards today to find this on the politics forum: What Passes for Science in Leftist Land: 12 Year Olds Changing Environmental Laws

So in the interest of fair play and free speech; and the ability to refute or rebut the argument WHERE IT EXISTS...and not behind bars somewhere in tiny cell, I DEMAND this thread STAY on the politics forum until such time as ALL threads discussing the ins and outs of science related to climate change are REMOVED and put ALSO in the "environment forum".

As the atmosphere, which acts like a shield and blanket at the same time, begins to disappear from destructive chemical reactions caused by things men are doing on the earth's surface, you would expect colder winters as CLIMATE CHANGE continues (not "Warming" per se)

In the Winter, with a thinner "blanket" you would expect colder-colds. In the Summer, guess what we find? Warmer warms as the shield function of our atmosphere thins.

I guess some people think it's fun to look at climate change like an infant. That way the pesky little details of what's actually happening can be denied. That way, industry doesn't have to encounter the hassles and expense of complying with global climate practices aimed at saving our planet. The simple minded greedy apes just want their bunches of bananas. They don't want to hear about the inconvenient details of how their greed is destroying their home.

"But for awhile there we were having much cooler Summers than normal!"..

Yes, yes we were. Again, climate change deniers will have to stretch their taxed little brains further to understand the "silly" science behind all the mystery.

Water, which is also ice, which makes up the ice caps on both poles of our planet, is a funny element. It has what is known in chemistry as a "high specific heat". What that means is, that it takes a lot of energy to change it from a solid to a liquid, a liquid to a gas, or a gas to a plasma. Many other compounds or elements do not need as much heat as water to do this. As an element or molecule, like water, approaches a phase change from solid ice to liquid water, it takes on the most energy in the form of heat to complete the phase change.

So, to put that in layman's terms, while the Summer's were cooler, the ice caps' acceleration in melting were "stealing the heat" from the atmosphere....which we all felt on our skins as "a cooler Summer". "So climate change isn't really happening!!" Except that it is. Just not the neat little way that most minds would like to box it in.

Do three experiments at home that will help you understand the full scope of how our climate is changing for the worse as far as organic life is concerned.

1. The ice cube experiment. Put an ice chunk on the counter in a warm home. Hold your hand away from it. Then hold your hand near it. As your hand comes near to it, but doesn't actually touch it, you will feel cold. That is because as the ice melts, it is stealing heat from the immediate surroundings, including your hand as it approaches. Put a fan behind the ice chunk next. Place your hand in front of the stream of air blowing past the chunk. You'll notice cold too; and this will accelerate the melting of the ice. This is how the warmer wind functions blowing across the ice caps in Summer. The size of the ice caps are their ability to make the "false cool Summers" more noticeable. As they shrink in size, these cool Summers will not be felt as widely.

2. The atmosphere "blanket" test. Now that it's Winter, you can go outside and try this simple test. Take a thick warm blanket outside and cover yourself with it as you sit for awhile in a chair. Then, take it off and replace it with a sheet. Sit for the same amount of time. Which is colder? The thinner sheet mimics the thinning atmosphere and the colder Winters showing up as the earth's climate change.

3. The atmosphere "shield" test. In Summer, go out in the middle of July on a sunny day and sit under a solid type of shelter from the sun for awhile. Then, sit under an opaque or semi-clear piece of corrugated roofing. Or just directly in the sun without any shield. Which is hotter?

For extra credit, the Winter solstice (shortest day) is near. On that day, should the sun be shining, take an automobile headlamp reflector, remove the bulb exposing just the bulb clip. Using a pair of welding glasses for safety, place a piece of paper or a small dry piece of wood in the clip. Aim the reflector directly at the sun, even later in the day if you like. DO NOT look directly at the center of the reflector or anywhere near it, even with welding glasses. It will be at its weakest and lowest potential of energy for the entire year. Wait several seconds until the wood or paper catches fire. Douse quickly with water you have nearby.

This extra credit is the key to solving both our energy crises AND climate change. The less we damage our atmosphere with chemicals related to the petroleum industry and relying on it to give us energy, the more we can slow down the damage to everything; not the least of which, ourselves.

This shit belongs in the Satire section. lmao

Well when those people change their lifestyles to reflect that let us know.
The point is when your voice is duct-taped and you're thrown in a small cell while your opponents get a bull horn in front of a stadium...it's hard to educate people THAT they should change their lifestyles...

If *whoever* threw my thread in the "environment forum" against my repeated protests is not afraid of the data I present changing anyone's view on climate change, then why did they feel they had to hide my thread from 10x more viewers down in "environment"?

poppycock. I am not doing the GW dance in 2017! I am starting now. stop it.

The Earth is a giant ball of rock (on fire in the middle). The Earth is Orbiting around another giant ball of fire.

Nothing anyone does on Earth is going to change weather long term.

Pollution is bad. clean up what you can. I don't want to pay for your "studies".

Not unless ALL threads about climate change are put there. Capiche?

Sort of which one of these things is not like the other type of deal.
Yeah. It's all subjective. For instance, I think it's satire that as people's towns are being torn up by swarms of tornados and snownadoes and as I watch the tips of the leaves on all the trees, shrubs and grasses bleach in mid-Summer like in all my 52 years I've never seen before...and as I gaze on the satellite photos of the shrinking ice caps and watch the sea creep closer and closer to settlements & roads near it...I think "people who are refusing to acknowledge climate change are hilarious."

Sort of which one of these things is not like the other type of deal.
Yeah. It's all subjective. For instance, I think it's satire that as people's towns are being torn up by swarms of tornados and snownadoes and as I watch the tips of the leaves on all the trees, shrubs and grasses bleach in mid-Summer like in all my 52 years I've never seen before...and as I gaze on the satellite photos of the shrinking ice caps and watch the sea creep closer and closer to settlements & roads near it...I think "people who are refusing to acknowledge climate change are hilarious."

Yes, they invented drought in 2016, who knew?

You spend much time watching sea level changes in the millimeters?

Antarctic sea ice is growing.

In some places but shrinking in others down there. Shall we ask the polar bears what's happening on the other side of the globe?

Want me to post some pics of the (no longer) permafrost melting and wrecking people's foundations up North?

Go sell your snake oil in the lounge section.
Yes, you're wanting this thread to be off the politics forum unlike ALL the other threads on (against) climate change. Why is that if you don't fear the facts on page 1? :eusa_think:

Because page 1 has no facts and thus should not be feared.

poppycock. I am not doing the GW dance in 2017! I am starting now. stop it.

The Earth is a giant ball of rock (on fire in the middle). The Earth is Orbiting around another giant ball of fire.

Nothing anyone does on Earth is going to change weather long term.

Pollution is bad. clean up what you can. I don't want to pay for your "studies".

Exactly, We could detonate all the Nuke weapons in the world and it would mean shit to mother earth ..

We are nothing but fleas on her back.

Last edited:
Because page 1 has no facts and thus should not be feared.

Then why advocate it be moved while others anti climate change all get to stay? Do you have a monopoly on truth and/or free speech to oppose your stance? You're definitely afraid of something if you want this thread moved and all the others to stay. Propaganda for BigOil much?

In some places but shrinking in others down there. Shall we ask the polar bears what's happening on the other side of the globe?

Want me to post some pics of the (no longer) permafrost melting and wrecking people's foundations up North?

I explained to the polar bear it was climate change and people had nothing to do with it. He seemed okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back