The Best Movie Musicals of the 1940's

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
There weren't many great movie musicals in the 40's. The Office of War Information reviewed movies to make sure they had a parotic message. It was much easier and cheaper to produce dramas and comedies with bad guy Nazis than musicals so that is what Hollywood produced during the war years. There were a number of musical produced after the war but most of these didn't come close to the those made in the golden era of musicals that followed.. There were a few exceptions that were really good.

Yankee Doodle Dandy made in 1942, is based on the life of George M. Cohan. It has a good story with a strong patriotic message and great music and dancing. Cagney who was stereotyped as the kingpin of the underworld in the thirties surprised audiences with his singing and dancing. The movie got very good reviews and won 5 academy awards. Cagney's dancing and singing captivated audience because it was really unique. However as one critic said, "Cagney can't dance or sing but, he is such an incredibly good actor and he gives such a vigorous performance, he convinces his audiences that he is a great singer and dancer which he is not. The fact is Cagney was never trained as dancer or singer. This movie is well worth seeing just to watch Cagney perform. My only criticism of the movie is that it does not really portray Cohan accurately. The basic facts of his life are correct but there was a lot of literary license taken. For example, Cohan was awarded the Metal Honor by Roosevelt for his war effort, however the scene with Cagney and Roosevelt never happened, still it is good movie to watch even today.

Meet Me in St. Louis made in 1942 with Judy Garland was another good musical. It was a gigantic success both at the box and with critics. Judy Garland was perfect in the movie and the songs were great. AFI rates it as the 10th best musical ever made. Judy Garland made 5 other good musicals in 40s, which include Easter Parade and Strike Up the Band.

Song of the South was made in 1946. I know this may upset some folks, but it is one of the better musicals of the decade. It is based on the Uncle Remus stories as adapted by Joel Chandler Harris. It is a simple story of Johnny, a young boy visiting his grandmother on a plantation where he hears the tales of Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, and Br'er Bear from Uncle Remus, an elderly plantation worker. Johnny learns from the stories how to cope with the challenges he is experiencing while living on the plantation. The boy thinks of the tales and the movie switches to animation bringing the characters to life. There were 14 original songs written for the movie which includes Zip-A-Dee-Dah which won an academy award as did James Baskett who played Uncle Remus. Kid's around the country loved the song and the animation of "Every Body Has a Laughing Place". The movie was so popular with kids that that dolls, games, coloring books, figurines were in all the toy stores. Song of South would have been a Disney classic had it not been for the fact that Disney created an idyllic plantation where blacks and whites lived happily together. The NAACP objected that this idyllic master-slave relationship was a distortion of the facts. Disney has responded by locking the master away deep in it's vault, never to be shown again. You won't find Song of the South on any of the popular streaming services. However, I have provided a link below to the complete film. Be warned it has some very racist scenes which shows black and white people living together happily on the plantation. Now, if Disney had thrown in a couple of scenes with a slave master beating some of slaves then we would probably have this film available today. The link below is the full movie, one of the few on the Internet. The quality of the film is not good as it has never been restored. Films that have been deemed not fit for audiences today, don't get restored.

Last edited:
I love some of the older movies but I was never much of a fan of musicals. I think my favorite is THIS quirky little gem. I fell in love with Carole Lombard 50 years or so after she died :(

I love some of the older movies but I was never much of a fan of musicals. I think my favorite is THIS quirky little gem. I fell in love with Carole Lombard 50 years or so after she died :(

When I was younger, I too was not a fan of musicals. They seem so silly, people bursting out into song and dance on a busy street or in a hotel lobby. Then I saw Singing in the Rain with a girl I was dating. I thought, another silly musical which it was, but I found myself laughing even though it was really stupid. Later I saw Camelot on Broadway with the same girl. This time, it was the story I liked; it was both happy and sad and the music certainly enhanced the story. Well, I married the girl and we have been watching major musicals for over 50 years.

In order to enjoy musicals you have to understand they are fantasies. After asking the girl you love to marry you and she says yes, you may feel like shouting, dancing, and singing, and telling the world how you feel. Being rational human beings we don't do that, we keep it all bottled up. In musicals they let it all hang out, expressing to the world joy and sadness in music and dance.

I enjoyed My Man Godfrey. There was a remake in 1957 with David Niven and June Allyson. It was a pleasant little comedy but was not near as good as the original. Here is a link to the 1957 remake.

It says it's not available but it is.

Last edited:
This is the Army was made in 1943 when the US was in the middle of WWII. It was a result of the plea (order) from Washington for Hollywood to jump into supporting the war effort with both feet. Jack Warner was not to be out done by other studios. He selected the 1942 Broadway Irving Berlin musical, This is the Army for the silver screen. Warner pulled out all the stops to make this movie. Just about every star under contract was in the movie. It took priority at Warner Bros and was completed in 4 mos.

The movie is actually a showcase for Irving Berlin's most patriotic songs. The plot is a bit thin but with the great music, who cares. When Kate Smith sang "God Bless America", It surely sent a chill up the spine or brought a tear to the eye of many Americans both then and today.

The movie grossed over 9 million and it was all donated to the Army Relief Fund. Although, I don't consider this a great musical, it is worth seeing just for the music and to get a felling of how Hollywood responded to the war. This is something that we will probably never see again.

