Yes, Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power Sucks

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Full Disclosure: Big Hobbit fan since I was a child. Yes, Iā€™ve only watched the first two shows, and I struggle to make myself watch the third.

Much of Hollywood fails to understand one basic principle in writing movies and shows - youā€™ve got to have a majority of the characters LIKABLE.

Think about it. Every show or movie you like has characters youā€™d like to sit down and have a beer with.

Rings of power has maybe 5% I donā€™t want to slap. Or worse.

Hobbits look worse than those living under the freeway overpass. A couple of chicks do whatā€™s right - which Tolkien had almost all doing - and the rest are a bunch of whiners.

Story is slooooow and convoluted. I hate action movies, I need a storyline. But this is waaaay too much.

Could have been great. $1,000,000,000 down the toilet.

FZnRavSWQAE_7s1-1.jpg

Full Disclosure: Big Hobbit fan since I was a child. Yes, Iā€™ve only watched the first two shows, and I struggle to make myself watch the third.

As I predicted long before I actually watched them, the Hobbit movies suffer from a very bad case of what I call ā€œPandorumā€, after a movie that I consider to be the model organism for the condition. Basically, a very good story, stretched way too thin, dragged out far too long.

I knew it was going to happen, when I learned that it was going to span three movies.

It made sense for Lord of the Rings to be three very long movies. Lord of the Rings is a very big story. Even in the extended forms of the movies, there is stuff that had to be cut from the story to make it fit. I particularly wish that they had somehow made room for ā€œThe Scouring of the Shireā€.

After the huge success of the Lord of the Rings movies, I can see how Peter Jackson and his gang felt that in making The Hobbit, they needed to make it at least as grand as they made Lord of the Rings. But The Hobbit just is not that big a story; there's not even a third as much to it as to Lord of the Rings. In stretching it out as far as they did, they diluted what there was to the story, and made it too slow-paced, and just too damn long.

Much of Hollywood fails to understand one basic principle in writing movies and shows - youā€™ve got to have a majority of the characters LIKABLE.

Think about it. Every show or movie you like has characters youā€™d like to sit down and have a beer with.

Hobbits look worse than those living under the freeway overpass. A couple of chicks do whatā€™s right - which Tolkien had almost all doing - and the rest are a bunch of whiners.

Story is slooooow and convoluted. I hate action movies, I need a storyline. But this is waaaay too much.

I must be the only viewer in the world, who so far, likes this show.

I could find a few nits to pick, here and there, but on the whole, I think it's going well.

Precisely. They did the same thing with another classic called WHEEL OF TIME by Robert Jordan. He was quite gifted using descriptive language and NOT ONE of the actors chosen to play the various characters resembled his descriptions in the slightest. That said, it wasn't as bad as it might have been but it wasn't nearly as good, either. I only discovered this series about 3 years ago and I highly recommend the books. IIRC there are 14 in all.

I could not watch rings of power. It would be like watching an old friend be deliberately disfigured.

The goal is to improve everything by diversity inclusion and equity DIE. What the diversity gods don't care about is that there are millions of fans who liked Tolkien just the way it was.

It really cost that much? Not a fan of the hobbits but I saw the first two episodes and it seem ok. Not sure if I will continue it because my rule is continue only if I get hooked by the 3rd episode. There are just too series to consider watching and not enough time. I hate to waste 5 or 6 hours or more on one these things only to wish I had watched something else.

Last edited:
As a part of Amazon's drive to create interest for this show - all of the original Lord of the Rings series is free.
We watched Fellowship of the Ring last night. We had not seen it since it was released.
Instead of making me interested in watching the new series - it had an opposite effect.
It makes me want to watch it even less.
All it really did was to put an exclamation point on how poorly done the new series is.
The original series is a lesson on how it is done. How you introduce the back story, the characters, and then tell the story in an interesting way that captivates the audience.
The new series is a lesson on how not to do it. Make the back story confusing, introduce characters without explaining who they are or why they do what they do. And then depend on cool graphics and scenery to keep people interested because you believe that is more important that good story telling

It has 90 percent in fake woke critic reviews but only 30 percent in actual folks reviews

I forced myself to watch it all the way to the end of the first season. Still hate it. Especially the girl that plays galadriel, and those dirty people who never take a bath, wear raggedy clothes and use leaves and twigs in their hair...early Hobbits I guess. They insult Hobbits with their very presence. Kinda like neanderthals before they evolved into Shire Folk.

Good news a big animated iMovie about Rohan is coming early 24

Forum List

Back