Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

Quit renting and throwing away money. Buy a house. My house note is 485 a month and that includes full insurance coverage on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath brick home on over an acre of land with a dozen huge oak trees and it's on a recently repaved road. Oh yea, and that rate is locked in. I have a little piece of paper that guarantees that rate for the life of the loan. And paying more than the required amount will pay off the house sooner.
Bull shit.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I'm a conservative and I don't disagree with this. It's the reason I'm not a libertarian. The free market needs some oversight.

I'm sorry about this--grossly unfair.

In my mind, maintaining a level playing field IS conservative

~S~
Nope. A level playing field is what liberalism is all about.

perhaps, but then one would need agree our insane national debt an act of liberalism as well here....

~S~

One can only claim our national debt is about liberalism if you have not been paying attention.

in my mind, conservative means to 'conserve' ......not spend like drunken sailors on leave.....~S~

I'm a conservative and I don't disagree with this. It's the reason I'm not a libertarian. The free market needs some oversight.

~S~

perhaps, but then one would need agree our insane national debt an act of liberalism as well here....

~S~

One can only claim our national debt is about liberalism if you have not been paying attention.

in my mind, conservative means to 'conserve' ......not spend like drunken sailors on leave.....~S~

While that was once part of what made conservatives conservative, that is no longer a valid definition.

Quit renting and throwing away money. Buy a house. My house note is 485 a month and that includes full insurance coverage on a 3 bedroom, 2 bath brick home on over an acre of land with a dozen huge oak trees and it's on a recently repaved road. Oh yea, and that rate is locked in. I have a little piece of paper that guarantees that rate for the life of the loan. And paying more than the required amount will pay off the house sooner.
Bull shit.
1.jpg

bon appetit.....

~S~

~S~

While that was once part of what made conservatives conservative, that is no longer a valid definition.

and perhaps you're right , but you're ceratinly making it difficult to subscribe to conservatism here winter one.....~S~

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

~S~

Careful what you wish, a level playing field would mean everyone lives in a shithole.
Only in the alleged conservative mind.

~S~

and perhaps you're right , but you're ceratinly making it difficult to subscribe to conservatism here winter one.....~S~

I am not making anything difficult. I am a classic conservative. By that I mean, I believe in being fiscally conservative. I also believe in smaller gov't and less gov't interference in private lives. The problem is that the modern or current conservatives do not follow that philosophy.

~S~

Careful what you wish, a level playing field would mean everyone lives in a shithole.
Only in the alleged conservative mind.

Yeah, and only in the alleged liberal mind living in a shithole is perfectly fine.

~S~

~S~
Wait wait wait.... Which party just invreaedd the deficit when we should be shrinking it because the economy is growing?
gawd, and here i thought we'd have a lovely philisophical debate w/o going down partisan boulevard .....
radar-speed-signs-on-roosevelt-blvd-northbound-approaching-oxford-circle.0.99.887.424.752.360.c.png

~S~
Huh? You started this, not me.

What state do you live in??

Bull shit.
No it's not................if you shop around...my Brother N law is in a 3/1 on a half acre lot that has a fenced in back yard for only $350.

It's not BS........if you shop around and do a little digging.........he didn't even find it........he picked a safe area and the Real Estate company found it for him.............

Location..........location.....location.........Protectionist is retired he can move to a cheaper place ..........Not land locked.

~S~

I am not making anything difficult. I am a classic conservative. By that I mean, I believe in being fiscally conservative. I also believe in smaller gov't and less gov't interference in private lives. The problem is that the modern or current conservatives do not follow that philosophy.

I'd agree to the same parameters Winter One, in fact methinks most folks today would as well.

maybe the devil is in the details , and maybe i do not fully grasp the modern conservtaive mantra

to me gub'mit is merely a guide ,either constitutionally or ethically coaching the populace towards prosperity they can achieve by themselves

the left as well as right wishes extreemes , which almost always pave the road to perdition despite good intents

christ, maybe i'm really a moderate centrist :1041:......hold my calls while i hide under my bed!

~S~

You say the building recently changed owners. Do you know what the new owners paid for the building? Maybe the selling price was based on market rents, and not the actual revenue of the building. If that is the case, maybe the new owner has to raise the rents in order to pay the mortgage. What are other comparable buildings in the same area charging for comparable rental units?

Regardless, the rents will shortly stabilize at rates that are consistent with market conditions. If "nobody" is willing to pay the new, higher rent rates, then the building will go empty, right? But the landlord will necessarily make an adjustment to fill up the building.

A renter has no vested interest beyond the term of his lease. This unfortunate fact of life drives people to take extraordinary measures to buy a residence (condo, house, RV, whatever), so that they can complain about increases in taxes, rather than rents.

Apartments and rental units are a commodity today. Nobody wants to own, especially the Millennial generation. They rent everything from their apartment to television set.