A couple of interesting side notes:
  • Irving Belin sang one of his song in the movie.
  • Many of the soldiers who had participated in the movie held reunions every five years after the end of World War II. Their tenth and final reunion (1992) was held in New York's Theater District.
Here is a list of songs in movie.
  • "It's Your Country and My Country"
  • "My Sweetie"
  • "Poor Little Me"
  • "We're On Our Way to France"
  • "Goodbye, France"
  • "God Bless America"
  • "What Does He Look Like"
  • "This Is The Army, Mr. Jones"
  • "I'm Getting Tired So I Can Sleep"
  • "Mandy"
  • "Ladies of the Chorus"
  • "That's What the Well Dressed Man in Harlem Will Wear"
  • "How About a Cheer for the Navy"
  • "I Left My Heart at the Stage Door Canteen"
  • "With My Head in the Clouds/American Eagles"
  • "Oh, How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning"
  • "This Time
Here is the complete movie:

Last edited:
Anchors Away 1945
Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra

What I remember most about this movie is Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry the mouse of the cartoon series Tom and Jerry. The pluses in the movie are a great cast for a musical, Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, and Kathern Grayson and Jerry the mouse. It also has a lot of good musical numbers. On the negative side I can't recall any plot but I guess there was one and the movie is pretty long. Critics did not like it much but it made a ton of money at the box office.

What I remember most about this movie is Gene Kelly dancing with Jerry the mouse of the cartoon series Tom and Jerry. The pluses in the movie are a great cast for a musical, Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, and Kathern Grayson and Jerry the mouse. It also has a lot of good musical numbers. On the negative side I can't recall any plot but I guess there was one and the movie is pretty long. Critics did not like it much but it made a ton of money at the box office.

"On The Town" 1948. "The Bronx is up and the Battery's down The people ride in a hole in the ground".
A great musical. It was adapted from the Broadway Musical in 1944. The movie was a lot different form the Broadway production because it dropped most Bernstein's music and the script was changed.

There weren't many great movie musicals in the 40's. The Office of War Information reviewed movies to make sure they had a parotic message. It was much easier and cheaper to produce dramas and comedies with bad guy Nazis than musicals so that is what Hollywood produced during the war years. There were a number of musical produced after the war but most of these didn't come close to the those made in the golden era of musicals that followed.. There were a few exceptions that were really good.

Yankee Doodle Dandy made in 1942, is based on the life of George M. Cohan. It has a good story with a strong patriotic message and great music and dancing. Cagney who was stereotyped as the kingpin of the underworld in the thirties surprised audiences with his singing and dancing. The movie got very good reviews and won 5 academy awards. Cagney's dancing and singing captivated audience because it was really unique. However as one critic said, "Cagney can't dance or sing but, he is such an incredibly good actor and he gives such a vigorous performance, he convinces his audiences that he is a great singer and dancer which he is not. The fact is Cagney was never trained as dancer or singer. This movie is well worth seeing just to watch Cagney perform. My only criticism of the movie is that it does not really portray Cohan accurately. The basic facts of his life are correct but there was a lot of literary license taken. For example, Cohan was awarded the Metal Honor by Roosevelt for his war effort, however the scene with Cagney and Roosevelt never happened, still it is good movie to watch even today.

Meet Me in St. Louis made in 1942 with Judy Garland was another good musical. It was a gigantic success both at the box and with critics. Judy Garland was perfect in the movie and the songs were great. AFI rates it as the 10th best musical ever made. Judy Garland made 5 other good musicals in 40s, which include Easter Parade and Strike Up the Band.

Song of the South was made in 1946. I know this may upset some folks, but it is one of the better musicals of the decade. It is based on the Uncle Remus stories as adapted by Joel Chandler Harris. It is a simple story of Johnny, a young boy visiting his grandmother on a plantation where he hears the tales of Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, and Br'er Bear from Uncle Remus, an elderly plantation worker. Johnny learns from the stories how to cope with the challenges he is experiencing while living on the plantation. The boy thinks of the tales and the movie switches to animation bringing the characters to life. There were 14 original songs written for the movie which includes Zip-A-Dee-Dah which won an academy award as did James Baskett who played Uncle Remus. Kid's around the country loved the song and the animation of "Every Body Has a Laughing Place". The movie was so popular with kids that that dolls, games, coloring books, figurines were in all the toy stores. Song of South would have been a Disney classic had it not been for the fact that Disney created an idyllic plantation where blacks and whites lived happily together. The NAACP objected that this idyllic master-slave relationship was a distortion of the facts. Disney has responded by locking the master away deep in it's vault, never to be shown again. You won't find Song of the South on any of the popular streaming services. However, I have provided a link below to the complete film. Be warned it has some very racist scenes which shows black and white people living together happily on the plantation. Now, if Disney had thrown in a couple of scenes with a slave master beating some of slaves then we would probably have this film available today. The link below is the full movie, one of the few on the Internet. The quality of the film is not good as it has never been restored. Films that have been deemed not fit for audiences today, don't get restored.

I really enjoyed all these movies, especially Yankee Doodle Dandy and Songs of the south.
I lived on Gordon Street in West End 2 doors up from The Chandler House and of course just a big church in-between us.
We played in the backyard and visited it often in the 50s and I took my grandkids to s story telling there. The lady telling the story was a young black woman, so guess she didn't hear the 'racist 'part of it yet. She really got into the story and the kids in the room really enjoyed it, both black and white.

My all time favorite 1938 movie was ' The Great Waltz '.

"On The Town" 1948. "The Bronx is up and the Battery's down The people ride in a hole in the ground".
3 sailers in New York Sinatra, Kelly, and forgot the third sailor. Is this the one where they agree to meet years later in the bar?

Forum List

Back