So it's really a supply and demand issue. If everybody demands rental units instead of houses, the price goes up, and I don't see it going down anytime soon as more people line up to get apartments.

Bull shit.
No it's not................if you shop around...my Brother N law is in a 3/1 on a half acre lot that has a fenced in back yard for only $350.

It's not BS........if you shop around and do a little digging.........he didn't even find it........he picked a safe area and the Real Estate company found it for him.............

Location..........location.....location.........Protectionist is retired he can move to a cheaper place ..........Not land locked.
Ok...there is BULL and there is SHIT. Which part are you having trouble with?

Could it possibly be the prior owner sold due to not being able to afford it any longer, due to his low rent policy? You want to scream, research what the local govt was doing with taxes, regulations, etc, what was the maintenance and insurance running on the place, then come back to us. If it is not the case, then we can talk.

That's exactly it and something people don't think about.

My city started trouble with us landlord because the Mayor stated we landlords are making all this money in his city, and they're not getting a big enough cut.

Besides the property taxes we pay, we draw working tenants to this city who also pay city tax. The city doesn't consider that. So they started a goofy inspection program. Before you rent a unit out, it has to be inspected by the city first. Of course they charge you a fee for that and it creates more down time because after the unit and property is inspected, they almost always find something wrong. So then you have to fix whatever it is they dreamt up, and have it reinspected. Then after the inspection, they only give you 30 days to find a tenant. If you cannot, you have to go though the process all over again.

After you find a tenant, THEN you have to pay for an occupancy permit. This goes on with each and every tenant I rent to.

But that's still not enough. Now the city wants to have occupancy permits renewed every year, and that would cost me several hundred additional dollars.

You've taken the first steps towards common sense and liberalism.

Congratulations.

Right.

rolling eyes.gif

what do you expect when a brain surgeon who turned down the position to be sec of HHS because it was 'too complicated' (ironically though he ran for potus) then accepts the position of sec of HUD? what qualifications did he possess to be considered for such a position? cause he had the right 'look'?

trump has installed the most incompetent individuals to head every dept in order to destroy them. betsy devos for ed sec? scott pruitt & now his replacement for sec of EPA?

what did you expect was gonna happen?

And the new Medicaid Secretary sought to end Medicaid in her state of Maine.

Well thanks to Commie Care, I no longer have health insurance. But my HUD neighbors living in the suburbs next to me are likely covered by Medicaid. While I get up early every morning and go to work, their cars stay in their parking lot until about 1:00 pm.

I don't care about people on Medicaid because working people should be attended to first--not the not working or low income people. I contribute much more to society than they do, yet they get free medical care and I don't.

That's liberalism for ya.

Bull shit.

Ok...there is BULL and there is SHIT. Which part are you having trouble with?
What you believe is immaterial to me.............Happens that the home was a repossessed home and my Brother n law waited for 6 to 8 months with credit already approved for higher than that price range.......As soon as the deal came up the real estate company told him about it and he jumped on it.

In this thread I did a quick Zillow search and found about 13 pages of homes for sale under 50k..........

Again........I really don't care what you think............

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.
Yes, because unqualified people buying houses worked SO WELL last time!
He has a set income level.......and that set income level can be scheduled to be withdrawn directly from those checks.

Meaning they get paid before he does..............Guaranteeing the mortgage is paid. And we are certainly not talking about him buying a mansion.............It is always better to buy than rent unless you want your fate decided by others.............

In this area.......if you can find cheap decent land in a low crime area you can get a brand new house built here very cheap.

Perhaps not as much as where he lives now but it's possible. The cost of buying would be less than that of rent.

North Florida Models - Pensacola, FL - SS Steele Homes

Doesn't cost so much in the South to build a home...........if you know how to look...........or unless you want to get fucked by a developer and overcharged for a home. Younger people should look into this and save every penny they can to get a place of their own..................

It all depends if you live in a high cost area for housing...........Plenty of places to get affordable places to live in this country. Supply and demand works both ways as California is finding out.........People are hauling ass because it costs too much only to be replaced by illegal aliens at the work place...............People leave the companies there are screwed LOL

It's a 2 edged sword.

Many people who choose rent do not do so because it's their only choice. They simply don't want all the problems of home ownership. This is particularly true of women. Once the kids are out of the house, if the woman is alone, she has no need for a house and all the care and money it takes to keep it up-kept.

The toilet is leaking, water is coming into the basement, a window doesn't open, the lawn needs to be cut, the ceiling fan quit working are all things people don't want to deal with. When renters have a problem, they simply make a phone call and the problem is solved. It's up to the landlord to find a qualified HVAC person for a reasonable rate. It's up to the landlord to have the grass cut or the snow removed from the driveway. It's up to the landlord to find a garage door repairman to fix the garage door opener.

That's the way a lot of people want to live. It's the sign of the times.

Forum List

Back